Author Topic: ANers Mind Exercises  (Read 3397 times)

anissa

• My Journey
ANers Mind Exercises
« on: March 03, 2009, 09:58:19 am »
I was reading in another thread about mind exercises '...moderator "hat"' and am wondering what you all are doing to stay sharp post-surgery.  I saw:

knitting/crocheting
sudoku/crossword puzzles
Wii?

Tell me more!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Keri

Re: ANers Mind Exercises
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:45:21 am »
Hi,
I'm 4 1/2 weeks post op. I'm not a quick or fast runner, but have run regularly for years. I ran right up until the day of my surgery (almost). I'm so glad I did. I think that really helped me with my balance issues (had translab). They were surprised I wasn't having more balance problems ( I just feel kind of tipsy sometimes, but not any 'the room is spinning and i feel sick' problems).  If you walk or exercise or run or anything like that, my advice would be to keep it up. Then it helps in recovery too. There have been some days (post) that I feel awful (headaches mostly). If I get outside and just go for a walk, i feel so much better. That's probably a fresh air thing as well.

I guess this doesn't really answer your question about keeping your mind sharp! One thing about some computer games or crosswords, stuff like that, if you're having headaches (and some do, not everyone), some of that may be difficult at first. I know when I'm on the computer too much (this is getting better), I may be more prone to headachesl. But, if you are doing something you enjoy anyway, it's probably going to be helpful, especially if it relaxes you. Those headaches that I get sometimes are much more likely to come if I'm tense and tired.

I wish you well! Keep us posted. Your question was interesting... would be interested in hearing other's thoughts.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:47:46 am »
It's sudoku for me.  I do my puzzles at http://www.websudoku.com/ because it keeps track of my average time.  I will know if and when my mind is back to normal :).

Right now I do medium puzzles, but I have average times for easy too, since I think I'll be starting there after surgery :)

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 11:16:29 am »
My husband and I are big fans of the tv quiz show "Jeopardy!" and I made him promise to come up with a few Jeopardy-type questions to ask me as soon as I got out of surgery to make sure my brain was still functioning! He says that he did and that I gave the right answers ... but I don't remember a thing!

We attended a live taping of the Jeopardy teen tournament finals about six days after my surgery (one of my post-surgery goals that I was thrilled to have been able to accomplish!); the pre-taping announcer said that they know everyone shouts out the answers when they're watching at home and we would really have to concentrate on not doing that while we were in the audience. I was terrified that in my post-surgical haze I would start calling out the answers ... but I didn't have to worry -- I was hardly able to keep up with the teens as they zipped through the boards.  So Jeopardy, crossword puzzles and reading all helped with my mental concentration and acuity after surgery.

Best wishes on your AN journey!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 11:49:16 am »
JerseyGirl2 - That is so funny about not calling out the answers!  I like Jeopardy too. 

EJTampa - I'll have to get a new Sudoku puzzle book, maybe I'll find one in large print.  I also enjoy the mediums but good advice on starting on the easy again.  Best wishes on your surgery and recovery.  I look forward to hearing how well it all goes. 

Keri - I love the fresh air but don't get out nearly enough.  Now that the weather is getting nicer I'll make a point to get outside more with the kids.  We'll all need it by then!  I would love to be able to use my computer, I am seriously attached to it, we'll see how that goes. 
Anissa
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 12:01:20 pm »
If you read my story on my blog, you'd know that I didn't want to do anything except watch tv and sleep post-surgery.  The only thing that stretched my mind at all that I did was coming to this forum.  What can you take from that?  Just that you should listen to your body and do whatever you can post-surgery.  You may, in fact, not want to do anything for awhile.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 03:36:28 pm »
I have been trying to think what I have done with trying to keep going mentally post op.  I have always been back to the computer immediately once home from the surgeries which has been X 4.
 I guess my other would be Wheel of Fortune as I am the biggest nut there is to always watch it.
They were in Des Moines once at a mall and I went but so did so many others and I never made it up on their stage.   
                                            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

kenneth_k

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 02:04:08 pm »
Hi Anissa.

The first couple of weeks after surgery I spent reading and fooling around with Wii besides doing the balance exercises and facial training exercises.

Later on it was Microsoft Flight Simulator, which can be quite challenging. And walking and running outside.

Now I'm back to work and really haven't got any need for further mental challenges.

I think the most important thing is to do something you find interesting ;)

Regards, Kenneth

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 02:17:24 pm »
After my GK treatment, I felt I was doing good to remember my name and address!!  ;)

Immediately after treatment I just stared off into space.  I couldn't read or concentrate on anything. It was weird.  I'm not that big of a puzzle fan so I don't do those, but I like Jeopardy, and I read a lot. 

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 04:30:01 pm »
Anissa ~

I have to admit that I didn't really experience any noticeable cognitive deficits post-op.  However, like you, I'm 'attached' to my computer and between posting (often lengthy) messages here and on other websites I visit regularly, it keeps my mind pretty active.  I was posting here the day I arrived home from the hospital, a brief 5 days after my surgery, and I've never looked back.  I also read a lot, mostly non-fiction, including newspapers.  Immediately post-op, I did a lot of walking at a local park, usually two miles a day, to help me regain my balance.  My wife accompanied me and because it was summer, we had an enjoyable time.  As winter set in, we abandoned our walks and, unfortunately, we didn't resume them the next year.  I found that simply doing the things I used to do required a bit more effort, mental and physical, and that served to keep my mind 'sharp'. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 04:46:40 pm »
Thanks for all your comments & suggestions!  I am such a "busy" person that I hardly have time to sit and even when I sit I'm doing something whether its knitting/crocheting or surfing on my computer.  I am sure I'll be back online soon after my surgery.  Fortunately spring is coming and shortly after my surgery the weather should start looking up and we can all spend more time outside.   

As a side note, I think my subconscious is trying to figure out how my surgery and recovery is going to go even though there's no way to do that.  I am no good without a detailed plan of action and this situation being so out of my control is maddening.   Let God...let God... 
Anissa

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 05:07:54 pm »
Anissa,

If it's ONE thing that you will learn (and those around you close will learn also) is patience.  You will learn that you have no control over many aspects of your recovery.  I kinda think it's God MAKING us understand that we have to slow down and give up some fictional control that we think we have over our lives.  It can be a bumpy ride at times, but you'll get through it.  Like you I wanted a somewhat detailed plan of recovery, milestones, due dates, etc...  Like I've heard before, a great plan is great up until the time it's put into action.  That's true here..  You may come up with a detailed plan of recovery and post-surgery milestones, due dates, etc... But, your body is not on your time.  Relax and enjoy the ride.  ;)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 09:36:31 pm »
I'm about 6 1/2 months post op now. I think the biggest things that I have noticed that helped me get the old noggin back to normal was programming (I was a web developer in my last job) and going back to work - I'm a sr. internet analyst for our company's website (big company, big website). Both things require a lot of thinking.

When i first went back to work I noticed that it took me a bit longer to remember stuff. I fgured it was partially from being gone for 2 1/2 months (2 months leave and 2 weeks vacation before that) and partially from the surgery. I've just recently felt like I'm back up to speed.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 09:50:34 pm »
Anissa~
I don't really remember doing anything specific to keep my mind "sharp" after surgery.  Since I had a stroke and my recovery was SO different because of that, I just remember justifying EVERYTHING (purchases!) as "It be such good therapy for me!"  Most of that were things I DID - ex. Creative Memories Scrapbooking was just starting then - I have a TON of stuff that I got b/c that would be "good therapy" for me!!

This is not regarding activities to keep your mind sharp, but I will tell you what my Dr. told me: "The more you do, the better you will feel and the quicker you will feel able to do it..."  I think those words were worth a million bucks to my recovery (& my outlook today).  I definitely am a big believer in listening to your body and STOPPING (& resting) when you need to, but I can tell you that it SEEMS (at least on this board) that the people that get up and get moving - whether they have to go back to work (my case), have small children that need tending to or just don't want to sit around for the rest of their lives (infections don't count - those can't be helped!) - don't complain as much and seem to not have as much trouble getting back in the swing of things.  I don't see you as having in trouble with this as you seem like a "go-getter" - my goodness, you have all those kiddies to run after!!  Just my observation...

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 10:10:24 pm »
That is me, for sure.  I will probably elect to stay in the hospital as long as I can before coming home because of the kiddos, it will be hard to rest once home.  I will have a lot of help here, it will just be difficult because I'm used to going all the time.  It sounds like just slowly trying to resume life pre-surgery is the best way to recovery.  Thats my plan and I'm sticking to it ;) 
Anissa