Author Topic: The countdown has begun....  (Read 1211 times)

Jwh

The countdown has begun....
« on: January 04, 2009, 05:07:24 pm »
Hi all,
Three weeks from tomorrow, I will have my surgery  :(  This is the tough part - waiting.  Next week, I have my pre-op.  It will be a long day for me as I have an MRI scheduled, we will meet with my two doctors, do the pre-op and get clearance all in the same day.  Yikes!!  It's getting close now.
Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

wendysig

Re: The countdown has begun....
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 05:37:28 pm »
Hi Jen,

I know the waiting is nerve wracking once you get this close to surgery.  Try to keep busy with things that are not surgery related -- you can drive yourself crazy.  I know this is your second time around and I hope they get it all and it will be your last time.  Hang in there and don't forget to take some deep breaths when you're feeling expecially nervous  and try then try to relax. 

Sending you a huge ((((((((((((((((((((((HUG)))))))))))))))))

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 09:49:40 am »
Hi Jen-

None of this is easy - but waiting is definitely one of the harder parts.  I think it is harder this time of year, too, since the weather isn't necessarily conducive to getting out and walking and doing other things to take your mind off the upcoming "Day."

Not sure if you saw my post under AN Community - a group of us from the NY/NJ area are getting together for an informal lunch this Saturday - would love to have you join us if you're free!  We're meeting at Brendan's in NYC, 35th btwn 5th and 6th at noon.  I think there will be about 10-12 of us, and it promises to be lots of laughs and silliness.  We're celebrating Wendy and Nancy's new BAHA posts, Joe's two-year anniversary, Ed's GK, Eve's clean 18-month MRI (second surgery for her, too) and whatever else we can come up with. 

I saw Dr. Roland the Monday before Christmas for another follow up on my face - he is the best.  I emailed him yesterday with a question about some weird facial ticks and he got back to me within 15 minutes, even though he was not in his office. 

Keep breathing, Jen - and try to do some things to take your mind off the upcoming surgery.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

satman

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 12:52:00 pm »
i imagine knowing and waiting is rough,hang in there it will all be over soon.
my thoughts and prayers are with you.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 01:49:05 pm »
Jen:

Yeah, the waiting can be tough.  I didn't have to wait long, only about 20 days, and it seemed like a lot of that time was spent having various pre-op tests.  It was all a bit surreal because the reality of having brain surgery hadn't quite taken hold, yet.  By the day before the surgery, it finally had.  I was both resigned and optimistic.  Fortunately, my optimism turned out to be rewarded with a successful surgery, no real complications, a brief hospital stay (4½ days) and a rapid recovery, followed by  26 uneventful FSR treatments three months later to kill the remaining tumor's DNA.  They were also successful - my last MRI showed definite necrosis.  That was over 2½ years ago (June, 2006) and seems like a hazy memory, now.  Time really does heal both body and spirit. 

Please try not to become overly anxious during this time of waiting.  Instead, anticipate a smooth operation, full recovery and perpetual 'clean' MRI scans.  :)  Much better. 

Jim
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 04:16:04 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.