Author Topic: Looking for doctors in NYC  (Read 7614 times)

LBM

Looking for doctors in NYC
« on: April 13, 2005, 09:29:01 am »
I am a 30 year old female recently diagnosed with a 3 cm acoustic neuroma with only 3 mm extention into the internal auditory canal. I have had two consultations in Manhattan with two different opionons. One said he works with a neuro-otologist and the other said he works alone since the tumor is pressing on the pons. I am looking for someone who can provide information about the best doctors in Manhattan.
Thank you.

russ

Re: Looking for doctors in NYC
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 08:50:26 pm »
Hi
  Maybe you caught this on this impossibly confusing forum?
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=89.0
  Best wishes!   -Russ

jmart

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 12:38:17 pm »
Hi

I have recently been diagnosed with a medium sized acoustic neuroma.  I am trying to decide between different doctors in NYC.  Dr. Selesnick, Dr. Gutin, and Dr. Stieg are all with Weill Cornell/NY Presbyterian.  And, Dr. Chandrasekhar and Dr. Post are affiliated with Mount Sinai.

Does anyone have any information relating to these doctors?

Thank you.

luvmydogs53

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 02:29:02 pm »
I am new to this whloe nightmare however having only seen an ENT so far I was told the Dr Selesnick is the top man. I have an appt on 11-4 and have to pay cash. He dose not take my insurance. I want him to direct me to someone in my plan. He has a website http://nycornell.org/ent/selesnick/ Please let me know who you decide to use. Thanks

tgentile

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 03:34:47 pm »
I met with both Dr. Selesnick and Dr. Post. I decided to go with Dr. Post, although Dr. Selesnick is also highly recommended. You cannot go wrong with either one although each situation is different.

It is important to seek out info on their teams as well. That played a part in my choice with going with Dr. Post for my procedure.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

jaj

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 01:01:56 pm »
I've met with Doctors Gutin, Stieg, Selesnick and Post regarding a 3.3 cm AN (I am 57) - and I am at a loss as to how to decide on a doctor.  If you have visited or used any of these doctors, I'd appreciate knowing about your experience: how did you decide who to use? would you recommend him?  Several of these doctors work with a team, another does not. Several of the doctors say there is someone in the OR who does continuous facial nerve monitoring...another says he doesn't do this because his instruments do the monitoring.  (Thankfully they all agree that surgery is necessary and the type of surgery to do!) Any information you can provide will be very much appreciated.

tryston

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 11:17:17 am »
Hello All, I was diagnosed last week with an AN on left side and I'm starting to culminate info on surgeons; who to consult with, etc. The site has been extremely informative. Looks like Gutin, Steig/Selesnick, and Post are the NYC guys, but my ENT referred me to the NY Eye & Ear Infirmary: namely Linstrom and Alexiades. Alexiades happens to accept my insurance (Oxford) which is nice. Anyone happen to have met with or heard anything on these two?  Thanks!
37 yrs old
8 - 10mm AN in left IAC removed 9/12/06
Middle Fossa
Drs. Brackmann & Hitselberger, HEC

mlwitte

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 12:01:26 pm »
Sounds like you are doing all the right stuff. I am on the West Coast and had my surgery done by Dr Robert Jackler at Stanford. Also consulted with Dr Brackmann and The House Ear Clinic. Go to the best you can get and some one with at least 500 plus surgeries. Jackler is a leader in the feild and publishes for medical books.

Many people believe - you go to where the doc is on this type of care. You have time as these things grow slow. Mine was 7mm when disovered.

All the best. Life is full of curve balls and this is just one of them.

Marcus  :D
Marcus  :-)
We all fall down. God helps us get back up.
Life is a process consider all your options and live each day.
Like Winston Churchill, "Never ever surrender"
AN 7mm disagnosed 3/16/05 left ear, Surgery - Stanford 7/13 - Dr Jackler and Dr Harsh - total hearing loss in left ear

tryston

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 06:34:39 pm »
Thank you mlwitte. I made an appt with Jackler for June. His office is so efficient!  Still looking for feedback on NY Eye & Ear Infirmary doctors.......
37 yrs old
8 - 10mm AN in left IAC removed 9/12/06
Middle Fossa
Drs. Brackmann & Hitselberger, HEC

Mark

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 11:18:58 pm »
Tryston,

I  would echo Marcus's comments about Jackler. I was strongly considering him for surgery before i opted to go with CK. He was at UCSF at the time, but I found him to be both very easy to talk with and very expereinced with AN's. I know he frequently works with Dr. Chang who was my neurosurgeon at Stanford. I would not hesitate to use him for AN surgery and feel good about a successful outcome.

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001