Author Topic: Los Angeles Area Meetup -- Sunday, January 25  (Read 11402 times)

fbarbera

Los Angeles Area Meetup -- Sunday, January 25
« on: January 14, 2009, 02:07:26 pm »
Hello All:

For those of you in the Los Angeles Area (that means you Rick and Marci!!), please join us for a AN brunch gathering on Sunday, January 25 at 12:30 p.m. at Farmer's Market on 3rd and Fairfax Blvd.  Nancy, David, Lainie and I will be there -- Rick, Marci and all others out there, please join us!!  The last gathering was legendary -- the good vibrations are still being felt across the globe.... :)

Here are the details:

What:  AN Brunch Gathering
When:  Sunday, Jan. 25 at 12:30 p.m.
Where:  Farmer's Market at Third Street and Fairfax  (6333 W. 3rd Street, Los Angeles, CA 90036)

Let's meet in front of the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Coffee Shop and then head off together to a brunch spot.

Please PM me to confirm and I'll send over my cell number so we can be in touch and work out logistics.

Looking forward to it!

Francesco

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Los Angeles Area Meetup -- Sunday, January 25
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 04:00:48 pm »
I wish I could join! Piccies! Piccies! And please blow the warm weather this way, will ya?

Have a great time all and enjoy!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

LADavid

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 06:55:42 pm »
Francesco -- Thanks for pulling it all together.  I will be there.  And The Farm of Beverly Hills is a good place to eat.  They have an outdoor patio that's a little less noisy.  BTW -- as a laugh.  Our waiter at Jerry's kept trying to give me back the big tip we left for him.  I think he was trying to get me to recount it thinking that we had made a mistake.

And Phyl, warm air is one thing -- but we've had a heat wave.  Records dropping left and right.  We could use a little of your cool weather.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

QRM

• Was an architect now stay at home dad
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 08:36:28 pm »
Great to meet everyone, I am zipping up to Phuket in Thailand to meet my folks for a few days and straight back to Singapore to jump on the flight to LA. This assuming there is no military coup, or protesters take over all the airports again in Thailand.

See you all soon.

Rick
2.5 cm x 1.1 cm AN 30 Oct 08  Singapore Gleneagles Hosp.
Translab on  29 Jan 09 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of HEI
Surgery a success!! had wonky head for a while and odd tastes
Everyday things are improving and getting back to normal.

LADavid

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 10:54:57 pm »
Rick
The way things are going in the world, plan on the uprising.  Just remember to tell everyone you encounter, "I'm having brain tumor surgery next week" and they'll say "oh" as they think "poor b**stard" and let you move on thinking "Thank God it's not me."  It works like a charm -- or a curse -- don't know which.  But you won't get stuck in any of those messy rebellions.
See you soon.
David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 07:38:33 am »
Hi all,
I plan to be there.  Just returned to Italy where it was a balmy 45 degrees, to Oberlin, where it is 3, yes 3 degrees, I'm not kidding.  So, that being said, a heat wave will be fine with me.  My  body is so confused at this point....

All you LA folks should come to the Oberlin concert at Disney Hall on Saturday the 24th in the afternoon.  If you have a problem getting tickets let me know and I'll see if I can come up with some comps.

All best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

LADavid

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 10:25:28 am »
Welcome back, Marci.  Do you have any details on the concert on Saturday -- specifically time.  I'm going to see what I can find out here.  What will you be playing?  And btw, I don't think I ever did know this, what instrument do you play?

I'm thinking that it will be a bit cooler next weekend ... but NOT 3 degrees.

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

MAlegant

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 10:53:33 am »
Hi David,
I'm not playing, the Oberlin Orchestra is playing.  (I'm the dean of students at the conservatory so they are "my" students.  I'm a rusty ex-singer, remember?) http://inside.oberlin.edu/westcoast/events.shtml is the website that has the information, but if you want to go, please let me try to get comps first.
Best,
Marci

(I do play the piano, clarinet and flute, all equally badly.)
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

LADavid

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 11:16:42 am »
Ah, now I remember.  I knew about the rusty ex-singer -- I just got lost on your affiliation with the Orchestra.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 11:48:29 am »
I'm not playing, the Oberlin Orchestra is playing.  (I'm the dean of students at the conservatory so they are "my" students.  I'm a rusty ex-singer, remember?) http://inside.oberlin.edu/westcoast/events.shtml is the website that has the information, but if you want to go, please let me try to get comps first.

Marci, that was a great link to post. Besides the blurbs on the west coast tour, it has a link to the Oberlin Conservatory itself. I had no idea it was such an important center of music. Things that impressed me:

* Rave reviews from the national press. The "hotbed" quote is good, but my favorite is the single word from Vivien Schweitzer of the New York Times: "stellar."

* 200 pianos on the Oberlin campus. Excuse me, I mean 200 Steinway grand pianos, in addition to the various other ones.

* When mentioning how many practice rooms you have (150), you make a point of mentioning "with windows."

* Not only do you have a Professor of Trombone, you also have an Associate Professor of Jazz Trombone.  8)

I can well imagine that leaving the old world charm of Tuscany and heading back into that "hotbed" might ramp up some tension and produce some facial discomfort, but you are doing great work at Oberlin, Marci. It's worth it. Best wishes for a great performance.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MAlegant

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 11:58:05 am »
Hey Steve,
It's also a hotbed for other things but I digress...And if you've ever been in a conservatory, most practice rooms are really just closets.  The "windows" thing is a great recruitment tool. I spent most of my time in Italy with a student jazz quartet (love those boys) and their professor (love him too).  8)
Ciao

LADavid

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 11:59:09 am »
Wow!  I am totally impressed.  Francesco, Lainie, Nancy -- anyone interesting in going on Saturday?
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

NL

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 02:23:36 pm »
David,

I'd definitely be interested in going. I'm aware of Oberlin's reputation as a great music school and would love to hear the orchestra (though I was hoping Marci would be singing, too :)). And I've yet to attend a concert at Disney Hall (I've explored the architectural nooks and crannies from the outside - an amazing building) - so it'll be a great chance to experience both.

Regarding Sunday, I've also been in touch with Linda, who lives in LA and had her surgery when Cheri was in town. She's going to try to make it to the lunch, too.

It's shaping up to be a busy weekend!

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

MAlegant

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 05:00:33 pm »
Hi all,
I'm working on getting some comp tickets (it says sold out but it's usually not the case) so I need to know who wants to go.  Let me know....
Best,
Marci

MAlegant

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 05:58:56 pm »
Hi again
Definitely can get comp tickets which I will leave at the will-call so let me know who wants to go....
Marci (looking forward to walking on the beach instead of ice skating on my driveway)