Author Topic: Having another MRI on Monday  (Read 3404 times)

sher

Having another MRI on Monday
« on: January 08, 2009, 11:39:07 pm »
My CK Doc wants me to have an MRI on Monday to check for edema and swelling. I am having enhanced tinnitus, headaches and dizziness... so we will see what it has to show.
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Having another MRI on Monday
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 06:57:56 am »
Sher,

You have done a great deal of research before your treatment and as you know, you are in that timeframe that things could (or not) crop up. Please stay strong and know we are all here to help you through this.... please keep us posted about the MRI results and hang tough..... this can be (not always, but can be) the toughest timeframe of the wait post-radiation but we are all here to help you get through it..... you can count on it.

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

JohnnyDiaz

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 10:11:23 am »
MRI's are not fun for me so I can totally relate. However, as curious as I am, I know the goal is to let me know what is going on inside that head of mine. Remember to get a good night sleep and wear comfortable clothes. My MRI place lets me hear music and I wear that sleeping mask before I go in that way I imagine I am hanging out at the beach. Take Care and keep us updated.
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!

steve33

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 10:32:18 am »
MRI's are not fun for me so I can totally relate. However, as curious as I am, I know the goal is to let me know what is going on inside that head of mine. Remember to get a good night sleep and wear comfortable clothes. My MRI place lets me hear music and I wear that sleeping mask before I go in that way I imagine I am hanging out at the beach. Take Care and keep us updated.

I recall mine having those 1970s stair air headphones that they used to have on airplanes, because obviously you cannot bring metal inside of the MRi, which I discovered the hard way.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 12:39:25 pm »
Sher:

Although an MRI session is no fun, even for those of us not suffering with claustrophobia, it is a very necessary and useful 'tool' for the doctor and his or her patient.  In this case, you.  Your doctor probably suspects swelling and wants to get a better idea of exactly what is happening inside your skull, in the affected area.  I trust the MRI results will be both positive - showing a dying AN - as well as useful for your doctor to find a way (medication, most likely) to help you through this period.  Many thoughts and prayers - mine included - will be with you on Monday.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sher

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 02:24:17 pm »
Thank you so much everyone for your encouraging words. I have the MRI on Monday and meet with my doc on Tues PM. I will keep you posted. My husband wants me to leave Tues night and fly for a one day trip with him.. not sure if I should chance the change in air pressure. Pretty crazy to think about refusing a trip to vegas.
Sher

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 03:29:21 pm »
You should be fine to fly even if the MRI turns up an AN.  Enjoy the trip and the time with your husband.  Just my $0.02 worth.

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 03:31:33 pm »
sher, go fer it! I'll give you $10 if you hit the blackjack table for me! :) Oh, you need a break from it all.. go and enjoy! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 03:35:45 pm »
Thank you so much everyone for your encouraging words. I have the MRI on Monday and meet with my doc on Tues PM. I will keep you posted. My husband wants me to leave Tues night and fly for a one day trip with him.. not sure if I should chance the change in air pressure. Pretty crazy to think about refusing a trip to vegas.
Sher

Flying wont bother a AN !! ... go have a ball  8) !! remember, whatever happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, unless you want to share your millions in winnings with us !  :o ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 03:44:00 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

sher

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 06:15:28 pm »
Got my results on my MRI. The UGLY AN has gone from 9.3 to 10.1 and is actively mad! no fluid or edema, which they were concerned about with my headaches. Everything is on track, of which I am thankful for. I fell a couple of times last year and my CK doc thinks that the herniation in my neck must be giving me the majority of headaches and pain I am feeling so off to the neurologist next week. I will have another MRI the end of June... I am hoping for necrosis at that point.
Sher

sgerrard

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 10:15:13 pm »
Hi Sher,

Sounds like good news on the AN, if not also on the herniation in your neck. I'm not exactly sure what going from 9.3 to 10.1 means, or what being actively mad means either, but I'm pretty sure it is good, especially no edema. Hopefully your neurologist will have something useful to say about the neck.

Are you going to Las Vegas?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

sher

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 11:18:04 pm »
Hi Steve,
The report read on the MRI that the mass in the cerebellopontine angle is approx 10.9 x 7.1 x 10mm and it was in sept 9.3 x 7.1 x 10mm meaning that the AN is mad and is swelling thus will die......LOL. The doc still didn't want to put me on steroids. I am hoping that I don't get much dizzier. I am glad that the CK is working at this 3 month interval. Just have to be patient. Thanks for everyone being such a support!!!! My doc was so suprised at how informed I am and knowledgeable of symptoms, senarios etc. and it is all because of this forum!!!! ;D
Sher

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 11:24:40 pm »
Ah, okay, now it makes sense.  :D

The doctors never seem to want to put you on steroids, it is just another can of worms they are reluctant to open. I'm sure they will intervene if it becomes really necessary. I hope you are able to manage in the mean time. Stay positive!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

fbarbera

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 12:44:05 am »
Sher, When I began experiencing intense symptoms at around the same time as you, my doctor said it could be an indication that my tumor was responding well to the treatment.  In other words, the intense symptoms are actually an encouraging sign that the AN is on its way to necrosis.  My 6 month MRI showed swelling but by one year the swelling was gone.  It's a bumpy road but it passes.  It just takes time.  Best wishes, Francesco

sher

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 01:26:03 am »
Thank you Steve and Francesco! I am hoping that my side effects don't get much worse. I was pretty surprised at how much swelling there is at 3 months, but I guess that is fairly common. It can stop swelling now though. I am not sure how much more it actually can, do you?
Sher