Author Topic: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy  (Read 102740 times)

Keri

Re: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2009, 12:10:21 pm »
OK, JB, happy packing. I hope you find a good paddle group up there!

Nancy, I figured nothing was up with your MRI (the old no news is good news thing). I had seen it on the calendar so I just had to ask. Glad you're having a good summer!

Bob, happy training! As I was running yesterday in the heat, I thought 'I should take up this paddling thing.' NOT because it's easy, I'm sure it's hard... but I thought it would be cooler than running on a summer afternoon. Of course, I usually hate going in water that is cooler than anything in FL, so I guess I wouldn't last long. It just seemed refreshing at the time! Also, I had another training question... since you have to work up to a 30 mile paddle, do you build up your 'mileage' and then taper off a couple of weeks before the big event? That's what you do in marathon training. I didn't know if it was the same kind of principle.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #181 on: July 22, 2009, 08:52:02 am »
Hi Keri,

Yes we're following a typical marathon training process. Building up to a 20-25 mile paddle the week before. The last week will be focused on some easy cruises to keep the muscles loose and nutrition and hydration. I'm headed out for a solo 12 mile shoreline paddle today.

As for getting into it and water temp. I rarely am in the water these days unless I'm surfing and even that is intermittent. For flatwater workouts I only go in when I'm getting too hot. A refreshing plunge to cool down feels great especially on a hot day.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #182 on: July 24, 2009, 08:33:28 am »
JB...I meant to comment earlier about your links to the inflatables. I don't know too much about either but from what I've heard on the forums the custard point boards (longboard house) are well made. http://www.custardpoint.co.uk/. The guy who owns the shop is Tim Mellors. He has a nice range in sizes available.

BTW...I've told the folks at http://www.standuppaddlesurf.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php that you are headed home and might be looking for someone to partner with for paddling. Always safer when you have a partner. Hope I wasn't too forward in explaining our reason for taking up SUP.

Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2009, 11:49:56 am »
JB...I just got a PM from the folks in the UK. If you are based in the southwest you might want to check out this:
http://www.reactivewatersports.co.uk/content.php?pid=49

They have a group paddle every Wednesday. Looks like they are having a SUP night and a BBQ this Saturday too....wish it was here... ;D

They have a blog about the group paddles too.
http://www.reactivewatersports.co.uk/content.php?pid=58

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #184 on: July 24, 2009, 06:11:30 pm »
PT told me I'm done tonight. She's very surprised at how quickly I've recovered. She may take up paddlesurfing herself... ;D

Left PT and went surfing for 3.5 hours in sloppy choppy high wind conditions...what a blast and a great workout...I'm beat. Only issue was covering my eye...surfing with one eye is tough... >:(

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2009, 07:20:11 pm »
Bravo, Bob.  Watched JB's vid today and brought tears, laughter, and general sense of well being.  Life is good.  Weather not so good.  Booked flights to Scotland/Ireland for October so looking forward to that.
Keep up the great progress!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Keri

« Reply #186 on: July 25, 2009, 12:07:15 pm »
I guess paddleboarding should become the official recovery sport of the ANA!
Bob, no more problems with the leak from your ear?
Three weeks until your big event, right?

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #187 on: August 04, 2009, 08:42:29 pm »
Just came back to this thread...I think you jinxed me Keri.... ;)

joebloggs

« Reply #188 on: August 04, 2009, 11:52:48 pm »
Don't jinx me too Keri!  Ha ha!  Thanks for those links Bob - I went out paddling on Monday night with a guy in Cambridge and got to try out a Red Air 11' inflatable.  I was a bit worried as he said it sits a lot higher out of the water than a standard board and they have more of a rocking motion but it was fine, not that much different on the flat water and definitely softer under the feet!  He's at www.fenpaddle.co.uk and was a really good guy - think I'll end up buying a board off him.  Hope your head's feeling alright after the second look see, am thinking of you.

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #189 on: September 03, 2009, 08:08:26 am »
I'm very happy to say I don't have balance problems any more. I'll still be doing standup of course...big part of my life now.

That inflatable should be perfect JB. Easy to store, you can take it with you when traveling. I need to get one for that reason alone.

Vivian B.

« Reply #190 on: September 03, 2009, 10:47:03 am »
Hi There,

I am so glad you are doing o.k. I was thinking about you and your paddleboating and was wondering how you were managing. Keep up the recovery.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

lori67

« Reply #191 on: September 15, 2009, 11:53:40 am »
Stoneaxe,

I thought of you today - I actually saw someone standup paddleboarding!  I've never seen anyone doing that here before - maybe they're usually out there doing their thing in the mornings and I'm not usually at the beach that early.  But today after I dropped the kids off at school, I went right to the beach.  It was amazing to watch - once the poor guy got knocked over by a pretty big wave, and before you knew it, he was back up and on his way.  I'm not sure I could balance that well on dry land!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2009, 12:45:40 pm »
I thought of you this morning too but sadly, I was not experiencing the beach - I was at the gym burning 773 calories - & GMA had a story on about paddle "surfing" - is that the same??

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jackie

« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2009, 11:38:47 pm »
Hi Stoneaxe,

I just got back from Santa Cruz California and was amazed to see some Standup Paddleboarders! Wow, how skilled they looked!!! I had seen a couple doing the same thing at li
Lincoln City Oregon, but didn't know what they were doing! I had an AHA moment at Santa Cruz. Looks like fun, but a bit scary to me! Be careful and enjoy!!!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #194 on: September 17, 2009, 10:19:21 pm »
Nice of you ladies to be thinking of me.

Getting knocked over by big waves is par for the course. I'm surprised he wasn't trying to catch it.

Yup...same thing as GMA...for those that missed it.
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=5057.msg44373#msg44373

My brother just moved from portland to Hood River, OR so he could be closer to the water. He does a lot of downwinders in the Gorge. Lots of skilled surfers in Santa Cruz and standup has become very popular all along the Cal. coast.

I'm stiff and sore tonight after 3 hours of surfing in some sloppy choppy surf...great fun though and an unbelievable workout. This summers forced hiatus has me a bit out of shape. Won't take long to get back to where I was though....lots of paddling and surfing in the schedule. I'm determined to get into great shape for next spring...there are a number of races that I plan on attending. Looking to get down to a slim trim 230 lbs...(should be easy actually).