Author Topic: Post surgery resting?  (Read 5623 times)

JohnnyDiaz

Re: Post surgery resting?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 03:45:16 pm »
Myself the first couple of weeks I didn't want to do anything... It was nice to move around from bed to sofa, to other sofa, to bathroom. That was my workout routine and I remember saying "I don't care about exercises" or how much I move.

Then Car Rides was the next challenge and finally the dreaded physical therapy, which I did not like. But all the goofy things they had me doing really helped and I even beat the PT's on the Wii (balance rope) game.

It is great how you are getting all this info ready. Sounds like you are going to do great with this journey... Thanks,
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 04:20:13 pm »
It is great how you are getting all this info ready. Sounds like you are going to do great with this journey... Thanks,

It should be me thanking all of you :).  I'm being proactive because it's important to me to have a point of reference for post-surgical life BEFORE I have my surgery.  There is more planning that goes into post surgery than the surgery itself.  The surgery seems planned enough.  Go the day before surgery for all the pre-surgery stuff.  Go have the surgery.  Recover for a day or two in ICU.  Get your own room, get up, walk, eat, get off the IV meds, and go home in 3 to 5 days.  While I'm sure there can be complications that will change all that, it's the most likely surgical outcome.

It's the at home recovery that seems so disorganized, or at least, unpredictable.  I need to make sure I have someone at the house with me for X number of days, or X number of weeks if things go more slowly.  I have work related concerns, and family concerns.  I do feel good about my situation, even the post surgery recovery, since all of you have given me so much wonderful insight!  I'm not going to factor in the low percentage complication possibilities.  If one or more of those happens to inflict me, then I will deal with that at the time.  I am staying positive that I will have a "normal" recovery, which I have set aside 8 weeks to accomplish.

Thank you all for chiming in and providing me with your personal experiences.  I give that more weight than a guestimate from any surgeon, since you have all "walked the walk".

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 04:36:51 pm »
Ernie
You sound very prepared for all of this.  I needed someone with me for the first week for sure, could have done it on my own for the second week, but was glad I didn't have to do it.  I was back at work at 7 weeks, but could have used a bit more time off.  It worked however, so your plan sounds perfectly reasonable.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 10:13:09 pm »
Everyone has a different level of dizzy post-op depending on how badly the AN has damaged the vestibular nerve and the level of compensation the opposite side has already accomplished.  Those with small tumors often have a rougher time with balance issues immediately post-op and the quicker they get out and about and get that brain compensating, the quicker the dizzy goes away.  It sure goes away slowere all by itself!!  You need to help!  I got outside as much as possible which ment spending 2 months away from home in CA and FL because it was winter and I wanted to be where it was warm so I could get outside and walk and not worry about slipping on ice! Laying around and resting up was not for me--I had my cousin out walking me around the block twice a day, sometimes three times, very early on. I wanted that dizzy GONE!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

bell

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 12:30:58 pm »
I am adding a late reply, I am 12 weeks post op and I am still having mild complications.
I have done little by little but basically I have rested for 12 weeks, I go back to work in 2 weeks.
Walked 2 weeks by myself, drove 4 weeks, but probably shouldn't have.
I took naps for about 2 months.
Still take Tylenol once a day to help the mild pain and discomfort.
This has been long journey but we all get through it with flying colors.
The best of luck to you and plan to rest.                   Bell

Pembo

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 10:21:07 am »
Ernie, I learned after surgery that for every HOUR of anesthesia the body needs a WEEK to recover. For me that was 16 hours, so yes, for 4 months I was tired and napped almost daily. I agree with all here, you'll know what you can do. Even though I napped daily my family will tell you that I was becoming more active everyday. I wanted to do more, I was tired to laying around, and I got frustrated but my own limitations. You will learn great patience from this surgery. Stay strong........
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 12:43:12 pm »
I got frustrated but my own limitations. You will learn great patience from this surgery. Stay strong........

Great advice from Pembo.  Limitations post op can be very frustrating and in my case tended to put me in a bad mood  >:(  Patience is not a virtue I normally possess, but I found when I tried it, that it worked wonders.  Patience is key; try to make that a goal.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways