Author Topic: Recently diagnosed and a little (alot) scared  (Read 3057 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Recently diagnosed and a little (alot) scared
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 10:23:35 am »
[HIJACK ALERT]

Vivian,

Some members have stayed busy, others have dived into research, while others still have been put on anti-anxiety medication until they're surgery.  If this has been a problem for you that you can't seem to shake, talk to your doctor about possible options you have.  Make sure that your surgeon knows anything that you may be on (medication wise) because it may affect surgery.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 11:46:20 am »
[HIJACK ALERT]

duly noted, my Pooter!   ;)  :-*

Hi Laura and welcome. Not much more I can add as BNI is one of the best spots to have AN treatments (surgical and radio).... I have one question..... they dr's are noting that by leaving residual that they would follow up with one-shot GK?  Did they explain why 1 shot vs. fractionated (multiple doses/days)?   did I read that correcly in your post or please correct me if I am wrong.  I know of some that had their AN's "debulked" and follow up with FSR (Jim Scott is a terrific example)... but I, personally, have not heard of someone having GK after partial AN removal... only curious, nothing more.

Welcome to the site... the drinks are watered down but the support is overwhelming (as you can see). We're all here to help! Hang in there!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

vjgfamily

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 12:04:50 pm »
Laura,

It's scary to come out of the "fog", post-surgery, with loss of hearing, facial numbness, double-vision (in my case), head noise, and/or dizziness.  No doubt about that.  You may have any combination of these symptoms.  But remember, things WILL improve over time...I promise. 
AN Surgery in 1988 by Jack L. Pulec in LA.  Loss of hearing in right ear.

Vivian B.

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 12:39:15 pm »
Hi Brian,

Thanks for replying. I have been taking .5 Ativan that I was suppose to take prior to the MRI and find that it kind of calms me down a little bit. My family Dr. prescribed it.  But I will definitely talk to the surgeon tomorrow to see what else I can take. Do they give you something the night before the surgery to calm you down? I figure that even if the Dr. says to wait for surgery, eventually It will have to be done, so better to get it over with before it starts affecting other nerves. What do you think?

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 02:31:12 pm »
Vivian,

I wasn't given anything prior to surgery, nor have I heard of anyone specifically taking something the day/night before surgery.  However, it was pretty fast in the morning when they get you dressed for surgery and then put an IV in you.. After that, the anesiologist gave me "something to calm me down"..  Let's just say that I don't remember a thing about from after about 5 minutes from getting whatever it was and the next day when wheeled to my private room (don't remember ICU at all and was moved from ICU to my private room about 8pm the next day).  Whatever it was they gave me REALLY had me looped out.

It's normal to get nervous as the day approaches and more so the night before.  Force them butterflies to fly in formation tho!

Only you and your doctor can decide if now is better than waiting.  It's a very personal decision.  My gut tells me that if you're this anxious over the thing now, then sooner is better than later...  I'm not a doctor, don't play one on TV and I don't have the expertise to judge that, however.  I can only go by what you've said here.  Nothing about what I've said should be construed as medical advice.  :)

Regards,
Brian
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 02:33:58 pm by Pooter »
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Vivian B.

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 03:22:01 pm »
Hi Brian,

Thanks a lot for your input. This helps!

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 05:22:38 pm »
Vivian,
As I mentioned somewhere in this thread, I was on anti-anxiety medication until surgery.  The doctor said it was ok take one the morning of my surgery, which I did.  It helped enormously as I think I would have been levitating until they put me under.  You might want to ask about that.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

mk

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 07:18:54 pm »
Vivian,

first of all, with an AN your size you don't need to rush into anything. Remember that treatment can (and most certainly will) cause more problems than what you are currently having. It is obvious that you are battling with anxiety right now, so it is good to take some time to digest all this and do your research. If you can find medications that can ease this anxiety in the meantime, this would be great.
If you do feel that "you want it out right away", then make sure you find the right doctor, with a lot of experience, who you are confortable with. This is *very* important, because not all neurosurgeons are experienced with ANs. The neurosurgeon who I saw first gave me wrong information on many things (as I discovered later). Completing the consultation/referral process may take some time in Canada, but it will be time worth spending.

Let us know how your viisit with the surgeon went.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

calimama

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 07:38:24 pm »
Hi Laura...

Sorry you got this shocking news... it really is kind of surreal. I will never forget finding out... hearing the word... tumor. I felt like i was on a TV show, or having a bad dream. The good news is, there are much worse things out there, and now you know what it is, you can get it dealt with on with your life. You sound like a strong person, and i hope you have a good support network. How old are your kids?

There are pros and cons to not having a treatment 'option'. Many who do have a choice, agonize with what is the right (and wrong!) thing to do. In a way you are lucky to escape this part.

Yes, surgery is very scary, but many here have 'been there, done that' and it will come and go and you will get past whatever comes from it. Try to get as much info as you can to be prepared for anything. Line up lots of help at home and find a surgeon you are comfortable with.

I am sorry you don't have a lot of time to get ready for the next step, but that's also less time to worry and wonder.

Keep talking and you will feel better. We are all here to help.

Best,
Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.