Author Topic: Ending a self imposed silence  (Read 2523 times)

Richard in Palacios

Ending a self imposed silence
« on: January 13, 2009, 11:47:39 am »
Greetings and my thanks to all of you who make up the AN Community! 
While I have not "posted" here in some time, I have continued to read your posts and have found them to be wonderfully encouraging and always informative.  I am now 7months post treatment for my AN which roughly doubled in size from April 07 until April of 08.  I chose to work with the Baylor College of Medicine and Methodist Hospital there in Houston and want to report that those folks are the finest I've encountered.  Other than the "slight discomfort" of the head frame (actually that thing and the four screws hurt like nothing I've ever felt before), my entire experience was positive.  Dr. Vrabeck (neurosurgeon) and Dr. Teh (nuclear medicine guru) and the entire staff there in Houston treated me as well as I have ever been treated in any procedure I've ever experienced.  Now the waiting process for that 1 year follow up MRI unfolds.  While my initiial recovery was a bit slower than I expected and I had almost no endurance of any kind for the first several weeks, I have had no other other difficulties at all and started the school year right on schedule.  The issues of single sided deafness continue to unfold as my experience grows but so far, they are very manageable.

Once again, I appreciate all of your information and the encouragement that you have shared here on this site.  You have made my "journey" much easier.

Richard   
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 05:11:37 pm by Jim Scott »
Was AKA "RED in Palacios". That account now inactive. Originally diagnosed in 10/06 9mm X 3.6mm Waiting and watching.
As of 4/08 15mm X 6mm.  No longer waiting and watching.  Had SRS 6/10/08 at Methodist Hospital in Houston

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Ending a self impossed silence
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:00:10 pm »
Dr. Vrabec was my doctor, also (and MsMaggie's).  You were in good hands there.  I hope everything continues to go well with your recovery.  I should have my 1 year follow-up MRI in early May.  Welcome to "Postieland"!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 01:36:27 pm »
Hi Richard and welcome,

It sounds like you had a very postive GK experience -- good for you!  I took one look at that machine and decided for sure it was not for me.  I was pretty sure before I ever saw it, but seeing the helmet or whatever it's called)  was the final straw.  I decided I could deal with my head being drilled open much more easily -- I figured I'd be asleep for that part anyway.   I also decided I couldn't live with my AN any longer -- I just wanted it gone.  Happily I had a wonderful outcome with only minor affter effects, mostly minor balance problems that are still improving.  Glad you are okay too!

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 03:34:53 pm »
Richard -

good to see you back.  I have to ask, though, was it something that we said ??  :D

Seriously, it's always great when someone who has been gone awhile checks in - and your good news makes it even more wonderful to see you.

Hope things continue to go your way.

Don't be a stranger,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Ending a self imposed silence
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 05:14:53 pm »
Hi, Richard:

Congratulations on your successful treatment!  I'm very pleased to learn of your good recovery, too.  Thanks for posting.  Now, pull up a chair and stay awhile.  All is forgiven.  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 05:21:24 pm »
Thankful that everything is okay with you now.  I feel badly for you that the headframe was so painful.  In my opinion, that shouldn't have been that uncomfortable for you.  Did they not give you any numbing medication?  I know my "people" were very careful to make sure that I had little pain in the GK process.  I am sorry that you had a hard time with that. :(

Sue in Vancouver USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 05:29:29 am »
Richard,
So glad to hear from you and that you are doing well!  Don't be a stranger..........we are still here to answer questions or give opinions.  It is great to hear positive outcome.  Best wishes for continued success.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Richard in Palacios

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 08:16:46 am »
Regarding Sue's comment about the frame:

I was given numerous topical injections of lidocaine which helped somewhat but I think that the good doctor actually caught a nerve with the right rear screw.  I let him know right away and he tried to give me some relief but at that point not much helped.  From the discussions I heard, they mounted the frame in a somewhat unusual position because of the "targeted location" and so that may have contributed.  That may have been part of the reason that the frame was "very securely" attached as well.  The pressure from the screws themselves was intense.  To this day, I can still put my fingers in the depressions in my skull where the screws were placed.  I assume that is normal and even if it wasn't, I wanted them to have the best possible reference points to direct the beams that they could.  So, what I experienced at the time was worth whatever discomfort on my part to ensure the best possible results. 
Richard
Was AKA "RED in Palacios". That account now inactive. Originally diagnosed in 10/06 9mm X 3.6mm Waiting and watching.
As of 4/08 15mm X 6mm.  No longer waiting and watching.  Had SRS 6/10/08 at Methodist Hospital in Houston

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 11:06:10 pm »
I was put off by the idea of the frame they put your head in for GK, but in reality, the drs. put your head in a vise for surgery, too.  I have a scar on my forehead from the screw or whatever was used to clamp the vise.  Not much different, I guess!  I had Dr. Vrabec, also, as did Brian.  He knows his stuff.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 04:02:46 pm »
Hi Richard,

Great to hear from you! Been a while and glad to hear you are doing well.  Sending my wellness wishes your way and wishing you (and everyone here, of course!) a very happy, HEALTHY, new year! Please don't be such a stranger as you have lots to share with others here.

Glad to see you!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"