Author Topic: 9 days away and I have no PATIENCE! HELP....  (Read 4226 times)

Jwh

9 days away and I have no PATIENCE! HELP....
« on: January 17, 2009, 10:02:18 am »
Help!  I'm nine days away from my scheduled Translab surgery and I have absolutely no tolerance for ANYTHING!  Every little thing is making me nuts and want to go off the deep end.  The kids crying, normal everyday demands is sooo difficult for me.  I just want to be left alone with my own thoughts. Yikes, this is hard.
 >:(
On top of it all, both of my kids have full blown colds!!!  I'm petrified that I'll get sick now and will have to postpone the surgery.  This happened to me the first time and I broke down in tears!
Need some support....
Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

wendysig

Re: 9 days away and I have no PATIENCE! HELP....
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 10:56:47 am »
Hi Jen,
I know how nerve wracking things can get when you are this close to surgery and I would guess the second time around is even worse, especially when everyone around you is sick.   My husband and kids were all sick right before my BAHA surgery (not quite as important as yours but I was still afraid I would have to put it off and really didn't want to).   The only advice I can give you is to take a deep breath when you feel yourself starting to come unglued and take some alone time -- even ten minutes will help if that's all you can get sometimes.   Try doing relaxation exercises.  One that's always helped me to to concentrate on relaxing each part of my body starting with my feet and working up to my head.  It's not that easy the first few times you try it, but it does get easier and works  better each time you do it.  To try to ward off a coldl, take a multivitamin every day and vitamin C and get as much rest as  you can.  Try not to stress out too much -- easier said than done I know, but stress weakens the immune system. 

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 10:58:47 am »
Jen,
I needed anti anxiety meds to get me through the final stretch before surgery.  I took Xanax and it worked wonders.  Hang in there, soon it will be over.
Best,
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Tamara

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 11:38:59 am »
Maybe try to find something to look forward to in the intervening days - a night out with friends, or an hour at a spa...whatever works for you.  Also, if you find that niggling feeling in your throat that signals a cold is on it's way, I heartily recommend Zicam (I think that's the spelling),  I have thus far warded off 3 colds in the past year.  There are tablets for under your tongue, but I think they taste nasty, so I used the nasal gel swabs this last time.  Also, clean obsessively with antibacterial and viral wipes, if possible.  Especially important are faucets, light switches, door knobs, telephones, and KEYBOARDS! 

Wishing you peace,
Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

salamander

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 11:50:26 am »
Jen,

You are in a tough stretch!  Believe me, the day will arrive!!  I spent the month waiting for my surgery getting healthy.  I felt that getting my heart as strong as possible could only help.  So I walked alot (it was fall, and nice weather I will add).   It was calming, and healthy.  It might even help you fend off any cold germs!!  (are the kids too sick to join you for a nice walk?)

I hope you can find some time for yourself!!  I spent a lot of time inhaling and exhaling when my patience was thin. 

Hang in there!!

Samantha
2.9 cm right side AN;
Retrosigmoid/Sub-occipital surgery 11/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus), facial weakness, dry eye, eye weight, headaches.
Some movement of face at 7 months

Jwh

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 01:09:32 pm »
Hi, everyone thank you for taking the time and writing me back.  For the first time since my rediagnosis, I broke down in tears today.  I just feel an overwhelming burden right about now.  My doctor did prescribe some Kolopin for me which has been helping.  I have my pre-op on Tuesday and I wish they would tell me that they could fit me in next week.  Just want it over with now  :(

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 01:56:10 pm »
Jen:

I'm sorry you have to deal with so much stress at this critical point.  All the really good advice has been given; disinfect, take Zicam if needed and definitely try to take some 'me-time' as you move toward your surgery.  This is the time for a spouse or other family member or friends to help out, even though you haven't yet had the surgery.  I would ask.  Going into surgery stressed and tense can't be good.  Don't let that happen.  Your kids need a mom that is functioning, not a  shrill, impatient woman who is scary to be around.  That really isn't you, of course, but the stress of your upcoming surgery seems to be making you that way.  You have to try to balance things a bit and that probably means some time for yourself.  It's hard to hold a positive attitude when you're totally distracted by the demands of motherhood.  I hope and will pray that you can find some peace and solace in the next few days.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 02:54:14 pm »
Ah, Jen, I'm sending you a great big hug.  Wish I could snap my fingers and have it all be over and behind you.  You can always call me if you just want to vent.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

JohnnyDiaz

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 03:42:48 pm »
The most difficult part of this journey is the need to control every situation. However, in my case the more I tried to deal with kids and sickness the more anxious I got. Another AN person who had been through the surgery said to stop / pray / and to turn over the situation to GOD. I did and everytime that I got scared I would do this. Stay strong and before you know it it will be a week later and on the mend. We  will be thinking of you and thank you so much for sharing.
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 06:00:27 pm »
The most difficult part of this journey is the need to control every situation.

I absolutely agree with Johnny.  Release control, Jen! 

Jan (a certified control freak)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 06:20:21 pm »
The most difficult part of this journey is the need to control every situation.
I absolutely agree with Johnny.  Release control, Jen!

Yup. Put it on autopilot. Sit back and let it unfold. If you get a cold, well then that happens. It won't be long now.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jwh

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 07:00:09 pm »
The most difficult part of this journey is the need to control every situation. However, in my case the more I tried to deal with kids and sickness the more anxious I got. Another AN person who had been through the surgery said to stop / pray / and to turn over the situation to GOD. I did and everytime that I got scared I would do this. Stay strong and before you know it it will be a week later and on the mend. We  will be thinking of you and thank you so much for sharing.

Very good advice!  I need to let things happen as they come ( :  I've been busy cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning my house.  It's never looked so good.  Doing my best to keep busy and productive.

Pembo

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 05:53:46 pm »
Jen, those days before surgery were harder than the days after!!! Hang in there. I too had a very clean house, kind of like the nesting thing when you're about to give birth. I also made sure bills were paid and checks were written for the next pay day. I had lists of all kinds of things. Control what I could!

My doc also said I could have anti-anxiety meds. You might want to consider them. As for the kids colds, wash your hands constantly, take your vitamin C and zinc, and get plenty of rest. I had my preop labs done a week before surgery. I had a urinary infection show up. No symptoms, just showed in the labs. I had to take antibiotics and get tested again in the days before surgery. Call your doc for advice.

The day before surgery I took my then 1 yo dd to the zoo. I was so dizzy I could hardly walk and we stayed only a couple hours and I was exhausted but I didn't regret it all.

This will be behind you soon, stay strong and vent to us when you need to, even if it's 20x a day. :)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Jwh

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 08:03:31 pm »
Jen, those days before surgery were harder than the days after!!! Hang in there. I too had a very clean house, kind of like the nesting thing when you're about to give birth. I also made sure bills were paid and checks were written for the next pay day. I had lists of all kinds of things. Control what I could!

My doc also said I could have anti-anxiety meds. You might want to consider them. As for the kids colds, wash your hands constantly, take your vitamin C and zinc, and get plenty of rest. I had my preop labs done a week before surgery. I had a urinary infection show up. No symptoms, just showed in the labs. I had to take antibiotics and get tested again in the days before surgery. Call your doc for advice.

The day before surgery I took my then 1 yo dd to the zoo. I was so dizzy I could hardly walk and we stayed only a couple hours and I was exhausted but I didn't regret it all.

This will be behind you soon, stay strong and vent to us when you need to, even if it's 20x a day. :)

I could've written this post!  I feel like I'm nesting ( :  Now I feel a cold coming on ohhhh no!!!  Is it for real or is it my imagination!  Everyone is sick in my house  - boo whoooo.  I'm soooo scared I'm getting sick that can't happen!  It would make me crazy to reschedule ) :

lori67

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 10:53:54 pm »
Jen,

I'll make the generous offer that I made to Cheri prior to her surgery (she never did take me up on the offer) - if cleaning makes you feel better, I've got plenty to keep you busy - you'll feel great!!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.