Author Topic: Capt Deb's 6th ANniversary  (Read 3530 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Capt Deb's 6th ANniversary
« on: January 17, 2009, 04:48:07 pm »
Six years ago this evening I wasn't feeling so hot to say the least!  And it was all downhill from there, too. I had found this site in its previous incarnation as a listserve pre-op, but as my headaches grew worse and worse I became unable to keep up with the volume of emails in my inbox and I unsubscribed to it.  At about 3 years I found this Forum and you people and hope! 
I am posting this as a huge thank you to everyone for all your support, laughter, advice,and cyberhugs for the past 3 years.  I hope too that I have been of at least a little help to anyone who has suffered from post-op headaches like I have.  There is hope out there.  Thank you, too to the ANA for giving us this place to go when no one else seems  to understand. What else can I say, folks? My gratitude is immeasurable!

Today I am at a party celebrting my Grandson's 6th birthday and Nanny Deb dressed as a robot and entertained the 18 kiddies to no end with arms made of metallic flex pipe and salad tongs with a colander hat.  Too much fun!!! Life is good. And with only one ear, the screaming was only half as loud!!

Love and ((((HUUUGGS))))

Capt Deb 8)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 05:01:43 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Capt Deb's 6th ANniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 05:58:32 pm »
So, Nanny Deb, when are you going to post those robot pictures?  I, for one, would love to see them  ;D

A heartfelt thanks to you for being such a source of inspiration - and humor - to so many of us here.  And a huge CONGRATULATIONS!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 06:25:56 pm »
I second Jan - thanks for being here, Deb. What we do without you?  :o

I am delighted to hear that you celebrated in fine style. Life is pretty good sometimes.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 06:28:52 pm »
Capt Deb, you are the best!  So terribly sorry you have had to endure so much pain in your AN journey.  It sucks big time, hun.  Consider yourself hugged, our sweet and fearless Captain.  You are a true leader and inspiration to us all.
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Sue in Vancouver, USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 06:34:30 pm »
Hey Cap'n Deb,    Lookie who,  It's me  yotee.............just happened to hop on here and go lurking and saw the 6th ANiversary post.  Congrats ye lady Cap'n you.  Yes lotsa fun and laughter we have had on this here forum.  I'm just over 4 years post op and didn't find this wonderful place until I was almost 2 years out.  Was on here constantly for about a year or so, not so much anymore, but know I can always come back for a cyper hug or two.  The folks on here are wonderful,  and esp our Cap'n Deb.
 ;)

HUGS
Patti UT.......yodelayhehoo
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 07:37:54 pm »
Congratulations!  Sounds like you celebrated in style!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 02:15:27 pm »
WOW!  6 years!  I haven't even made 1 yet! ;)  My sincerest congratulations on such a milestone!  That's awesome!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 02:37:38 pm »

I do the PUPPY DANCE with you ! ! !         Happy Anniversary  Capt. ! !

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 03:27:31 pm »
well, m'dear Captn! Cursed Cruise Director, reporting for celebratory activities! and what a reason to celebrate! :)   Me thinks I'll have the grogmeister bring out the barrels, pour a pint or 2 and watch you blow your diet by partaking in festivities that brings music (and a few crickets ;) ) to your ears!

Congrats hun! wow! Can't believe that long!

xoxooxoxoxoxox
guess who? :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Static

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 05:43:18 pm »
Hey Deb! Just wanted to say Hi and congrats and send you a few hugs.  Tomorrow (21st) is my 5 year.  Seems like it's been forever, but also seems like I still don't have my life back and don't feel like I ever will!  Anyway, just popped in for a quick hello and a couple of hugs xox 
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 07:26:14 pm »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Good grief "NANNY Deb,

Now if you hadn't joined this forum, it would be over 100,000 posts less, coz we wouldn't have a parrot driving the Good Ship PBW, we would still have to deal with that sea monster, I would be sane, well, less insane than now and I would be speaking better coz I'm adding too many pirate words in my sentences.

But on the other hand, we wouldn't have got to know you and thats worth everything. Through thick and thin and the brainwrecks, you keep on trying to help others. Thats charachter.

I'm so glad that I've had the priveledge to get to know you.

Your a bottler Deb (that means a champion) Just jope one day, I'll be able to meet you.

Laz

2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 07:55:30 pm »
Six years!!!  So sorry you had AN and all the brainwrecks, but SO GLAD you were here to help fellow suffers with your wit, your strength and courage.   :-* :-* :-*

All the best my Sawyer luving friend.  He's back....... tomorrow night.  Can't wait.  ;)

Anne Marie oxox
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 08:36:30 am »
Captain Nanny Deb,

Thanks for being on board for the journey.  You have a great gift of easing people's burdens with humor.  May the brainwreck jumby slink away to the ocean depths.
Regards,
  Rob

1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 09:22:06 am »
Hi Capt. Deb -
Congratulations on your 6th ANniversary -- something really worth celebrating.  It sounds like your grandson's birthday party was a smashing success and you all had a lot of fun. 

Finding this forum has been  a lifesaver for most if not all of us.  The support we get from all of our fellow forumites is an amazing gift. 

Congratulations again!

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 03:25:45 pm »
Captain, my Captain:

You're a valuable member of these forums and I'm delighted to learn that your life has improved so much, lately.  The birthday party sounds like a grandparents delight!  I want photos, too.  :)

I'm so pleased to know that the website and message boards have been a help to you, Deb.  That's their purpose and of course, your contributions have helped many others, I'm sure.

I unabashedly echo Steve's astute observation that, "sometimes, life is pretty good":)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.