Author Topic: In wait and watch....and found out im pregnant...not planned !  (Read 2929 times)

tatianne

Im in panic mode...
I had my follow up MRI in January, saw neuro in Feb...he told me AN was no where in urgent state but felt it was time to move forward with GK consult...which should happen in june or july...
Im assuming I cant follow thro woth this pregnancy...anyone have any advice for me ? Anyone been pregnant with their AN
I believe mine is around 1.5 cm now
Im so sad right now.
T :'(
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

anissa

• My Journey
Re: In wait and watch....and found out im pregnant...not planned !
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 01:28:10 pm »
I'm sure that I was pregnant 3 times before I found out I had an AN and I'm sure it was there all along, does that count?  Hopefully it is slow growing enough for you to go forward with your pregnancy then take care of the AN afterwards.  Can you call your Dr. today?
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 01:31:31 pm »
Call your doctor, the surgeon. I know my AN was there for all 3 of my babies....There are some here who found out about the AN's during pregnancy. It is reported that the hormones can cause active growth and in hindsight I realize that is true for me. 1.5 cm is not that big, mine was 4 cm....

and congratulations.....
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

tatianne

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 01:40:13 pm »
thanks girls, my doc is gone for the day...I will be calling him first thing tomorrow morning.
Im only a few weeks, maybe 4 or 5.
Im so afraid because I keep reading that pregnancy hormones make this thing grow a lot faster and mine is already growing faster then average.
My an was 8 mm when I found it in july 2007, now its 1.5 cm...
Thanks again
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 04:39:11 pm »
Congratulations on being prenant.  I'm with the others in suggesting that you contact your doctor.  Just keep in mind that many times an AN will grow in spurts, so while there was greater than average growth over the last year or so, that doesn't mean that growth will continue at that rate.

According to your signature, it was reported as 15 mm in January 2008.  Perhaps another MRI / CT scan is in order to check growth now.  That should go along way in determining your options for treatment sooner or later.

Mine was 30mm (or 3cm) when I had mine surgically removed.  Obviously we're all different, however it certainly seems to me that you could wait for treatment until after the baby is born.  Check with your doctor to be sure as he has more specifics about your AN.

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jwh

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 06:04:12 pm »
I went through 2 pregnancies with my AN.  I didn't know it at that time but all went well with the pregnancies and AN.  My AN grew at a normal rate.  You should be fine.

Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 08:39:04 pm »
I found my AN 1 month after my second child. It was there all along. Your going to be fine. After you give birth then choose your options.
CONGRATULATIONS!
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Keeping Up

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 04:51:39 am »
Congratulations

I was more than likely pregnant with my AN (I have four little ones - the eldest is six).  While my AN is small, I bet you it has been there for a while (and possibly years since I had a bout of hearing loss way back in 1994).  I did some googles whether hormones have an impact - it seems inconclusive.  (I was researching from the perspective of birth control - but a similar hormonal event  .... as we say in this house, no drive for five.)

Calismama might be able to help.  One of her doctors even suggested waiting until after having another baby before choosing a treatment option (radiation has a wait period). Her tumor was pretty substantial (greater than 2cm).  These things grow slowly - check with your doctor - I am pretty certain it will be a non-issue.

Now, you can focus on the stresses of pregnancy instead of the stresses of ANs ... and the outcome is usually so much more rewarding!!!

Oh, and I have a not planned baby - we call him 'well loved, not well planned'.  [I found out I was pregnant four days after returning from mat leave for my third  .... ooops!]

Ann

dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 05:03:57 am »
Tatianne,

Your pregnancy may not have been planned by you, but sometimes things happen that are wonderful.  Even when you have an AN.  We are all here for you and the younger gals can give you all kinds of advice on how their pregnancies were different or what they did about treatment.  Just know that we care and I am always available for Grannyhood.......................
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

mk

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 07:29:37 am »
Tatianne,

As you can see there are plenty of us who had pregnancies while having an AN, without even knowing. I am sure that both my pregnancies happened while I had the AN, since mine was pretty large when it was finally discovered. I had no symptoms what so ever, so I was clueless about the AN. However both my pregnancies and deliveries went very well. So certainly you can have a safe pregnancy while having an AN and you can obviously deal with your AN after having the baby. Again, there are quite a few cases on the forum where this was done successfully. It is true that there is speculation about ANs growing faster while pregnant, but since yours is still small, even if this happens you will be able to deal with it.

Oh, and  congratulations!

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 08:49:45 am »
Hi. I'm sure that this isn't the first time something like this has happened and your doctor will know immediately if it is safe to continue the pregnancy or not. I'm thinking it would be. Now if your tumor was 3+cm....that would be a different story as your doctor will not let you risk your own life for the sake of the pregnancy. Call your doctor as soon as possible..........
Unplanned pregnancies..........yep. I had four of them. 2 beautiful boys and 2 miscarriages. They are my world!
Let us know how things go.
Angie

bdsgurl

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 10:52:43 am »
I went through 3 pregnancies and know my AN was there all along, My doctors did believe that the growth hormone made the tumor grow a little quicker cuz my pregnancies were really back to back and when i wasnt pregnant i was breastfeeding, so my hormones were really on the crazy side. My tumor was almost 5 cm when i finally found it and had it removed when my 3rd baby was 6 months old, just a month ago! You tumor still being reletively small, i would be hopeful. let us know how it turns out, my prayers are with you, congratulations too!

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 06:56:38 pm »
Congratulations! 

Call your doctors and talk to them to figure out the best course of action.  I know my AN existed for at least my second pregnancy (I became symptomatic halfway through the pregnancy) and was probably there for the first as well.  I'm now 37 weeks pregnant with #3, 2 1/2 years post-op.

Let us know how things go!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 06:28:31 pm »
I went through 2 pregnancies with mine, without knowing.  I started having symptoms halfway through my first pregnancy, and was diagnosed with a very large (4.5 cm+) tumor when my 2nd was 6 weeks old.  I'm sure that the pregnancies made it grow, but these kiddos were worth it.

Vonda

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 06:36:08 pm »
Hello Tatianne,

Are you worried about the treatment while carrying a child?  I am thinking that you are afraid of having radiation while preggers.  I can certainly understand your fear about that.  Yes, that's a good question for the doctors.  They might delay your treatment until after the birth of the child.  Then, again, it might not interfere with the baby at all.  Something to find out about.

Congratulations by the way.  Babies are wonderful!!

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode