Author Topic: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy  (Read 102742 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2009, 08:10:38 pm »
Well we've decided to do the Cape Cod Bay Challenge again this year. Most of the guys from last year are joining me again and we have a bunch of new folks that want to join in. Currently trying to decide on what charities to donate to. Doing due diligence of contributions/overhead ratio and such. We want to pick two charities this year, one ocean environmental related and my buddy Mike is insisting on one related to brain tumors....he says I inspire him. If we go that route I want it to focus on kids. My determination to fight was bolstered by a chance meeting with a 9 year old at MGH who was in much worse shape than I was but who was trying to cheer me up.

Any ideas? Something local to Boston would probably be preferable but not absolutely necessary?

http://newenglandsup.wordpress.com/2009/03/11/cape-cod-bay-challenge-2009/

Thanks,
Bob
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

cindyj

« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2009, 08:24:27 am »
Hey, Stone...I don't have any charity names for you, but just wanted to say I think it's great to have one of them going for kids.  I think I can stand just about anything that happens to me, but I can NOT stand anything bad happening to children.  And, yes, doesn't it seem that they are usually the bravest when it comes to critical illness...

Thanks!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2009, 08:32:31 am »
YES!  Definitely for kids - just yesterday I heard about a 6 YO having a surgery (probably 14 hours) on a brain tumor.  I haven't found out the kind it is but it just broke my heart - I can't even imagine what her parents  are going through.  Her name is Landry, if anyone wants to include her in their prayers...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

elliemae

« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2009, 04:00:49 pm »
Any ideas? Something local to Boston would probably be preferable but not absolutely necessary?

Hi, Bob
I'm a local from the South Shore, just like you ... and an MGH proton alum ...

what about Children's Hospital or the cancer care centers at MGH or Dana-Farber?
I'm pretty sure they all have something that would be worthy.

When I was at the MGH proton center in Nov/Dec, I met a few kids that were just amazing - and inspiring to me too!  I almost felt guilty with my little tumor seeing them with all their problems, and just playing, running around, talking up a storm.  Not everyday was like that, of course, but it was very inspiring to see them tackle their issue(s). 

Good luck on the Challenge - YOU are also an inspiration!

Elaine

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2009, 12:54:20 am »
Good ideas Elliemae...I'll have to look into what they have there. i'm sure there is something.

A long surf session today...i've started my training for the CCBC and that includes staying out surfing long after I'm tired. 5 hours in somewhat messy choppy conditions today but at least there were some fun waves mixed in. I lost count of how many rides I caught.
http://newenglandsup.wordpress.com/2009/03/21/long-beach-all-alone/
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2009, 11:28:28 pm »
The latest and greatest in standup land... ;D...at least here in New England. Some BIG waves today in Plymouth.

http://newenglandsup.wordpress.com/

cindyj

« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2009, 05:37:10 am »
Started my rowing class last night...no waves yet, in fact no water at all yet!  We were on the rowing machines (ergs ;)) to try to just start learning the correct technique...who knew there was SO much involved!  Great fun and I can't wait to actually hit the water.  Should be VERY interesting to see how my balance does when trying to get in that tiny little boat...apparently it's tough to do w/ the best of balance...and we're just trying to sit in the thing, not standup like you, Stoneaxe!

I thought of you last night, Nancy! 

Will give you guys updates after another lesson or two to let you know if I send me and all my rowing pals in the river,

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2009, 06:53:53 am »
send me and all my rowing pals in the river

So, Cindy, are you doing sweep?  Eights, fours?  Not sculling?  I teach sculling (singles).  Sweep takes less balance, more strength.  Make and model of shell if you have it.  I'm so jealous.  What river are you on?  Our lake is still frozen.  A friend who wants to learn asked when we'd be starting, and I told him, "We'll see how my balance is after this surgery."  Lots of melting going on these days, but refreeze at night, good for maple sugaring and making mud not for getting out on the water.  Sit up straight so you don't hurt your back.  Use your legs.  It is very complicated, but once you've got it, it'll be there forever.  My erg is gathering dust.  Perhaps today I could get back on it . . .  :P
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2009, 07:47:31 pm »
I'm sure you'll get it Cindy. It's great that you've found something to work towards. Make sure you get pics...most especially if you send you and your pals into the drink.... ;)

Nancy...sometime this summer we'll have to trade lessons. I'll get you on a board and you can get me in a scull....that's if I don't sink it.... ::)

cindyj

« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2009, 07:48:17 am »
Yes, Bob, I've told my husband he needs to come down to take some photos once we actually get going in a boat/shell...and, hopefully, manage to stay upright in the thing.  The challenge then becomes remembering how to post pictures on here ???

Nancy, we'll be sculling and sweeping, 2's, 4's and 8's over the course of the one month of lessons.  We will start out on a training "barge" I'm told - much wider contraption, so no way for it to tip over...we'll see :D  We're on the Chattahoochee River in Atlanta - the Atlanta Rowing Club - they put on some sort of huge annual rowing event that's supposed to be well known???  The erg didn't cause any dizziness/wonkiness for me, but I'm sure it will be a completely different story in the real thing.  Just looking at the water moving downstream makes me a bit woozy :-\

Anyway, I'll let you guys know how it goes.  Don't think we'll get to go out on the water tomorrow - still having rain, rain, rain here!!!

Cindy
feeling great!

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2009, 10:19:07 am »
You should make the trip up to Boston for the Head of the Charles Regatta Cindy.
http://www.hocr.org/home/default.asp

NancyMc

« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2009, 08:12:19 am »
they put on some sort of huge annual rowing event that's supposed to be well known

Ha!  I hesitated but will say, I learned on the Charles River.  They put on the Head of the Charles, another sort of huge annual rowing event . . . actually the largest in the world.  You really should come in October, but dress very warmly.  Your club probably sends some entries, and maybe you could volunteer to assist with operations in exchange for hotel room and transportation.

Stoneaxe,
That would be entertaining to watch two vestibularly-handicapped individuals trying to instruct each other in their balance-challenging hobbies.  Let's do it on a warm day.
Nancy

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2009, 12:11:01 am »
Take a look at the last couple of posts on my blog of the animotos i did of some amazing downwind action pics off Maui. The music really sets the mood and the action speaks for itself. You'll have a better understanding why I think this is so much fun and going to grow huge.
http://newenglandsup.wordpress.com/

I'm still amazed by what this has done for me. The benefits have been astounding. The balance issues are a major part of it but there is so much more to what this has brought my life. Despite all the trials that this AN has brought into my life I don't think I would want to trade back to normalcy if it meant never having found standup paddlesurfing. I just entered an online contest. They asked what is the most intersting thing you've seen while standup paddlesurfing? This got me to thinking what has happened in just the last 1.5 years.

This is by no means all the things I've seen that were awe inspiring. I just didn't want to write for an hour to list them. Here's my response:

"I’ve had humpback whales surface close enough to me that I could smell their breath. Been surrounded by 100’s of seals in wave churned waters off  Cape Cod. Watched a bluefish chase a mackerel right into the wave I was on….I could have reached out and touched it as it swam next to me. Almost collided with green turtles off Maui on my 1st downwind runs. Watched spotted rays fly.

Witnessed amazing displays of earthly beauty. Waiting for the next set at Kanaha while the sun set on the other side of the west Maui mountains, throwing rays of sunlight streaming up setting the clouds on fire and sparking a double rainbow over the Io Valley….magic….the air itself glowed. Que the breaching whales just beyond the break and perfect glassy sets rolling through…what an amazing day!

I’ve seen fast friendships made from sharing a passion and paddling for a cause in the Cape Cod Bay Challenge. I’ve watched the old grow young again. I’ve seen the hard work and the challenge beat back disability.

All this and the most interesting thing I’ve seen is the big smile on my daughter’s face when she first experienced standup. Despite the choppy windy 1st day all she wanted to know was when we could go again. Wait until she gets her 1st wave...then the hook is set for good. Once the weather warms she gets her 1st board."

I've been so fortunate.

Bob
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 12:26:51 am by stoneaxe »

NancyMc

« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2009, 04:44:10 am »
Goosebumps and the little hairs are standing up.
It reminds me of the time I went whale watching out to Stellwagen Banks.  A humpback rose next to the bow, and I could look into its eye.
You're and inspiration, Stoneaxe.
I remember when I consulted with Dr Loeffler at MGH seven years ago.  It was a humbling experience to see all those waiting for radiation treatments.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2009, 07:32:21 pm »
Nancy...i'm going to get you on a board one of these days and you'll understand my passion. Combine something so awe inspiring with extraordinary therapeutic benefit. It's done more than make my life normal again....its made it better.

Very happy to hear that your surgery went well. Can't wait to meet. Hope your up to coming out for the brunch.