Author Topic: Numb fingers? Visual Migraines  (Read 10647 times)

Keeping Up

Numb fingers? Visual Migraines
« on: February 15, 2009, 10:30:27 am »
Just going to ask - I don't think it is related to the AN ...

The fingers - pinkie, ring finger in particular - are numb on my left hand (AN side)  I have never had an injury on my left arm.  I was going to mention it to the ENT in November but decided it couldn't possibly be related and didn't want to announce too many of my more-than-likely anxiety related symptoms.  My shoulder and neck are now stiff - only on the one side.  I am wondering if I need a new pillow and a series of great massages.  But, just wondering if anyone has ever had any numb fingers on their AN side.  I know the numbness is real (no pain - just numb) and don't think it is related but would feel pretty silly if I found out it was somehow connected.

I can't even bring myself to go to the GP - said I would call if I started to take pain pills/headaches to manage the pain (which their is pratically none).  Of note, I also now get 'visual' migraines about once every two weeks - the lightning bolt is only ever on the left side.  (Got my eyes checked - they are just about perfect!)

Is this just my 'old' age at 37 years old?

Of note, took 2 of my kiddos bowling on Friday with 2 of their friends - I tied for the win with a four year old (yeah me!!!!) - and could barely walk to my baby's crib last night, my butt hurt so much and can't stand on one foot to put my pants on because of the 'strained' butt muscle.  I am tremendously out of shape and might just be falling apart all around!
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

sgerrard

Re: Numb fingers? Visual Migraines
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:45:21 pm »
I get visual migraines occasionally, maybe once every two months. I don't think visual migraines can be one sided. As it was explained to me, they occur in the visual cortex of your brain, and you only have one of those. They aren't related to ANs, other than by the usual stress and general health issues that connect everything together a little. I don't know about the numbness.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 12:52:32 pm »
Hi,
I had lots of migraines with visual thingies that I now can't remember the name for.  Scintillating something?  I haven't had any since surgery, though I have had minor headaches.  But, strangely, I had the same finger numbness on my AN side, never thought it was related, and maybe it isn't but that also has not recurred since surgery.
Strange.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 01:18:06 pm »
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 03:30:30 pm »
During my surgery, I developed a pressure bruise on my elbow that damaged the ulnar nerve.  The result was numbness (no pain) in my pinkie and ring finger.  Turns out, the other fingers have a different nerve running to them.  It's quite possible that something happened to give you a bruise in your funny bone area (even if you don't remember it happening) that has irritated that nerve. 

If it doesn't get any better (and these nerves can take a LONG time to heal) a neurologist should be able to give some insight.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

mk

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 08:40:55 pm »
Could it be that you are carrying one of the little ones mostly on the numb side?
It seems kind of silly but, I had the same "numbness" problem for a couple of weeks after my GK and I was freaking out. It turned out that my little one who was extra clingy after me being away for three days wanted me to carry him continuously, and I did so using my right arm.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 09:12:00 pm »
Hello there,

Sorry to hear about your numbness.  Some of the other posts already touched on the subject, but you should definitely bring it up to one of your docs.  Yes, the nerves that run to the fingers are different than the other parts of your arm, but ALL nerves controlling your arm and hand/fingers start up in your cervical spine (back of neck).  You have 7 vertebrae in your neck, all which protect spinal cord and nerves.  At each vertebrae, a different group of nerves comes off each side, the right sided nerves of the vertebrae controls your right arm, and the left side, your left arm. Something as simple as a little pressure or pinch on the nerves that control your finger sensation could be the cause of the numbness.  Different nerves affect different fingers, which is a reason why not all your fingers are numb.

This by no means suggests you have any problems with your nerves in your neck, just a possibility.  I am not a doctor, just a nurse.  I had swelling around my cervical spine after my AN surgery which sqooshed my nerves that control my right arm.  And, as we all know, being a parent alone is enough to throw out your back, or slip a disc/pinch a nerve.....

My suggestion is to tell a doctor.  The solution may be very simple.  Having fingers go numb is usually not something that just happens without reason.  A doctor can tell what is happening, whether it's  nerve related, Raynaud's syndrome (very common), or something else.

Good luck,
Amy
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

NE Farmwife

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 09:57:36 pm »
When I saw the ENT last fall to discuss my AN, my husband and I were introduced to a man in the waiting room who had his AN removed last summer.  He said that he had a very large AN and no other symptoms except that his fingers were going numb. That was his only presenting symptom.  I would assume that it was pushing on his brainstem but that is only my guess and I really don't know that much about anatomy. It is hard to think your fingers are numb because you have a brain tumor but that is the way his was. 
Diagnosed 11/11/2008   2.2 cm
CK at Stanford 01/12/2008
Facial numbness, hearing loss, lack of taste and tinnitis

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 09:45:07 am »

I'm no expert but I think it all depends which direction the tumour is growing there are so many nerves and connections around the area that it could be lightly pressing on one of the nerves that controlls the sensation to your arms and fingers etc... Like I said I'm no expert but it might be worth asking your doctors, at least that way you'll know for sure and if it isn't anything to do with the AN then, well.......your right........your just falling to bits! LOL  :D I think most of us are.

Cheryl XxX  :-*
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

Keeping Up

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 09:52:39 pm »
Thanks for everyone's input - some great suggestions.

A bit of googling (and I read this in November too) that the numb fingers is more than likely related to the ulnar nerve getting a bit compressed in the elbow.  The websites suggest sleeping with your elbow straight (websites also suggest you don't clench your teeth - easily said, not easily done) but also to be cautious of the way you hold the phone.  I still listen to the phone with my left ear (AN ear - with mild hearing loss) and know I don't hear well so just try and hold the phone tighter, and press it very tightly against my ear.  I will ask my IT team for a headset tomorrow - to be heard off my right ear - which should help with my calls and help my poor numb fingers.

I don't think this AN thing could be near the brainstem - good point though, I am sure with the CPA tumors or the very large tumors, it could easily affect the extremities.  Lucky me, I just have a tiny little AN, way way up in the IAC so physically don't think it could be happening.  I am not sure how I was thinking the AN could affect my fingers - but don't think it is plausible.

So, will take a few anti-inflamatories if required, sleep with a straight elbow if possible and get that headset!  I will stick to the idea that if pain becomes a component I will go see my GP.  I have a few free massages at work so will try that out too.  And, just maybe, I will get some exercise to slow the breakdown of this poor body of mine! 

Thanks again - sometimes, I just need to write it out to get it all to make sense in my head.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

NE Farmwife

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 09:38:47 am »
I have a terrible time with carpal tunnel, unrelated to my AN.  My hands fall asleep alot.  I have a terrible time talking on the phone for very long.  I have really noticed it when I talk for very long.  I used to be able to switch ears and therefore my hands as well.  Now I hear better out of my non AN ear and if the conversation is very long at all my hands fall asleep.  I find it is awkward to hold the phone to my right ear with my left hand but when the right hand is completely numb, it is the only choice or I have to hang up.  The one thing that I find difficult to do is to take a message when I am on the phone.  I am right handed and hear best out of my right ear so when I want to take a message I have to used my left hand to hold the phone to my right ear and then write the message with my right hand and the paper tends to move around on me. 

I also have a terrible time at night in bed.  I try to sleep with my arms as straight as possible and I use an extra pillow to help hold them straighter and prop up the arm on top if I am on my side. I have a wrist brace for one of my arms which I use if I have done something that really works my arms that day.  I have thought about having carpal tunnel surgery but I have really gotten up the courage to do it yet.  Since I had CK about a month ago, maybe this would be a good year to have it done since I already have all of these medical bills anyway.
Diagnosed 11/11/2008   2.2 cm
CK at Stanford 01/12/2008
Facial numbness, hearing loss, lack of taste and tinnitis

GRACE1

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 11:54:09 am »
When you say "visual migraines," what exactly do you mean?  I have migraines with auras, but no pain.  When I was diagnosed with these in 1991, I also had bad nausea.  I was told I was having incomplete migraines.  Are they the same thing as visual migraines?  I believe they were related to my AN.  They used to put me down for about 24 hours; the nausea was so bad.  Since my GK, I don't get them very often.  When I do, there is no nausea and they onlyl last a very short time.  Thank goodness they don;t take me out of commission any more.  Has anyone else had these?

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

microsoftfree

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 05:23:41 am »
I am yet to have a positive diagnosis for AN, so just here with info about your fingers and I am no doctor.

I had what you are describing and it was cubital tunnel syndrome...others are correct about the possibility of the ulnar nerve. If you have it and want to PM me, will be happy to share my experience with you. I had to have surgery after a year of putting it off, but since then have had no problems at all. I had the surgery done by an orthopedic man because of his vast experience treating pro athletes with it. Here's a link that may help you. http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/hw007.htm

joebloggs

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 06:15:14 am »
Don't know if this will help, but one of my first symptoms that lead to my diagnosis was I woke up one morning numb on my right side (AN side).  Face, body, hands, all the way down the right side.  It wasn't all over, it was patchy, but it was quite full on.  Once I finally was diagnosed (it took a while... the doctors were very confused re the numbness) they said the facial numbness was explained by the tumour stretching my facial nerve and the only thing they could think of was that the tumour had grown fast all of a sudden - there was a cyst inside it - and had 'bounced' against the brain stem causing the rest of my body to go numb.  Although it's a bit of a sketchy explanation, that's all they could think of.  The body numbness went away after about a week, but the facial numbness lasted until my surgery.

I don't think that sounds like what you have going on, but it's another weird AN numbness thing I guess?!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Vivian B.

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 04:31:38 pm »
Hi there,

I would make an appt.with ENT to report the numbness just to be on the safe side. I have had migraines literally inside of my right eye of the ear affected for quite awhile, always thought it was sinus pressure. I reported it to the neurosurgeon which didn't make much of it. I agree that there are so many cranial nerves that when something is sitting on any of them, it is bound to cause symptoms of some sort. My neuro. did tell me that if any new symptoms or if current symptoms worsen to report it to him. You don't lose anything by making an appt. Good luck.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.