Author Topic: Facial / Neck Massage?  (Read 3343 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Facial / Neck Massage?
« on: January 08, 2009, 05:03:33 pm »
Everyone,

I've been the idea of getting a face / neck massage from a massage therapist.  I've noticed that areas on my neck and face are "tight" and likely would benefit from being relaxed via a massage.  Are there any downsides to doing this that I'm not aware of?  I don't want to make matters worse, but I can't imagine tight muscles in the face / neck area are helping any, not to mention they are annoying and somewhat bothersome.

Thoughts anyone?

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

FAITH40

Re: Facial / Neck Massage?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 07:20:36 pm »
HEY BRIAN,

I HAVE HAD MASSAGES SINCE MY SURGERY AND IT HAS NOT HURT ME ANY. I MASSAGE MY FACE AND NECK MYSELF AT LEAST THREE TIMES A DAY FOR THE TIGHTNESS, SO I AM DOING ALOT MORE THAN A MASSAGE THERAPIST WOULD DO. I HAVE CONTINUED PROGRESS, SO I MUST BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT!  ;)

ENJOY YOUR MASSAGE, YOU DESERVE IT! ;)

TAMMI
2.8 CM AN NASHVILLE,TN. DR. REID THOMPSON AND DR. DAVID HAYNES REMOVED DEC. 4TH- 07 TRANSLAB - 16 1/2 HOUR SURGERY - STRETCHED FACIAL NERVE- FACIAL PARALYSIS (HEALING) 100% HEARING LOSS (AN SIDE)
4 DAY HOSPITAL STAY ! DOING GREAT!

lori67

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 07:30:03 pm »
Brian,

Any licensed massage therapist should know any contraindications to massage, so once you tell him or her your medical history, it should be pretty clear if it's a good idea or not.  They may have to look up the info or check with someone else on it, but I'm sure they won't risk making your problems any worse.  Just make sure they know your medical history.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 03:37:07 pm »
Hey Brian-

I just posted on another thread to you, but wanted to catch you here, too.  Check out the bells palsy website for some detailed instruction on facial massage  http://www.bellspalsy.ws/exercise.htm.  I've been doing it every night for several weeks to try to loosen up the tight muscles on my cheek and forehead (and to get rid of that annoying dimple-thingie on my chin.)

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 03:51:41 pm »
Debbi,
I had that big dimple forming in my chin and it wasn't the looks of it that bothered me but it was uncomfortable and pulled down my mouth. I had botox in it one time and it never came back. I guess while the botox relaxed it.....the other muscles got stronger and the chin didn't feel needed anymore. Might try that if nothing else works. I also would apply deep pressure to the dimple as instructed by my therapist and this helped for the moment but it always came back. Might ask your therapist when would be a good time to try botox before those synkinetic muscles get too strong and harder to overcome.
Angie

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 10:48:03 am »
Hey Brian

That's what my physical therapist has been focusing on.  She massages my neck -- apparently it is tied to vestibular issues and helps with balance.  And as part of my synkinesis therapy, she massages my face to help get the muscles to relax.  She is also big on using wet heat on my face to ease the tension.  At home I use an herbal neck wrap that I heat up by throwing in the microwave for a few minutes.  I think as long as anything isn't exagerated in movement, you're fine.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 11:14:23 am »
Hey Brian,
I've been getting massage therapy weekly for about 6 weeks now.  He works my entire body as well as face/neck.  It has made a big difference in how I feel; physically as well as emotionally.  Asked one of my neurosurgeons about massaging the scar specifically and he said to go for it.  So there you have it!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 01:48:40 pm »
Thanks for the information all!  Whever there is time, then I may just sign up for one.  I'm just toying with the idea for now.

Thanks,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager