Author Topic: 4 weeks post op with many questions  (Read 4074 times)

Hexe

• New to this
4 weeks post op with many questions
« on: February 28, 2009, 09:05:06 pm »
I find I think of more and more questions as time goes on.
(I also forget many things as well).
   First, I feel very lucky to have received the good care I did.
My tumor was small and my doctor told me he got everything out.
  I am totally deaf on my left side, balance is still not much better, dizziness is only when I stand up or turn around quickly.         
  I now have tintinitis  when I stretch (sounds like a michine running; loud humming sound but stops when I relax).
Still tire easilly.
 Is this all pretty common?
  Does anyone know when I can color  my hair again, and if so, with which products?
  I am not overly hungry, but everything I eat tastes very good!
  I forget many simple words and know that I know them but can't recall them.
  Does anyone have anyexperince with bi-cros?
I have two hearing aides (one of which is usless, of course). Can it be changed to a bi-cros machine?
What do bi-cros machines cost?
  Can anyone explain just what, exactly happens during the operation? 
I had a trans-lab procedure.
  I have double vision, with left eye weaker than the right, left eye looking higher than the right.
This is a great place to visit, looking forward to your replies.
Hexe

Hexe
Trans-lab 4 weeks ago. Ann Arbor MI, Dr Steven Telion. SSD, continued tiredness, problems with balance, dizziness, memory, double vision. Consider myself lucky my symptoms are few and not too disabling.

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: 4 weeks post op with many questions
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 06:00:49 am »
Hi Hexe:  sounds like you're progressing nicely to me.   I can't help with the hair dye or hearing aids...
Continued healing my friend,  Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 06:02:10 am »
Hexe,
I can't help you much with all of your questions, I didn't have any dizziness, but with balance you can have slight problems for months.  Four weeks after surgery I thought I had no balance problems until the Dr told me to close my eyes and put my arms out in front of me,  I almost feel over.  Tinnitus was also much louder after surgery and is still 18 months later.  I  have 50% hearing loss in AN side.  I had some double vision AN side for 2 months and then I had to get new reading glasses and the double vision went away pretty fast.  I've never colored my hair so I'm also no help there.  Forgetting words also lasted for a few months, but I think it was more because I was always so tired.  It sounds like you are recovering normally, and I'm sure you will get alot of help with your questions here.

I have to ask, do you know what Hexe means in german?

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 08:24:36 am »
Hi Hexe,

Congratulations --it sounds like you are having a wonderful recovery.  Fatigue is very normal at this stage, tinnitus may or may not get better that's kind of tricky, dizzyness and imbalance will probably improve with time.  Are you going for physical therapy and/or doing vestibular exercises?   This would help with your balance issues.  Double vision should also improve with time.  As for coloring your hair, I would check with your doc, but most will tell you to wait at least eight weeks.  I can't help you with regard to bi-cross, but I'm sure someone else will be able to provide that information.

Best wishes for continued good healing,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 08:26:53 am »
Hhhhmmm, now I'm very curious.  Just what does "Hexe" mean in German, Dan?

As for the hair dye, once your head has healed sufficiently Hexe it's a go.  The definition of sufficiently should come from your doctor.  Everyone heals at a different pace; he/she should have the final word.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 08:33:05 am »
Jan,

Hexe in german means "witch", which I'm sure Hexe isn't.

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Hexe

• New to this
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 09:55:19 am »
Good morning everyone.
thanks to all who have responded.
This is a great site!
It feels so good to know there are others out there who have had similar experiences to mine.
I think I will contact my local doc and request PT. That way I will have to go and be more motivated to learn and do balance exercises.
My doube vision is worse when I am tired and mostly distance, watching TV.
Reading doesn't seem to be much of a bother until I get really tired.
This next one for Dan: Ja, natuerlich weiss ich was Hexe bedeutet in Deutsch! Aber, sagt es keinen anderan!
I wrote: of course, I know what Hexe means, but don't tell anyone else.  My spelling is not so great and probably worse since my operation. But I try. Seven years ago I adopted a cute little black, female puppy from the pound and named her Hexe. Several years later I got my computer and use 'Hexe' often as my ID on line.
I lived in Germany for 25 years before returning here. and now  live in the frozen wilds of northern Michigan.
Again, thaks for all you replyies,
Hexe
Hexe
Trans-lab 4 weeks ago. Ann Arbor MI, Dr Steven Telion. SSD, continued tiredness, problems with balance, dizziness, memory, double vision. Consider myself lucky my symptoms are few and not too disabling.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 11:27:27 am »
Guten Morgen und Wilkommen, Hexe!
In vier Wochen, werden Sie normalerweise voran, denke ich. (In four weeks, it seems to me you are doing well.)

My doctor said 8 weeks before I could color my hair, although there were many differing opinions on this site.  My tinnitus was terrible but settled down after a while, hopefully yours will as well.  When in doubt, call the docs!

Sorgen Sie für sich selbst betrachtet, (take good care of yourself)
Marci

3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

salamander

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 02:08:39 pm »
I was told to wait 3 months before coloring my hair.

Samantha
2.9 cm right side AN;
Retrosigmoid/Sub-occipital surgery 11/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus), facial weakness, dry eye, eye weight, headaches.
Some movement of face at 7 months

Hexe

• New to this
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 02:20:03 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. Hate the idea of having to wait 3 months, but it is sure a little problem compaired to averything else that could go wrong, be difficult, etc.
Now I have anothter question. I would like to work out, preferable a "Curves". Anyone know if this is possible, with modifications, or not at all?
Hexe

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 02:27:49 pm »
Hexe~
Remind me again how far out you are from surgery?  That would have a HUGE impact on what you do.  Have you been released from your Dr. to lift?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Hexe

• New to this
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 02:52:49 pm »
I'm about 4-5 weeks out. I don't remembering my doctor saying anything about releasing me from anything or allowing me to lift... Guess I should call him...
Hexe

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 02:56:05 pm »
I think that would be the best...specifically ask if you can do weights and resistance...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 03:11:04 pm »
I started running a bit at four weeks, preceded by walking and run/walking at 2 weeks.  I didn't lift anything though, but I'm all for getting moving.  I'm pretty sure it helped me to recover at a brisk pace.  (no pun)  ;D
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 11:38:17 am »
Hi again Hexe,

I noticed when I looked at your post again you were curious about what happens during surgery.  I discussed this with one of my docs and to the best of my recollection,  this is a pretty accurate description of the surgery.  After your head is shaved and cleaned with Betadine, an incision is made behind your ear.  The mastoid bone and muscles around it are exposed and the mastoid bone is drilled away.  This exposes the semisurcular canals, venous sinus and dura  (the dura covers the brain)  and cerbral spinal fluid.  The semicurcular canals are removed (drilled away I think) to expose teh internal auditory canal. The dura is opened and the tumor is exposed.  The trigeminal nerve is retracted  and the tumor capsule is opened. The inside of the tumor is  removed and the capsule collapses and is then dissected from the nerve.  The vestibular nerve is removed.  Fat is harvasted from the abdomen and used the fill the cavilty that's been created by the surgery which helps prevent CSF leaks.  The surgical site is closed following the mediculous steps iin reverse.  A scar is born!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!