Author Topic: Swelling?  (Read 1876 times)

Greg M

• Not all who wander are lost...
Swelling?
« on: February 17, 2009, 07:56:32 pm »
Does the swelling of the AN eventually go down after CK, GK? I have read several things, it swells, it stays the same, it shrinks? Gee wiss does AN's do everything???!!! Greg
diagnosed 1-9-09 1.3cm LF side AN
some tinnitus, high frequency hearing loss
GK 6-17-09 @ GK center of Portland
Dr.Bader & Dr.Wayson
Time will tell......

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
Re: Swelling?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 11:36:56 pm »
mine went down in a month or two. the site where they took the fat from my tummy took about 4 months but you can barely see a scar there now. same on my head behind my ear. it goes away..........
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 12:09:34 am »
Gee wiss does AN's do everything???!!!

Yes they do. :)

Seriously, ANs are notoriously fickle, and each one decides on its own course of action. Like the famous box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. Some ANs will swell up larger after radiation treatment, but most of those go back down to the original size within a few years. The main thing is whether they stop growing.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 12:43:08 am by sgerrard »
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

macintosh

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 01:39:12 am »
Swelling is pretty common, but as Steve say, it's almost always transient. Here's some info from an abstract from an article in Neurosurgery: February 2006. The primary author is BE Pollock:

<Tumor expansion after VS radiosurgery rarely denotes a failed procedure, and the majority of patients only require further imaging. Approximately one third of tumors that enlarge will remain increased in size compared with the time of radiosurgery but will not show sequential growth. Additional tumor treatment should be reserved only for patients who demonstrate progressive tumor enlargement on serial imaging (2% in this series). >

Mac

vjgfamily

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 03:05:51 pm »
After surgery, the ear on my AN side stuck out further than the other one.  The doctor said it was intentional, because over time, the ear would recede back into my head.  He was right.  If anything, now the AN ear is sunken in more than the other...only noticable to me, tho.

Verl
AN Surgery in 1988 by Jack L. Pulec in LA.  Loss of hearing in right ear.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 04:17:51 pm »
Veri:  My AN ear is still sticking out (I call it my 'elephant' ear) - it's been over 2 1/2 years since surgery for me.   How long before your ear went back to normal position ?
Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

vjgfamily

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 09:45:15 am »
Nancy, I think it was so gradual that I really didn't notice the ear sinking back into place (actually, it's sunken a bit more than the good ear by now).  I bet you'll see that it has sunken a bit more a year from now.

Did you have belly fat put in the hole in your head?  That's the substance that shrinks over time, pulling the ear in.

You can hide it pretty well with your long hair, I bet.  I did a little of that covering up with longer hair for the first couple of years.

Peace,
Verl

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 10:28:31 am »
Hi Veri:  Thanks for replying.    I don't think they used fat( I didn't have sutures anywhere but at the surgical site), I know they used Titanium plates, mesh, screws.    My ear hasn't moved back to its normal place at all yet.   How long post op were you before you started noticing a change in ear placement ?  ( I have cut my hair short, but am growing it back again to hide the ear bulge).
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

vjgfamily

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 10:33:05 am »
Nancy, it was well over a year before I noticed any movement of the ear, and it was probably 3 years later that it appeared fairly normal.  Now, it's almost the same, but the AN ear is a bit more recessed (only noticable by me).

But, it sounds like you don't have a hole in your skull (mine's directly above where my ear connects to my head).  That's where they layered my belly fat to seal the opening.  They actually had to do it twice, because the first one sprung a leak.  Fortunately, I had plenty of belly fat left over...although I wouldn't have minded another fat-mining expedition.

I can't say for sure if yours will recede, due to the absence of a hole in your skull...but that's a good thing.

Peace,
Verl

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 11:02:59 am »
Hi Verl: I don't remember a 'hole' in my skull,  I had retrosigmoid (aka suboccipital), so I just have that long suture line.   Well, it looks like I'll be stuck with the elephant ear - oh well, no biggie, I'll just grow my hair to cover it ! !
Thanks for the info.  Always good thoughts,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

vjgfamily

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 11:10:45 am »
Nancy, I'm sure it's a lot more noticable to you than to others.  Hopefully, in time, it will recess a bit.  I pray this is the worst of your worries!

Peace,
Verl