Author Topic: The injections didn't knock out my balance!!  (Read 1215 times)

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
The injections didn't knock out my balance!!
« on: March 02, 2009, 05:32:24 pm »
Hi,
I've been to my ENT today and gues what - in spite of three injections in my AN ear the balance nerve isn't knocked out anyway!! I still have 40% left, but he decided that we have to go through surgery anyway. That means that I'll get dizzy after surgery.   :-[ I was so disappointed when I went home, I couldn't believe this could happen. I thought that the injections always knocked out the balance nerve, but I was told that they only do that in 2/3 of the cases. Anyway, I really hope I'll cope. Many of you folks have, without any injections. I guess I have to start doing my balance exercisesd AGAIN!  :-\

Now I have to wait for a date for surgery, I hope it won't be long, but sometimes I don't want to know the date. I will be a basked case every second until surgery!  :(

Best wishes and hugs,

from Helene in Sweden
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

wendysig

Re: The injections didn't knock out my balance!!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 06:21:54 pm »
Helene,

Sorry to hear the injections didn't take care of your balance nerve.  It does mean more imbalance after surgery but you have a positive outlook and I'm sure you'll work hard at getting better.  I hope you get your date soon -- I know the waiting can be nerve wracking.  In the meantime, try to keep yourself distracted and busy so you don't agonize over this too much. 

Hang tough,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 12:16:36 pm »
Bummer that the injections didn't work as planned, but I think you can take heart knowing that your body will compensate just fine after surgery.  I have very few balance problems and never really did after surgery.  Was it a case that my body had already compensated prior to surgery?  I don't know, but rest easy knowing that your balance will work itself out after surgery just fine.  The brain is an amazingly resilient organ..

FYI, I never did any balance exercises before surgery and even went camping the weekend before my Thursday morning surgery.

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 03:18:25 pm »
Hej, Helene ~

I'm sorry but sort of impressed to learn that after 3 injections, your hardy balance nerve survives.  Even so, most AN surgery patients regain their equilibrium post-surgery with some effort, but usually nothing too demanding.  It does take a bit of time for some, but balance is usually recovered.  I consider my balance to be about 85% of what it once was.  I'm fine in almost any situation but if I trip or stumble, I cannot regain my equilibrium as quickly as I once did.  I also have a little trouble walking backwards, down a flight of stairs.  Fortunately, I have few, if any, occasions to walk backwards down a flight of stairs - so this is hardly a problem.  :)

Seriously, despite your concerns, I 'm confident that, like most AN patients, you'll be able to regain your sense of balance fairly quickly, post-op. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 03:38:39 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for your supporting words! I also think that my balance nerve isn't the end of the world. My brain just have to adjust and I believe it will.  :)

Hugs from Helene
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK