Author Topic: Newby from PA  (Read 4855 times)

rmeyer

Re: Newby from PA
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 04:27:22 pm »
Hi Newby from PA,  I am another Newby on this Forum (or andy Forum).  My AN made itself apparent on 9/13/08, deaf in right ear and loss of balance.  MRI confirmed AN and also discovered an aneurysm on left side of head.  The aneurysm has been repaired using the coil emobolization procedure "none invasive" and I am getting ready to do something about the AN.  I have had a consultation with Drs. Lim and Kleinberg at Johns Hopkins.  I have just about decided to go ahead with the Gamma Knife procedure.
Rest assured AN is not only for the young.  I am 78.
I will be interested to read about your JH consultation.
rmeyer

solady

Re: Newby from PA
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 05:48:48 pm »
In response to your question regarding JH Consult visits, I was very impressed with the neurosurgeon, Dr. Tamargo.  He was interested in questions that were  posed to him, as well as offered his opinion, which was radiation treatment.  Surprised that a surgeon would be recommending this procedure.  His answer pure and simple was less invasive and easier recovery time.  However, if I should choose to do surgery, he would recommend translab due to being less traumatic--less things to go wrong.(i.e.facial function, vestibular, etc.)  Age is not a factor as long as health is reasonable sound.  He did caution that one should not wait until symptoms become too advanced.  On the other side of the coin, the visit with Dr. Klineberg was rather iffy (this is my personal opinion).  Be prepared to have a long wait and to be seen by Klineberg's resident.  Since you think you want GM, he may be more in tune with you--believe this his bag.  I will PM you for further details.

All in all, it seems to be a W&W situation for now or until receive results from second MRI (having end of March) to determine if any change in growth, etc.  Also, I have follow-up appointment with Dr. Francis (ENT with JH) where we will discuss plans for treatment and assess his opinion.  As you can see, it is truly a crawl not run to reach final decision.  In holding pattern for now and may be until late in year.