Author Topic: Clean MRI!  (Read 4362 times)

jerseygirl

Clean MRI!
« on: January 03, 2009, 08:24:05 pm »
Hi, everybody,

I just want to share the good (no, great!) news. My MRI just came out clean. The radiologist report says "No change from the previous one and no evidence of residual/recurrent tumor". This is incredibly encouraging. This is the second time in my life my MRI does not show anything; before, it always showed something which was always taken as a "scar tissue" until it actually started growing and became a tumor. This MRI was at a year and a half after the second surgery to remove the residual AN. I now can say that  the surgery was very successful: no tumor, smile kept and no pain.Thanks to this wonderful forum for all the support and information you provide. I wouldn't have made the decision to go to SBI otherwise and who knows what would have happened.

I got the report in the mail and opened the letter with shaking hands as prayed for good results and realized that I have absolutely no energy whatsoever to deal with another growing AN. Whew, what a relief! My next MRI will be in two years.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
Re: Clean MRI!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 08:49:19 pm »
Wow, it is nice to read good news like that. Happy New Year and congrats!

:)

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 08:51:10 pm »
Eve -

fantastic news!  I'm so thrilled for you  ;D

Congratulations!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 09:01:03 pm »
Hi Eve!

What a fantastic way to start the New Year!  Congtatulations on getting such wonderful news!!!

Hugs,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 09:09:16 pm »
YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
THAT IS AWESOME, GREAT, FANTASTIC NEWS!
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 11:12:27 pm »
Eve,
That's great news!  I'm happy for you and wish you a wonderful new year.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 11:35:01 pm »
Eve:

I'm typing this message with a big smile on my face as I offer my congratulations and sincere wishes for unending 'clear' MRI reports.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 12:59:40 pm »
Wonderful news! Congratulations, Eve. Have a great year.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

jerseygirl

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 01:44:49 pm »
Thanks to everybody who responded! I am also grateful to those who posted their stories, doctors and outcomes. It was immensely helpful to me as I was able to search for the "right" doctor who could take care of my difficult situation. At the end, I am a happy camper.

I had my first AN surgery in 1988 and the forum did not exist. I found out somehow about ANA after my surgery (what did we do in those days without Internet?) and spoke on the phone with its founder. However, it was nothing comparing to what we have now.  What a difference! Thanks again to those who contributes to this forum and keeps it alive.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 02:50:17 pm »
What is sbi? Did they leave some tumour behind the first surgery? Did you lose your hearing or have any facial issues? Why did you choose to do the surgery again instead of radiation?
Thanks Eve, we newbies can learn from you!
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Patti

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 03:03:00 pm »
that is just awesome!!!!!!!!!!!  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

jerseygirl

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 05:15:19 pm »
Michelle,

SBI stands for Skull Base Institute. It is located in California and they do minimally invasive surgery where an endoscope is inserted into a small burr hole to remove a tumor. Instead of an electronic microscope, the surgeon peers into a computer screen where the image of what he is doing is highly magnified. The surgery takes much less time than conventional one, so less chance to have complications and less anesthesia are an added bonus. The scar is only 8-9 stitches.

I did lose my hearing in my first surgery but my facial nerve was saved. I had post-steroid facial weakness which completely cleared up after 2 years. The worst part post-op was pain which lasted for 10 years. Anybody who has those headaches knows what I am talking about and how interrupting they can be to one's life. I am not sure what I was afraid more of the second time around - facial paralysis or pain. Potential for no pain was what attracted me to the endoscopic method because if the surgeon goes through the existing metal plate with which my original hole in the head is covered up , then the body does not feel any pain because it is the bone, muscle and nerves hurt, not metal. I was right on that one, thank God! There was no pain whatsoever, I did not take morphine after surgery and not even Tylenol.

The reason I refused radiation  is because radiation was not really easier than surgery, just different. No matter what I did, I was a complicated case. I decided to go with surgery this time and save radiation for later if the tumor recurs again many years later.

The tumor regrew because it was not all taken out originally but I was told after the surgery that it was. There was a piece left because, as my original neurosurgeon finally said, "it was hard to reach and extremely friable". No tumor is hard to reach with an endoscope and all neurosurgeons nowadays have access to gels and substances that control bleeding. The remaining piece was treated as a scar tissue when it finally started growing. It was monitored for 9 years and then taken out. You can read my story at http://thebraingang.wordpress.com/2008/10/01/eve-kotovich/     Scott, a member of this group, created this website to hold the stories from other members in the hopes of helping others.

Good luck to you, Michelle. I hope all your issues resolve. In my case they finally do but they sure take their time.

Eve

Jwh

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 05:29:24 pm »
that is wonderful news!  I'm soooo happy for you!!  Congrats...
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

jerseygirl

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 05:43:53 pm »
Thanks, Jen. I was just in the process to wish you the best of luck with your upcoming surgery when I saw this post. Hope you sail through that one! I know waiting before surgery is tough, probably the toughest part of the entire experience. I certainly have been there and can relate. I will be eagerly waiting for the news. I am pretty sure they will be great! Can anyone in your family update us as soon as possible?

Eve

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 06:08:53 pm »
Thanks Eve,

I do appreciate your response. I am so happy to hear your good news, it is so fabulous!!!

After surgery I was faced with facial paralysis, hearing loss in my AN ear, and some tumour left behind (attached to facial nerve). My 6 month MRI showed no regrowth which is great, but I cannot help thinking I may have to deal with this again in the future. When my husband told me they left some tumour I cried thinking I can't do this every 10 years. And here you did and you are fine. The thought of sugery again makes me want to cry, just get my face moving again and lose it again. Chances are higher that it would reoccur again.

It was interesting to hear your story and how you dealt with it... not sure what I would do next time IF I need to.
I am getting stronger everyday and back to work full time tomorrow (kindergarten teacher). I am happy to report that my facial issues are improving, if only the eye would blink I would be golden!

Anyway life is good and I need to focus on the positive, my great family and friends and know the greater universe is taking care of me.

Hugs Michelle  ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 08:27:05 pm by mimoore »