Author Topic: 8-Monthaversiary  (Read 4079 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
8-Monthaversiary
« on: January 08, 2009, 05:12:36 pm »
Today marks exactly 8 months since my retrosigmoid surgery.  In many ways I feel blessed that I've been able to come as far as I have in such an amount of time.  In other ways I feel saddened that I've had to endure SO much in the last 8-9 months.  Through it all, my friends here have answered my questions, calmed my fears, laughed with me, cried with me, and generally put up with me while I ranted about one thing or another.

Especially in light of the fact that I deal with much lighter issues than many of you on this forum (at least in my estimation), I truly feel blessed for my progress and most of all that each of you have been so supportive of me during this journey.

Things are not back to "normal" (pre-surgery), but they're close enough that I won't complain (too much).  Anyone out there considering their treatment options will hopefully gain some assurance that with some time, things don't always stay bad.  They may not be pretty for awhile, and nobody would ever say that what we've done is "easy", but with patience, perserverance and most of all the unconditional support of those both in your "real" life and on this forum, one can make a great go at recovery.

Thank each of you for your help, guidance, and support through this last 8-9 months.. It's truly been invaluable to me.

Kindest regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

lori67

Re: 8-Monthaversiary
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 07:25:18 pm »
Wow - 8 months already, Brian!  It seems like just yesterday we were waiting for the hospital updates from Jenny.

You've come a long way in that 8 months and I'm sure things will just continue to get more "normal".

Happy 8 month anniversary - I hope you have something fun planned to celebrate!  Why wait til your year anniversary - celebrate any chance you get!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 08:22:12 pm »
Congratulations, Pooter.

Like Lori said, it's hard to believe it's been that long since your surgery. 

You've reached a lot of milestones in the past 8 months and we're proud of you.

So, are you going to get to the symposium in August so we can meet you and Jenny?

I certain hope so because Lori has told me she's planning to buy you a celebratory drink  ;)

Bottoms up,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 08:51:22 pm »
Brian~
WOW!  Time flies when we are having fun...& apparently even when we aren't!  You have made great progress and had a good attitude - thank you for all that you give back to others on this site!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 05:57:41 am »
Congratulations!  You are doing so great!!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 07:05:53 am »
To my Pooter.... I am so proud of you and tickled things are going well..... I know it's been a tough path for you and I'm sending huggles for continued wellness... onward and upward as I like to say! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 08:07:59 am »
Thanks everyone!  I sincerely appreciate it!  In many ways it feels like time has flown, but in others it seems that it has crawled.  It does seem kinda like yesterday that I was this scared guy looking for information right after diagnosis in March.  I had no idea that my world was going to be rocked like it was.

Jan, we're still a "maybe" on going to the symposium.  I joined the ANA a few weeks ago expecting that I would get the latest newsletter with all of the symposium info / registration in it and what I got was the issue before that.  Ugh.  We'll see, but I would like to go!  I agree that I've reached a lot of milestones in such a short amount of time.  I often feel like my complaints shouldn't be complaints at all.  I should be thankful for all the milestones and not lament over the other stuff.

Lori, I agree that celebrating anytime you can make up an excuse is good!  Alas, my night was spent just like every night.. Helping with homework, bathing the kids (or helping to do so), cleaning bottoms, dressing kids for bed, and everything else that is a norm for a parent of a 8 and 3 year old.  Perhaps I'll be able to celebrate more this weekend.

Phyl, Brenda, and Kaybo, thanks!  I count you three as many of my "heroes" (or should I say "heroines") in all of this.  You guys, among some others, never cease to amaze me with your perserverence, courageousness, and great attitudes with all you have had to endure in life.  In short, you guys rock!

Thanks everyone again..

Regards,
Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 10:26:11 am »
Aw Pooter! Where would we be wivout our breeze conjurer!  it seemes like these past 8 months have just "blown" by!
All the best wishes for your continued recovery.  Things get better even between years 1 and 2--why, I'm back wearing heels again after year 5 and you will be soon, too! This forum has certainly been the better for having had you on it! We luuuuuuurrrrves ya ye scurvy bloke!

Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 11:41:48 am »
Wait a minute, I have to wear heels?  ;)

Brian

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 8-Month anniversary
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 04:10:49 pm »
Brian:

Congratulations on all you've endured and conquered these past eight months.  Although your complications may not have been severe, they were still obstacles you had to surmount.  That you've done so with determination while dealing with an (unscheduled) job change and the responsibilities of a husband and father is a testament to your resilience and fortitude.  You're an example to those who may avoid the more drastic post-op complications but still have to deal with impediments on the path to normalcy that don't garner as much attention or sympathy but are something many post-op AN patients must face every day.  I sincerely hope that even better days still lie ahead.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 04:16:21 pm »
Hey Brian!

I always forget how close our surgery dates were!  I "celebrated" my 8 months on New Year's Eve - it's  easy for me to remember my date since it was the last day of April.  I always like hearing how you are doing - and you know I am always out here in Jersey cheering you on!

I hope you and Jen can make it to the symposium - Willie and I will buy you guys a drink, for sure!  We already booked a room, and I paid the registration fee - all I have to do is book the flights.  I think we'll stay an extra couple of days and play - Ii just love Chicago, it ranks just behind NYC in terms of my favorite USA cities. 

Celebrate all the milestones, and try not to get down when things don't progress on an even trajectory all the time. 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 04:51:33 pm »
Yup, we were like a week apart!  You're like my long, lost sister that I never..wait, I have one.  Anyway, you're a kindred spirt of sorts.  Please know you have a friend in Texas cheering you on through it all too!

I'll talk to Jenni again about the symposium.  I'd really like to go!  I've never been to Chicago before, so it would be a welcome venture!  Plus, I get a free ride on the ANA Leer, or so I'm told.  ;)

I have little victories all of the time that I celebrate.  I really try not to get discouraged when things are SO SLOW.. I really do try.

It's been a heckuva ride for us, eh?

Jim, thanks so much for the note.  The primary reason I've stuck around here after surgery is so that others who are considering their options get one (of many) perspectives of the journey of a surgery AN patient that is positive..  All in all it's been bumpy but getting better all the time.  I appreciate your thoughts now and everytime I read your posts to me and others.  I've always liked the inviting way that you've encouraged everyone and given them advice when warranted even if I do need my dictionary handy sometimes. ;)  Better days ahead; like wearing heels?  Heh.

Okay, group hug!  Then, we can all put on our Steve-knitted caps, climb into the ANA Leer, and fly to get our custom-made bonnet from Wendy and Lori and then be whisked away to some tropical unknown destination!  Okay, so I got a bit out of control.

Regards,
Brian

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 08:03:29 pm »
I will whine slightly that your post reminds me how quickly time is flying by these days; it will soon be a year, and it seems like a couple of months.  :-\

Okay, back to cheerful. It would be great to see you in Chicago, I hope you can make it. There is at least the possibility of a knit hat.  ;D

Keep up the good work, and may every month get better.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 06:23:57 am »
Congrats Brian--you have come a long way as they say, and with good humor and courage.  Hope to meet you at the symposium--I'm still intending on going!
Best,
Marci
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 06:26:11 am by MAlegant »
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 02:31:51 pm »
Brian -

call or email the ANA.  They'll be happy to send you a copy of the most recent newsletter.  Afterall, you are a paying member  :)

Although there is info on this website about the symposium, you don't want to miss Francesco's article in the newsletter.  Very well written.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways