Author Topic: Surgery scheduled!  (Read 2416 times)

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Surgery scheduled!
« on: February 04, 2009, 10:19:02 pm »
Retrosigmoid on March 5th.  It's on the calendar.  I could share so much information that I have received from Dr. Bartels, but while most of it fascinates me, it will probably bore most of you :).

Suffice to say my balance nerve is still very much intact, so when they remove it, I will have a bit of a tough time early on.  Doc says to push myself hard to recover sooner rather than later, but either way he expects this to be a good outcome with about a 60 percent chance of saving my hearing due to tumor location.

Any fellow AN'ers from the Tampa or Central Florida area still reading these boards?

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

kenneth_k

Re: Surgery scheduled!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 03:03:31 am »
Hi Ernie.

Good luck with surgery. This is a huge step forward.

Best regards, Kenneth

JohnnyDiaz

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 05:45:06 am »
A fellow AN'er from North Florida wishing you the best on March 5th. Stay positive and keep us updated....
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 06:47:38 am »
Hey, Ernie!  As you know from hanging around here, getting treatment scheduled is a huge deal and relief, usually.  The day will be here before you know it!  We wish you well and will be watching for updates!

Take care,

Cindy (previously from North Florida)
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Ellenmn

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 07:16:32 am »
GOOD LUCK FOR A VERY SUCCESSFUL SURGERY

satman

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 10:12:28 am »
prayers from dallas,good luck !
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:52:56 am »
Ernie -

congratulations on your date  ;D

I can't speak for everyone, but strangely enough nothing AN really bores me, so feel free to share your information.  Those who are bored have the choice of tuning out if they want to.

You never know what might help a newbie - or even an oldie.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 11:56:37 am »
Yes, Ernie, please share.

Jan: Didn't your Dr. give you vestibular exercises to do pre-surgery so that your recovery would be quicker? Ernie, you might try this.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 12:00:35 pm »
Jan: Didn't your Dr. give you vestibular exercises to do pre-surgery so that your recovery would be quicker?

Yes, he did.  I had to do them both pre and post op and they really helped with my balance and my wonky head.

I still have a xeroxed copy of the exercises, so if you want them Ernie (or anyone else) just PM me your address and I'll be glad to send them to you.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 02:06:32 pm »
Ernie:

I'm a long way from Florida (darn it!) but allow me to add my congratulations on your securing a surgery date.  As you know, this is a major milestone on the AN 'journey'.  You seem to be comfortable with your doctors and this is a crucial factor in a successful AN surgery because it affects your attitude, which appears to be excellent at this point.  I wish you a complication-free surgery and a rapid, recovery.  :)

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 02:34:20 pm »
Ernie, I'm in Sarasota till the end of the month, PM me if you want to talk on the phone or aything. I'd be glad to answer any questions. 

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

EJTampa

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 10:04:38 pm »
Thanks for all the well wishes!  At least I still have a month to get things in order here.  Doctor appointments seem to be piling up on me.  I just got a call today to schedule a visit with the neurosurgeon, and I think I'll meet the anesthesiologist (sp) the day before surgery during pre-op.

My MRI will be 5 months old by my surgery date, but when I asked the doctor if we needed a fresh one, he said "No, we know where it is and how to get to it" :)

Well, time to get some sleep for now.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 08:59:33 am »
Hey Ernie-

Congrats on getting your date!  The next few weeks will probably be a strange mix of too fast and too slow.  I found that time moved at its own pace during that time.  Try to do some fun things, and also try to relax a bit if you can.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 10:16:58 pm »
Yea!  You are on the calendar!  The decision is made and you will be ready when the time comes.  Best of luck for a speedy, uneventful recovery.
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

EJTampa

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 10:45:28 pm »
By the way, how was the cruise?

Cheri

Thanks for all the well wishes (again) :).  The cruise was fun, but there was an epidemic of the norovirus that started on day 2 of the cruise and lasted through day 8.  My dad was confined to his room for the last 3 days of the cruise :(.

I think this time is going to go by too fast.  This Thursday my daughter makes her confirmation to our faith (Catholic), then Friday we leave for Orlando for some fun at Universal Studios until Sunday.  Then it's back to work the next week and before you know it, we're approaching the end of a short month :).

I have doctor appointments galore it seems.  I used to donate money to my health insurance company every month (I never get sick, and rarely require any care), but now I'll be collecting on all that :).  I'm still following everyone's posts here even though I don't always respond.  Cheri's surgery came at a time when I was just learning about the whole AN/Surgery/Radiation thing, so it really helped me to see her (you!) continue to post after surgery!  I will have my wife post about my outcome as well shortly after surgery.

This goes for everyone here that is post surgery or post radiation...You guys make this place what it is.  Without you all hanging around and posting about your ups and downs after treatment, I, and people like myself, would have no peace or comfort in our decisions prior to surgery.  You are all heroes in my book.  A big THANKS to you all from all us pre-posties.

Ernie