Author Topic: Joebloggs Update  (Read 37818 times)

sgerrard

Re: Joebloggs Update
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2009, 07:19:04 pm »
JB, I forgot that you are headed into fall and winter down under there. Brrrr! I'm glad it is spring up here on the top half of the world.  ;D

Also glad the whole Kay thing got squared away. She has a hat; you can't mess around with her.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

joebloggs

« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2009, 07:31:13 pm »
Yep sure is... the only good thing about it is it means Ma and Pa will have to put the fire on... nothing like a real wood fire when you're a bit chilly!

Yes you're right... you can't mess with the Steve hat owners!  Alas I don't have one so you can mess with me!  I'm just about to finish my second hat and scarf combo but I'll be sending that off to another friend... one of these days I'll actually keep one and then I'll have a hat too!  Woo hoo!

Right better be off... have an appointment with my GP doc today here in town to organise some physio... woo hoo!  Should be fun!

Cheerio

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2009, 10:22:43 pm »
JB, paddleboarding?  so soon?  That is so encouraging for me, I hope you get to do it and have a blast out there!  I bet the daffs and tulips would be so beautiful.  My cousin shears sheep in AU and I'm always jealous of such an adventure.  I mean, the job is not nearly for me, but I love to see exciting country!

Kay, you were also the very first person that I talked to about my AN and it was immediately after my diagnosis.  Having someone contact me immediately after putting myself out there was so comforting and finding you here made me feel instantly at home.  Knowing your story helped me to know that I would be fine no matter the outcome of my treatment and your beautiful faith and attitude only fed (and continues to feed) mine.  I know that no harm was meant in this thread, this forum wouldn't be the same without every one of its members.  (((((hugs))))))
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

joebloggs

« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2009, 05:15:24 am »
Howdy funseekers,

Sorry I've not put an update up for a while... not a great deal to tell to be fair!  Today is 6 weeks post op for me and I'm feeling better all the time.  More energy, greater appetite, less balance problems.  The balance is still a bit dodgy, particularly when I'm crossing the road (which isn't great!) but it's definitely getting better that's for sure. 

I tried driving the other day which was fine (I was only going 60km/h) but then again we are in the country here so it wasn't exactly like driving around a bustling metropolis! 

Following Nancy's lead I've decided to put up a few delightful photos of the old noggin for your viewing pleasure... warning scar photos below!  Also is a pic of my latest hat and scarf combo which are now safely in the post to the UK.

Enjoy!

JB xx

Photo of my delightful staples (37 all up from memory) after my giant bandage got taken off.  As you can see immediately post op hair was still growing right up to the scar... by 6 weeks post op a fair quantity around the scar has fallen out.

Another noice photo of the staples

My tummy scar which I think is quite substantial... did they remove an ovary while they were in there?? - did anyone else's nails grow like crazy when they were in hospital or just mine?  Out of control!  I think they put something in my drip to make them grow!!

Day before I had my staples out, nifty job my friend Sarah did of my dressing!

The day my staples came out 10 days post op... as you can see it doesn't look too bad!  It didn't hurt either!

My scar at 6 weeks post op... it looks really red in this photo but it must be my camera because it's not that red.  You can see the missing hair around the scar... it may or may not come back.. who knows!?

My latest hat and scarf I just finished on Ma and Pa's deck in Tassie... sucks to be me!!!

Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2009, 06:23:25 am »
Very nice photos, JB.

Your scars all look good to me. 

Congratulations on the wonderful recovery - and the new hat and scarf, too.

Keep up the good work - on both those fronts  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2009, 06:38:59 am »
JB~
Excellent photos!!  Keep up the good work!!

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2009, 07:00:53 am »
Oh, you're so beautiful.  I'm so proud of you and your progress.  I was just about to do my two-week update.  Thank you for your smile.  It warms my heart.  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

sgerrard

« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2009, 09:17:28 am »
Scars, schmars, the important thing here is the knitting! Nice garter stitch and super bulky yarn weight. You must sew up the hat after knitting? And I like the colors in the scarf, that's a lot of yarn changing going on. Nice work.  8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cindyj

« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2009, 09:20:03 am »
Great update, JB - you look just great!  Amazing how that incision heals so quickly, isn't it!  And with your lovely hat and scarf, no one would have ANY idea of what you've been through so recently.

Thanks!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

moe

« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2009, 09:53:50 am »
Great Photos and a wonderful commentary on your knitting skills!
Pretty scarf and hat, pretty hat, pretty face, and pretty long nails!
Keep up the fantastic progress :)
Maureen
P>S> Ah the wonder of youth.......
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

kimbo

• We do not remember days....we remember moments.
« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2009, 03:08:07 pm »
Thanks JB

The photos are great you look wonderful.  You are my inspiration for successful surgery in the future in either Sydney or Melbourne but thats not for a while yet.  Your type of recovery is what I hope for and aspire to.

Keep on keeping on.  Well done.

Kimbo.
Diagn 8/8/08 AN right 13mm x 9mm
mod/severe hearing loss & tinnitus
Translab surgery 05/17/2011
SSD & CSF leak x 4
Aussie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2009, 03:40:04 pm »
JB ~

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading about your steady progress in recovery - and the photo was delightful.  You look good in a knit hat and scarf.  Thanks.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LADavid

« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2009, 03:44:42 pm »
As Steve once commented on a show your scar thread -- "the tough ladies of the ANA Forum".  Looking good, Jo.  Glad to hear things are progressing so well.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2009, 05:52:47 pm »
Jo you look fabulous!  I love your scarf and hat, it looks so cozy and having the time to knit, I wish!  Nicely done.   ;D
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2009, 10:33:48 pm »
JB,
You said you teared in only one eye.  But you don't have facial weakness.  I thought those were related symptoms.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness