Author Topic: Update: Kim's Surgery (zinger1905)  (Read 6667 times)

suboo73

Update: Kim's Surgery (zinger1905)
« on: February 10, 2009, 04:25:00 am »
Hi everyone!  Here is the update from Kim's husband, in his own words:

Hello all,

I just wanted to pass you guys an update on Kim's big day. Overall, 
things went fairly well. Kim was in surgery from 7:30am-6:00pm. They 
were able to remove the tumor (which Kim had named Manny) completely 
and, while removing it, confirmed that he was benign. Unfortunately, 
the surgeons are not optimistic that hearing in Kim's left ear will be 
preserved, and there is some slight, temporary facial weakness on that 
side. However, neither comes as a surprise (though we were secretly 
hoping to somehow skip them). Kim is now in the ICU for the night 
where they'll be monitoring her over night. Both Dr. Kerry and Dr. 
Tamargo seemed to feel that the procedure went smoothly, and they will 
be continuing to monitor Kim over the coming days to ensure she gets a 
good start towards recovery. The hope is that she will be moved to a 
private room mid-day tomorrow, which she'll likely stay in through 
Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and support, which have 
certainly meant a lot to both Kim and I.

Phil
--------------------------
My thoughts and prayers are with you, Kim, and your family.
Kim --I know there is a recovery period now...  Be strong! 
Sounds like you have come thru surgery just fine!

Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Keeping Up

Re: Update: Kim's Surgery (zinger1905)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 05:49:22 am »
As soon as I logged on this morning, I thought we must be getting close to the date.  So happy it is over and hope the recovery is speedy.
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 06:30:03 am »
Sue - Thanks for posting Phil's update.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your wonderful update on Kim.  It sounds like things went well and hopefully Kim is resting comfortably (as possible).  I hope you are getting some rest too.  As I'm sure you know, the first few days are the hardest and things usually start getting better pretty quickly.  Please give Kim my best wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 06:54:40 am »
Sue,

thank you for sharing this update. Please forward to Phil my wellness wishes to Kim... and congrats for now being a "postie".... prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 10:01:44 am »
Good, good, she is out of the woods. Now rest and sleep. Take it easy.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 10:38:35 am »
Sue/Phil:

I think it's safe to state that we all appreciate the update on Kim and are pleased to learn that she's doing well, after a 10½ hour surgery to remove 'Manny' (the AN).

We'll pray that any facial weakness is strictly temporary and that Kim will soon be out of the ICU, out of the hospital and home to a speedy and complete recovery.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 11:56:51 am »
Thanks Phil - and Sue  ;D

Best wishes to Kim for a speedy recovery - hope to see her as a postie very soon.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

suboo73

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 12:15:09 pm »
Dear all,

I wasn't sure earlier, but Phil asked me to post the link to Kim's blog:

Phil said:  "...I'll be updating Kim's blog for her, so you can 
always look there for the latest news: http://adventureswithmanny.blogspot.com/  "

Take care.

Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 12:48:10 pm »
I read Kim's blog; it's quite good -- very concise, readable and well-written. Will look forward to her updates and I send best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 01:09:05 pm »
Wishing Kim continued healing, & a peaceful heart thru this journey.
Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

LADavid

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 11:26:08 am »
Thanks Sue for the great updates on Kim -- and especially including the link to her BLOG.  That really told the story of what this is all about.  Please give our best to Kim.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 12:45:58 pm »
FYI, Kim posted herself on her blog.  Sounds like she's doing fairly well under the circumstances..  If anyone's in contact with her give her our best, and remind her that neck pain after surgery is not uncommon and warm compresses and heating pads can help.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

wcrimi

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 09:26:07 am »
Best wishes for a speedy recovery! 
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 09:37:25 am »
Wishing you good luck throughout your recovery - and may it be a quick one!  As I'm learning, slowly but surely, patience patience patience.  Just one day at a time - and take it easy! 

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Keri

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 03:18:40 pm »
Hi Kim,

The blog is so informative - great idea. Glad you could actually write on it today. I was wondering if you were out yet. Looks like maybe tomorrow?
I'm so glad that it seems like your facial weakness has not seemed to be as much of a problem. But am sorry to hear about the questions in how to link your diabetes treatment with the AN treatment.

I agree with what you said about some of the seemingly 'little things' that are annoying. I was so sick of the IV things. They way they positioned them, they were always painful and so they'd change the arms / locations, and i finally got them out, but they still feel bruised. Getting much better though.
I was whisked off to MRI's and CT scans at all hours of the night (initially) because the thought I had a blood clot that bothered one of the docs. All seems well with that now.

I was also in ICU longer (almost my whole 6 day stay) because a room didn't open up. Every time i got up to go to the restroom (if there was a new nurse on duty) they would freak out because i was standing up and walking (slowly).

When I got out of the hospital, after a few days I started feeling better. So started overdoing a bit! Watch out for that!!!! Sometimes I get these headaches (incision site) where it feels like the filler 'fat' they put back in my head is just swelling up and really hurting. this has been one of the worst things to deal with.  That and the facial thing. Anyway, when i get one of those headaches, I have to take it easy, sometimes for hours!

I have been going on walks. One was by a creek by our house. Much muddier than i thought - it started getting dark - i realized - gee this is really stupid of me or maybe good practice for my balance! I had my whole family with me plus a walking stick at least.

Am regaining some facial movement on my left. When i would read people's posts about how this affects your eye closing, i just never realized what a pain that could be. doesn't hurt so much anymore (because i've been using a good lube) but it's hard to either not keep eye open, or it's blurry. As a result, i type in incomplete sentences that probably don't make much sense!

I'm glad you havne't had to do too much pain med either. I try to back off, but every once in a while take a percocet. then i feel a bit drunk into the next day. am trying to keep it to tylenol and advil.

Also, when you get out and start feeling better.... don't feel too bad if you have a couple of off days too in there. That happened to me last week and was so discouraging. but it seems to happen to many. I am getting way more rest that i've ever gotten, but can still do more than i thought i would be doing. (like back to doing laundry - yuck!)

On my sister's last night here (friday; she came to help out for a week), we decided to drive down to DC (silly us)! She's never drivien in DC, but i couldn't drive. we got a late start so didn't get down until 10:30pm! It was beautiful too see the memorials at night, and we climbed up to the Lincoln. Then i got us a bit lost on the way home (we almost hit a limo coming out of the capitol!) it was fun, but the 'killer' aspect was going to bed at midnight and having to get up at 4:30am to get her to dulles by 5:30! the rest of my day was shot and half of today! but i'm back to resting resting and am starting to feel normal-ish again.

sorry for all the rambling and advice (no night time hikes!!! no midnight visits to DC!!!)
I hope you're able to get out of the hospital soon and your feel progress everyday.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!