Author Topic: New Year's Eve update  (Read 1280 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
New Year's Eve update
« on: December 31, 2008, 06:45:22 pm »
Hi all,
I thought it was time for an update so here it is.  Also, since my face feels particularly better tonight I figured it was as good a time as any.  At almost 6 months post-op I am back to life as usual.  I have an assortment of facial issues and will have to wait to see if the trigeminal nerve heals enough to give me relief.  I have numbness (though more sensation is returning!) and nerve pain in my face, gums and teeth.  Sometimes bad, but others, like tonight, not so bad.  I'm hoping the good moments start to outweigh the bad and that the bad ones slowly disappear.  I am an optimist, so hoping for the best.  The facial weakness is also better; I can keep my eyebrows raised and even, though I'm getting tired of looking perpetually surprised.  :D  I can almost whistle clearly and the muscle pulling is better too.  I still have problems eating properly so going out to dinner or just eating in public causes me to work very hard as does speaking.  I have business trips planned for Italy and Los Angeles so I'm not really letting anything get in my way.  All in all, I'm very grateful to be here and grateful for all of you.  Off to a party where I shall try not to spill my wine. 

Wishing you all a happy and a HEALTHY new year!
Marci
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 12:05:11 am by MAlegant »
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

sgerrard

Re: New Year's Eve update
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 06:51:41 pm »
Marci, I'm glad you did an update, I wasn't sure from some of your posts how you were doing. It does seem to drag on a bit, I guess, but it sounds like it is gradually improving and you are not letting it hold you back.

That is a new picture you have now, too, isn't it? Still a very nice smile, even with the raised eyebrows. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

texsooner

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 08:41:32 pm »
Marci, also glad to hear your update. You obviously have a great attitude...I like to hear that you are not letting a few issues get in the way of living life to the fullest. Are you still running? I know it's probably a little cold up there to do that much nowadays. I'm also toasting with a little wine tonight and hope to keep it from dribbling out.  ;D

Happy new year.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

MAlegant

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 12:04:31 am »
Hi Steve,
It's a more recent picture (a year older!), but thanks.

Patrick,
I am running again, yes, and probably more mileage than before.  Exercise really cuts down on the pain!  Also, we got a treadmill so that I can run even though it's 23 degrees outside.

Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

satman

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 10:17:10 am »
sounds like your moving right along, good to hear .
the new pic looks great.
happy new year.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 02:14:44 pm »
Hi, Marci:

Thanks for the almost-six-month update.  It's always encouraging to learn of post-op folks who encountered problems, initially, that have dealt with them, are improving and moving on with their life, as you are.  Good attitude!  :)  Although eating, drinking and speaking normally are obvious important functions to regain, I think whistling is good, too.  ;)  I also like your updated photo.  I don't think you look surprised, just very interested:) 

I'm sure 2009 will be a Very Good Year for you (With apologies to the late, great Frank Sinatra).

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 08:33:51 pm »
Hi Donnalynn,
Thanks for writing.  Whistling is my gauge for facial weakness.  It is pretty funny though.  Now, in addition to raising my eyebrows I try to whistle every day.  Boy, how things have changed around here!
M