Author Topic: Weekend Before Surgery  (Read 3640 times)

nteeman

• Back to Mono
Weekend Before Surgery
« on: January 24, 2009, 02:38:43 pm »
Greetings all:

I just wanted to post something before my surgery. I have been occupying myself with chores and being with my wife and kids, trying not to think too much about Tuesday's events. I got a real short haircut today so managing my bandaged head won't be as much an issue.  As far as I can tell everything is set and ready to go (insurance, disability, etc.)  While I am pretty good during the day I must admit that I haven't slept well for a while.  In a way I still can't believe this is happening to me.  I just try to keep myself focused on the recovery and not think about the operation. I set mental goals for myself - wake up in recovery room - get from ICU to regular room - go home. I plan to keep focused on the next step as I go through each part of the process.  I'll have my wife email Debbi with my progress.

Tonight I'm planning to treat myself to a Chinese Food dinner. Tomorrow some more chores then on Monday, the night before, I plan to watch my 8 year old son's wrestling team practice -- it is very entertaining.

Wish me well and all kind thoughts are appreciated.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

JohnnyDiaz

Re: Weekend Before Surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 02:49:18 pm »
Sounds like you are right on track with what you are doing. Having goals was so important during my journey. I have said this a bunch of times, but before you know it - it will be a week later and you will be on the mend. Remember that you are not alone, roll with what is going on and let things work themselves out. Please post what is going on and I will pray for your speedy recovery. Keep us updated.
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!

Mickey

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 03:19:54 pm »
Good Luck Johnny! Everything will be fine and many prayers are with you. Mickey

cin605

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 03:32:04 pm »
Good luck!Looking forward to hear about your journey.Get plenty of rest & remember its O.K. to ask for assistance.
Cindy
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 03:40:43 pm »
Neal,

Best wishes as you approach your surgery date! It sounds as though you're doing all the right things to prepare for it by trying to stay focused on other things and looking ahead to the recovery stage. Since you'll be asleep during the operation, you don't even need to think about that part of the process! I hope that you'll remember all the encouragement from the New York lunch group a couple of weeks ago and will rest assured that we'll still be cheering you on.

Thoughts and prayers will be with you and we'll look forward to your updates!

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 04:48:02 pm »
Neal:

You're on the right track!  Staying relatively busy before surgery and focusing elsewhere is always a sound strategy.  Setting goals is what I did and the strategy worked out well. 

The surgery will have you 'asleep' for however long it takes and pretty tired and 'groggy' immediately afterward.  Assuming you have no real complications, having the anesthesia eliminated from your brain and body may take a day or more, then you'll begin to feel better.  Sitting up in a chair was my first 'accomplishment', post-op.  Then, walking the halls (with my wife by my side) was the next.  By Day 3 I began to feel relatively normal and was able to eat, a somewhat major achievement, considering the quality of hospital food.  By Day 4 - out of the ICU and in a 'regular' (semi-private) room, I still tired easily but was becoming anxious to go home.  By the late morning of Day 5, the PT nurse made me demonstrate that I wouldn't fall down the stairs and could navigate by myself.  That having been accomplished to her satisfaction, my doctor's assistant (also a neurosurgeon) signed off on my discharge and I was enjoying brunch at a nearby eatery with my wife and adult son by noon that day.  Once home, I slept a lot but slowly regained my strength and was pretty much ready to resume my normal life within 10 days of my discharge.  My doctor gave me permission to drive two weeks after my discharge and I never looked back.  My recovery was quite rapid and within a month of my surgery I was doing pretty much everything I did prior to my hospitalization.  The fact that I'm retired likely helped - no job to deal with -  but I don't lead a sedentary life, by any means. 

Not every AN surgical patient has the same experience and 'your mileage may vary' but with a successful surgery and absent any serious post-op complications, with your goal-oriented attitude and family support, you should do well.   In the meantime, know that many, many people who know what you're going through are sending you good thoughts and including you in their prayers.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 06:34:53 pm »
Hi Neal,
Keeping yourself occupied in the days leading up to your surgery is the best medicine, in my opinion anyway.   Watching our eight year old's wrestling team sounds like a fun.  I'm sure you will be very good hands on Tuesday.  You know you and your famiily will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 06:43:19 pm »
Hi Neal,

Your story sounds familiar.  I was so busy right up until surgery that I really draw a blank about what happened during that time.  I didn't remember conversations I had w/people, but I remembered everything from the moment I woke up after the the surgery. I think I was in hyperdrive. Don't worry...you will have plenty of time to rest after the fat lady sings!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

jtd71465

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 07:07:23 pm »
Neal,

I'm wishing you all the best.  Stay strong.

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 07:13:08 pm »
Neal,

As my mom has always reminded me.... "this, too, shall pass...."... and the time will go quick and keeping yourself busy until then sounds like a good plan.  We're cheering you on and before you know it, "Postiville" will be here for you! And we'll still be cheering you on!

Hang tough!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 06:32:12 am »
Best of Luck, Neal!  My thoughts and prayers are with you as you get to postieland.  Staying busy and getting mentally prepared for the next chapter is what I've done and it really helped me so much!  Gave me some peace of mind, some relief from the endless "whatif" head game I played with myself 24/7, and paid off.  My surgery was 1/13, the 3 days post-op are but a blur, and I'm on my way back!   

Let us know how you're doing when you can - or even better - have someone be your spokesman so we can keep tabs on you.  Keep doing what you're doing!  I think by all the responses from this group, you see that you're right on target!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

suboo73

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 06:42:57 am »
Neal, 

Good luck with your surgery!  I will have you in my thoughts and prayers.

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Jwh

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 09:47:58 am »
I know how you're feeling my surgery is tomorrow - Yikes!   Emotions running strong.  The waiting I believe is the hardest part.  Just hitting me hard now.  You'll be great and we will both be recovering together.
Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 11:48:35 am »
Neal,
I am sending you good luck vibes from frosty Ohio.  Soon it will be over and you will be on the road to recovery. 
All best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 02:16:43 pm »
Good luck to you, Neal, as you "head" towards surgery.  I do hope it all goes smoothly and that your recovery is uneventful.  We love uneventful and "no drama" around here.  Boring is a good thing.

Take care,

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode