Author Topic: Newbie going to House Ear Clinic  (Read 3507 times)

pamk

Re: Newbie going to House Ear Clinic
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 06:31:14 pm »
Thanks everyone for the support, I feel a little disappointed in myself that I let the blues creep in more than I should.  I am thankful for so much, but I start back to work in a few weeks and am feeling a little anxious about that.  my close friends tell me I look great and that they can't tell I am having balance issues at all.  But that is what friends are for right?
any advice for returning to work?  I am thinking I should gather all of my staff together and let them see that I am still me or should I just go in and not make a big deal of it?
2.1 cm AN
Translab at House/St Vincent March 09.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Newbie going to House Ear Clinic
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 09:37:39 pm »
Pam -

my best advice is to return part-time for a week or two if you can.  Then if that goes well, return full-time.  That's what I did and I found it helped tremendously.

As for your staff, you don't really have to prove anything to them, but it wouldn't hurt to explain some of the "new" things about yourself if you feel comfortable with that.

I remember telling my staff that I was SSD so if I didn't respond to a question, or gave them an answer that just didn't make sense, it pretty much meant that I didn't really hear what they had asked me  ::)

I also mentioned that my balance was still adjusting, so that while I was a little "wobbly" it wasn't a major concern nor was it cause for alarm.

I think that I - and all of my staff - felt more comfortable with me addressing the issues rather than just ignoring them.  But what you choose to do might depend on the type of relationships you have with your staff members.  Just go with your gut.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways