Author Topic: Kathy M Update part II  (Read 8965 times)

LADavid

Re: Kathy M Update part II
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2009, 12:50:41 am »
Kristen It seems like forever ago that you posted your concern about your mother.  You've seen her through the tough part.  There are going to be issues like the nausea, but they will all pass.

But I am still in awe that your pastor and your mom's doctor and you prayed together.  Down the road, if there ever comes the opportunity and the time to tell that story, please remember it and tell it with all your heart.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jill

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2009, 07:09:41 am »
Kristin,

Send your mom my best.  I think about her all the time and look forward to your updates.  Your posts have been a dress rehearsal for me and my family for Tuesday.  They have been a tremendous help. 

Tell your mom to keep up her positive spirit and things will improve.  She certainly has a lot of prayers and well wishes coming her way.

Jill

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2009, 07:48:52 am »
Kristin,

I'm glad to hear that things seem to be progressing nicely for your mom.  There will be bouts of nausea and balance, but as others have said they will pass soon enough.  I remember being stubborn and walking to the bathroom alone, IV and all.  I was determined that it wasn't going to sideline me very long and I knew if I went when someone was there that they'd cottle me.  It's good for your mom is up and moving as it will only help things progress.

Also, I figured that the IV was still in, even if not hooked to anything.  I'm still shocked that Jan had it all taken out by day 2 or 3.

Give your mom our best regards.  Remember, slow and steady wins the race.  This isn't a sprint; it's a marathon.. We all, in one way or another, learn patience through all of this..  Patients and supporters alike.  She sounds like she's in good hands and doing well.  Don't forget to take care of you and your family also.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

MKLady

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2009, 08:20:21 am »
What wonderful news that she can still hear.  It is also very good news for her facial nerve recovery that the tumor wasn't sticky.  I think it is the sticky ones that cause damage to the nerve from stretching it during removal.

The hardest part is over.  Get some rest. 

Susan 
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

Tamara

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2009, 09:43:01 am »
Best wishes to your mom!  I've been lurking and following her progress but thought I'd chime in here.  Percocet made me violently ill. I swore off ALL meds at that point, and they gave me injections of something in my thighs to counter the severe nausea and vomiting.  Maybe someone here knows what that was, or you could ask your mom's nurse if it's still and issue.

Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

cindyj

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2009, 12:47:44 pm »
Hey Kristin,

The nausea is no fun.  The pain meds may not be helping with the nausea...I had them stop the morphine once I was coherent enough to tell them.  I could tolerate pain better than the nausea.  I had them just give me Tylenol or Ibuprofen.  Sorry she's experiencing this, but it will pass before too long - know it's hard to watch someone you love suffer, though.

Take care of yourself also and thanks for the updates,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 04:27:35 pm »
Hi Kristin-

Just checking in to see how your mom is doing.  Hopefully the nausea is better now - probably not helped by the pain meds.  I am one of the lucky people who didn't have any problems with nausea, and for that I am very grateful!

I can't beleive she was eating mac and cheese the first day and up and walking on Day Two - that is awesome!!  Give her a hug from all of us, okay?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2009, 11:04:26 am »
Kristin,
Thanks for the updates.  Right after surgery is the most difficult but it will only get better from here.  By the way, I think it's common for the night to be worse--everything hurts more at night for some reason.  Tell your mom she is doing great!
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2009, 08:45:05 pm »
hey all! it's still kristin...good news! WE HAVE THE MAGIC SCARF!!  ;D  i had to run back home last night to pick up a few things, and it was on our front porch as i was walking out the door! Her face lit up when i surprised her with it this evening. 

Tonight is the first time i am spending the night with my mama in the hospital. she is still in a significant amount of pain. she doesn't want to get up and walk or eat. we are all being very patient with her because it is her decision, but she is just as stubborn as a mule and i wish she wouldn't dig her heels in! hehe   
i don't tell her this of course, i'm just venting because i want her to eat and walk more. but as i've been told by a previous post (you know who you are  ;) ) "this is not a race, it's a marathon". so she is taking things at the pace at which she feels comfortable. her double vision has gone away, but she is still dizzy and balance is off.

well i have to wrap this up, the wireless connection here isn't that hot :(

thinking of you all! just thought i'd give a quick update...i think we are coming home tomorrow!! keep your fingers crossed!
talk to you soon, and hopefully my mom will be taking over and posting her little heart out! she will have lots to share :)

now i'm going to sit here and think of something clever to do with the magic scarf...hmm....letting the creative juices flow!

lots of love,
kristin
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2009, 11:32:44 am »
Kristen:

Thanks for the update on your mom and her receipt of the coveted 'Magic Scarf ', we appreciate it!  :)

I can understand both your mom's reluctance to go (what she considers) too fast with her recovery as well as your frustration that she isn't doing more.  You're correct when you note that she has to proceed at her own pace and that AN surgery recovery is definitely a marathon, not a race.  I would guess that her pain is inhibiting her from doing more.  One hopes the pain will pass and she'll feel better and be motivated to walk, eat and 'whatever'.  Get as much rest as you can, Kirsten, and thanks again for the update on your mom.  Tell her she's an official 'postie,' now (post-operative AN patient). :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2009, 11:38:03 am »
I can understand both your mom's reluctance to go (what she considers) too fast with her recovery as well as your frustration that she isn't doing more.  You're correct when you note that she has to proceed at her own pace and that AN surgery recovery is definitely a marathon, not a race. 

Excellent point from Jim.  Everyone recovers differently from AN surgery and your mom - with the guidance of her doctors - will "get there" when she's ready.  She's just been through a major surgery and it will take some time.  Patience is very important.  So is encouragement.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2009, 12:01:41 pm »
I remember too well that I had no desire for food for a few days after each of my surgeries.   It is very hard to make yourself eat when you can't stand to.                  I have been on the nurse end also and feel for people with no appetite esp once I knew what it felt like.               You do end feeling weaker and once can eat again then helps so much.
Once a patient is in a regular room at Univ of Iowa then you call down for your food.       They had such a large and good menu and no desire for any of it.          Pudding and iced granite worked at first and finally a potato.                    I made up for it once home.
                                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jill

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2009, 06:12:09 pm »
Kristin,

Hopefully you will get home tomorrow.  I am sure your mom will feel better in her own comfortable surroundings.  Give your mom a hug for me.  Thanks for the update.  You are a very special daughter.

Jill

robynabc

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2009, 07:04:02 am »
 Hi,

Your post made me cry.  I am so happy for you.  I remember this time very well and it is very hard for the patient but it is equally as difficult to watch our loved ones go through this.

My 18 year old had a huge tumor and he did not have much facial issues at all.  He also had high blood pressure.  He had to go on High blood pressure medication for some time after the surgery and it is not exactly low now but within normal now.   I think this can be quite normal.  My son had surgery over a year and a half ago and he is doing very well now.   Once you get through the first few days ,  weeks and a month you will be amazed at how much better things are after that.   I remember Eric telling me after the surgery that he wished he could sleep for a couple weeks and then wake up an be some better.  There were good days and bad days but really the big improvements were made after he got off those god awful steroids. 

Hang in there.  The people on this board are the most caring,  wonderful people I have ever met. Your mother is so lucky to have you.

Love,

Robyn
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 07:08:56 am by robynabc »
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

wendysig

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2009, 07:39:26 am »
Hi Kristin -
Thanks for the update on your mom.  I'm glad to hear she has the Magic Scarf because it tends to cheer up the person who is in possession of it.  I really do feel it has the magic of the positive vibes of each person who had it before.  We will all be looking forward to seeing a picture of your mom wearing it! 

Everyone's recovery is a little different and your mom needs all the support you can give right now.  Once she's home, I'm sure she'll feel a lot better.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!