Author Topic: Anyone in England had problems buying travel insurance  (Read 4042 times)

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
Anyone in England had problems buying travel insurance
« on: January 12, 2009, 02:56:14 pm »

Hey all,

I'm going on holiday in april, to the USA actually, and I just wondered has anyone had any problems getting medical cover whilst abroard?? I've tried several companies and it seems that no-one will cover me unless I'm signed off, which is a problem because according to my doctors thats not likely to happen, being the fact that there is still some of the tumour left behind.

Has anyone found an innsurance company that will cover them and if so was it expensive???

Hope you can help, I know you usually do!! XxX
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

Esperanza

Re: Anyone in England had problems buying travel insurance
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 05:02:24 pm »
Hi Cheza,

We paid a premium to cover me for a trip within Europe with Sainsbury's (no Dr's note required) - it was quite expensive compared to pre-diagnosis price! but they didn't have a problem with covering me and my AN.   May be worth a phone call if you haven't tried them.

That you are planning a trip indicates you have had a good recovery so far I hope?  As a matter of interest where/who did your op if you don't mind me asking?

x
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 05:16:23 pm »
HI A FEW OF US IN THE UK USE INSURE AND GO THEY HAD GOOD PRICES FOR COVER
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

cheza

• facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 01:08:13 pm »

Hi thanks for those company's I would never of thought of sainsburys and I'll try insure and go too.
In answer to your question

where/who did your op if you don't mind me askiing

i had my op done at hope hospital salford and it was Proffesor Ramsden ENT and Mr Rutherrford Neurologist the two of them are, so I'm told, the best of the best, so I'm a very lucky lady to have been in their safe hands.
i'm doing very well I still have wobbles from time to time, my face is still paralised on the left side but it is getting better.

Thank you for asking, Where in the uk are you?

Take care Cheryl XxX  :-*

cheza

• facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 03:53:44 pm »

Hi all,

A short update on the whole travel insurance thing, I finally managed to get some travel insurance and I am insured for my AN condition which is great because I was really quite worried about something happening and not being covered, even though I have been in fairly good health since the op "better to be safe than sorry" my gran always used to say, anyway getting to my point..... I managed to get cover for my AN and for another condition I also got standard cover for my husband and two children at the very low cost of £68.00 with American Express I couldn't believe it I was really surprised because I had been quoted allsorts of ridiculous prices from £250.00 - £1000.00 and that was just for me. So if ya need travel insurance I suggest ya give Amex a try.

Thanks Cheryl

PS. see you guys soon I'm coming to America on the 3rd April, Vegas first Kissimmee on the 6th April, Stop and have a chat if ya see me lol, I might even buy you an ice cream.

TTFN Cheza XxX  :-*

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 04:29:10 pm »
Hi Cheza,

I'm actually surprised that the removal of a benign tumor (AN) would be considered a pre-existing medical condition.  Even if one were to get the dreaded regrowth, we'd be talking years, not days, and certainly not emergency treatment.

I live about an hour west of Kissimmee, but my parents will be visting from New England.  I assume you are visiting Mickey Mouse while you are here :).  The kids will have a blast!  We do go to Universal Studios pretty often, but most of our time is spent at Busch Gardens when we get the urge to ride a coaster :)

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 01:15:32 am »
Hi Cheryl,

Gee, I thought I replied to your recent update on insurance already. I know I meant to...

Nice to see you again, Blondie!  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cheza

• facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 01:51:26 pm »

Hey everyone,

Well I'm home from my travels and there was no need to use my travel insurance which is always a bonus,  just wish I could get my money back for not using it ha ha, oh well never mind, the holiday was awesome!!!!!  ;D and I have to say what lovely people, so courteous, friendly and extremely helpful, yes Ernie I went to see Mickey and all his friends.We also went to Universal studios, Islands of Adventure, Sea world (yey shamu), Kennedy Space centre, Busch Gardens and even managed a day at Cocoa Beach and a day at Orange county park for a picnic. We all had an absolutely wonderful time and I can't wait until I can afford to go back.

Ernie in response to your thought about problems getting insurance for a removed benign tumor, the problem occurred when I was asked the question "was the removal a 100% removal?"  The answer to that of course is NO it wasn't. The thing is the insurance company's are not doctors they have guidelines that they have to follow and if you answer No to a series of questions when the answer should be yes, then unfortunately your put into the high risk catagorey, like I said they are not doctors and the insurance advisers cannot evaluate on a personal basis. Amex were the only ones who did not ask about the removal.   

Thanks Cheza or should i say Blondie!!!  :-* XxX

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 01:57:32 pm »
hey Cheryl and welcome back to the UK! Sounds like you had a terrific trip! :)

Actually, 86GBP (I don't have the symbol on my keyboard) is very cheap, even for stateside travel insurance. I'm glad that AMEX was able to help you on it. I have to agree with Ernie (but don't tell him I said it) about an AN being a "pre-existing" condition.  It's my understanding you haven't had treatment on it yet, if my short-term memory issue is working for a change...... honestly, that should not come into play either.

Thrilled to got to visit our faire side of the pond.. and my next trip over to the UK with my bloke, will keep you updated as well! Met a few UK AN'ers when we were there over the holidays late last year... will keep you all updated as well.

Cheers!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"