Author Topic: Bell's 10 week update  (Read 1517 times)

bell

Bell's 10 week update
« on: February 03, 2009, 01:19:44 pm »
Well, I finally made it through.  What a long 10 weeks this has been.  I am feeling good, off meds, driving and getting my sass back.  Still enjoy staying home from work and being lazy.  Slowly getting back to normal routine of doing chores and shopping. I still have wonky head, headaches, dry eye and neck aches.  Wainting for another month to feel great!   I am thankful for not having to many complications in recovery.
I  enjoy reading everyone's chat but I get nothing done at home.  But I guess I am not suppose to be doing much.  I am off of work until March 1, I think I will be ready but worried about the long days as I am a Flight Attendant.
Trying to adjust to SSD I think I will have BAHA installed some time this summer, I find it is hard to understand the kids.  I think they are tired of hearing "what."
I will keep everyone in my thoughts and definetly try to help others as they expierence the same AN complications.  I thank everyone for all of the information you have provided. No one knows what we go through except us.  JBell

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Bell's 10 week update
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:22:44 pm »
Welcome to "postieland"!  As I recall, the first 10 weeks were the roughest (like Steve likes to say, the first 3 days don't count).  It certainly sounds like you're recovering very nicely.  Take it easy and enjoy the time off.  I readily admit that while I recovered, I didn't do much except sleep and watch tv.  Ice cream was my best friend, too! ;)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 01:56:05 pm »
Hi, Bell:

Thanks for posting your recovery update - and a good one it is!  :) 

You seem to be recuperating at a fairly average pace, although there really is no 'average' for AN recovery.  I would suggest you don't set absolute dates to reach a specific level of recovery because your body doesn't observe a calendar and you might be disappointed if certain things don't happen by some specific date you've set.  This often leads to frustration, which is counter-productive but yet, uniquely human - and something to be avoided, whenever possible.  Going back to work in a few more weeks is great, if you can handle it.  I trust that you will.  Realize that you'll very likely tire more easily than you once did.  The BAHA is always a reasonable idea.  Many of our members have them and almost all are quite satisfied. 

Your offer to help other AN patients is both accepted and welcomed!  Now, relax and enjoy your 'vacation'.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 08:31:36 am »
Hi Bell,

I'm happy to hear your recovery is going well!  I also spent (and still spend) a great deal of time on the forum reading and writing  posts and it is very easy to lose track of time.  I hope you ar getting to enjoy some of your time off -- March 1 will be here before you know it.  I had BAHA surgery on January 5 and it truly was a piece of cake, especially compared to AN surgery.  I am very much looking forward to the day when I can use my processor -- hopefully in just about two months -- time flies when you're having fun.

Wishing you continued good healing,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 08:33:37 pm »
 :) glad to hear it is going well Bell. i think my 6 month was a bigger deal then 10 weeks but then i dont really remember a lot of my first couple weeks anyway. and for sure dont count those first 4 days  lol

i went back to work at 6 weeks. i teach college and BOY HOWDY was i dragging a lot.

enjoy the time off. the baha is a nice application but maybe check into a transear as well. and no i dont have either BUT the transear doesnt require more surgery....

10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

Pembo

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 10:36:04 am »
Hey Bell...glad to hear you are doing well. I decided on the BAHA about a year after surgery...my kids were a deciding factor. I couldn't hear them when we were in the car and I missed our conversations when it was just the two of us.

Find a good massage place and your neck (& maybe your headaches) will feel much better, dry eye-Lacrilube was my friend and look into Restasis if the dry eye continues, as for wonky head....it gets better with time. Take care of yourself....
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:58:21 am »

Trying to adjust to SSD I think I will have BAHA installed some time this summer, I find it is hard to understand the kids.  I think they are tired of hearing "what."

Boy I can totally relate to that.  I got as tired of saying "what" as my kids did of hearing it  ;D  Thank God for the BAHA.  The implant surgery is a piece of cake - short, outpatient procedure; can even be done with local anesthetic.  I could have returned to work the very next morning, but I didn't want to amuse my colleagues too much with my lovely "hat". 

Glad to hear things are going well for you.

Keep up the good work and don't overdo.

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways