Author Topic: 3 days away some questions...  (Read 3888 times)

Jwh

3 days away some questions...
« on: January 23, 2009, 08:01:05 am »
Ok, I'm 3 days away and I don't necessarily have a cold but I'm definitely have some yellow mucus when I blow my nose.  I don't have a fever, cough, or sneezing.  I'm freakin' out what should I do?  Will it be safe to have the surgery.  For the girls, I just got my "friend" what does that mean?  Come on now - what luck.
Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

wendysig

Re: 3 days away some questions...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 08:26:18 am »
Hi Jen,
It sounds like you might have the beginning of a sinus infection - CRAP -- I hope I can say  that moderators.  Conact you GP ASAP and see what he says.  If I am  right, unfortunately, your surgery will probably be postponed -- I hope I'm wrong.  In the meantime, until you can get to the doc, try put a warm compress over your face and if you can get to the drugstore, irrigating your nasal cavities with a saline mist (I forget what it's callled but it's near the nasal spray) or saline nose drops might help.  I'm obviously not a doctor myself, but these things have helped me in the  past.  As for getting your frined (?).  I don't think that's an issue since AN surgery doesn't involve much blood loss -- just a couple of tablespoons is my understanding, but you should check with your doc on this too.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 09:53:06 am »
Thats you doctors call  .. talk to him !! make sure he has all the facts..
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 10:18:38 am »
DEFINITELY call the DR.!!!!
About the other, I woke up with mine in ICU so it obviously won't bother the surgery at all...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jwh

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 10:19:08 am »
well called the doc and they said they will only cancel if I have a fever (which I don't have).  they also called in a prescription for me of antibiotics.  What do you guys think?

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 11:22:12 am »
Sounds reasonable to me.  They're trying to head off any development of an infection that would come with fever and thereby delay the surgery.  Get the antibiotics and take them.  Hopefully it'll be head off completely before your surgery.  Doctor's will postpone if necessary, but not unecessarily.  Make sure they know everything about how you're doing / feeling.

Good luck!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

lori67

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 11:26:46 am »
Jen,

The anesthesiologist will assess you prior to your surgery.  Usually, as long as your lungs are clear and you're not running a fever, you'll be okay.  If there's any question or concern, they will postpone the surgery, which is no fun for you, but sometimes just has to be done.  In the meantime, take the antibiotics, eat a healthy diet and keep yourself well hydrated.

As far as your girlie issues, that's not a problem.  Just an inconvenience for you, but won't affect your surgery.  I woke up with mine in the ICU also - many times the steroids they give you post op to control swelling will mess with your hormones enough to get things going in that department.  The nurses are used to it, trust me.

Think positive and wish those cold germs away!!!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 12:53:54 pm »
Jen,
I was glad to hear your surgery is on unless you start running a fever, which of course, I hope won't happenr.  I hope you are taking the antibiotics by now and that they will head off any real problem.  The docs have your best health interests at heart and obviously know more than the rest of us so follow their instructions.  Drink lots of fluids -- that will also help you feel better.  Staying hydrated in cold weather is something many of us fail to do and, in my opinion, is one of the things that makes colds and viruses worse than they need to be.

Beest wishes,
Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 01:09:19 pm »
Glad you don't have a fever and the surgery will still go on.  As far as your "friend" goes, they will take care of everything in the hospital, just let them know.  I hope all goes well for you.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jwh

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 05:09:44 pm »
Well, I think the show must go on!  I already started my antibiotics and spoke with the doctor.  It's funny how I'm excited about that ?!?

Since I'm a nervous nellie, I've been prescribed 2 Kolopin (1 mg each) and a beta blocker before the surgery.  This way I should be nice and relaxed.   When I went for my pre-op my ekg was 130 bpm.  Little nervous ha....  They said that the above medicine should work good.

Humm - not much longer now - I'm scared ) :

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 05:39:16 pm »
Jen,
I think being a little scared is perfectly normal -- it is major surgery and your second time around.  Please take comfort that you will be in good hands and think positive thoughts.  We are all with you in spirit and are all pulling for you.  Try to do some fun things this weekend and keep your mind off your surgery as much as possible.  Monday will be here before you know it.  Will someone be posting for you?

Sending you a big (((HUG)))
Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jwh

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 05:45:01 pm »
Yes, my husband Michael.  He will give updates  ::)  Thanks for asking.

Cheryl R

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 05:58:46 pm »
It's ok to be scared even 2nd time around.             I'm one of those speak from experience ones here.      Just now we know that we have that tired feeling to go thru all over again.       
I am on a beta blocker for my BP and it does help the pulse rate.      It can also help those with migraines if they keep you on it post op for awhile as may as the BP does go up for some past surgery for a bit.   
          I wish you well and will be thinking of you!            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

LADavid

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 10:32:28 pm »
Jen -- I have nothing to add to the great advice that's already been given -- just have a great surgery and recovery.  Before you know it, the only thing that will be important to you is ice chips.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jwh

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 07:17:46 am »
Oh yes, I remember those sacred ice chips.  Needed them, loved them!  Thanks for the reminder.