Author Topic: Looking for doctors in NJ  (Read 2686 times)

Schleprock

Looking for doctors in NJ
« on: February 14, 2006, 09:49:27 am »
I was just diagnosed with AN and just got the results yesterday, I have seen alot of scary things being talked about. But the one thing I have noticed on this site is that everyone agrees you need top doctors for a better success rate. I need some feedback (positive) on doctors in the Northeast.

Thanks for any input..

Jeff

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Looking for doctors in NJ
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 01:56:57 pm »
I dont know myself .. but if you looking in NJ you should check out http://www.ananj.org/
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 04:04:56 pm »
Jeff,

Don't know about the doctors but make sure that you get second opinions and consider surgery (the 3 main options - trans lab, retris... and middle fossa0 as well as radiation treatment.

Do the research yourself, don't just take the doctors view.

2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Schleprock

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 08:48:22 pm »
Thanks for the advice this is all new to me..

Jeff

philadelphia1

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 09:56:27 pm »
One thing you'll learn from this discussion board is that scapel surgery docs tend to recommend surgery and radiosurgery docs tend to recomend radiation.  This is tough because they all "know" more than you do when you go see them. Of course they don't necessarily know about you. Unless your tumor is very large or unfortunately situated, you'll probably have options.  Once the initial shock wears off, try to get some clarity about if you want to do radiation or surgery.  It is then the choice of docs will come more into play.

If you are in South Jersey you might be considering Philadelphia options.  I had FSR at Thomas Jefferson University in Dec-Jan and would recommend the place.  Dr. David Andrews is head of Neurosurgery and is also a proponent of radiotherapy options (GK and FSR).  I have had a positive experience so far and would recommend him. 
<1cm AN
FSR (26 treatments), Dec 2005 - Jan 2006
Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia

Static

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 08:57:05 pm »
I had my surgery at Jefferson and was taken care of well there.  GK and radiation weren't an option for me since there was alot of pressure on the brainstem.  Do your research and find someone with experience in this area.
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 10:29:39 pm »
Jeff I'm sorry you are joining our club.  Know we are here to answer, help, listen to any questions or concerns you have.  What size is your tumor? Where is it located?  How are you feeling?  All those things will play into your options and what to do and when.  You want the guy who sees these things on a regular basis not just once in a while. 

Keep us posted on your progress!