Author Topic: 9.5 months from surgery, 5 months pregnent!  (Read 3716 times)

calimama

9.5 months from surgery, 5 months pregnent!
« on: March 15, 2009, 06:34:27 am »
At long last I come here to share my latest triumph... I am pregnant!

Those of you who were around here in the first half of last year when i was in the desparte decision making phase will remember that one of my big concerns in choosing surgery vs. rads was my desire to have another babe soon (i WAS 39, turned 40 last month).  One of the main reasons I chose surgery was due to this personal issue. I knew it was risky... but it was worth it (i say that now... ask me again in 6 months!).  One of the rad docs i mentioned suggested i wait until after having another babe to treat (with rads) the tumor. That was not something i wanted to do -- The AN was already med-large and i was so scared of increased risk to my face from waiting longer (i did end up with paralysis after surgery, temporary and recovering). That doctor said that i might attribute anything that went wrong with the baby to the rads, when the more likely culprit would be my advanced age (thanks doc). I did not want to add in any way to risks to potential babe. Also, i was told by another rad doctor that i should wait at least 6-12 months after rads (due to risk of swelling and other complications) to get pregnant. Didn't want to wait that long! I discussed my desire for a baby with the surgeon who ended up removing my AN. He said that as long as CT scan at 2 months post op looked ok, and i felt up to it, he saw no reason why we couldn't go for it. He could do the surgery within 2-3 months.  This was a big factor in my decision for surgery, and i really never looked back once i made THE decision. I have no regrets... especially now!

I also found out at my 12 week ultrsound that i am expecting....twin....identical...BOYS! OMG! THis is really going to be interesting. So little Cali will finally get those siblings that she probably has no idea she wanted. And i will never be able the leave the house again! My husband and i are thrilled, terrified, grateful.

I am happy to share this big news with all of you who helped me through this last year and those of you who are weighing your options now.  I think often there is no 'right' answer in what to do, but hopefully what feels right FOR YOU will work out fine and you will find yourself smiling (inside and outside) on the other side - however long it  takes.

Trish
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 07:32:40 am by calimama »
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Kaybo

Re: 9.5 months from surgery, 5 months pregnent!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 06:39:31 am »
Trish~
OH WOW!!  You said pregnant, but not TWINS!!!!  DOUBLE CONGRATULATIONS!!  I always wanted twins and it was down to my brother & I in this generation (all my cousins were much older) but neither one of us got them...maybe one of the girlies will have them someday and then I can be a Grandma to twins!!
Take care of yourself!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Keeping Up

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 07:12:35 am »
Congratulations Trish!!!!

The suspense was killing me.  As I have mentioned before, Trish and I live less than a mile apart - pretty shocking for this infrequent AN stuff.  So, I met up with Trish and her little one Cali way way back in early January.  While she knew she was preggers, she subsequently found out she was having twins.  Twins are so exciting - why is that many moms want twins?  I am glad she is having twin boys, because if she was having two pink bundles I might not be able cope.  [I have a bit of pink envy at the moment - and my daughter requested a baby sister for x-mas.]

As luck would have it, I ran into Trish and Cali yesterday at the park - we frequent the same park.  She looks awesome (and not big at all sweetie!)  We might be heading back this morning.

I cannot wait to meet these little bundles in July.

Congrats Trish, Cali and Fabian - what a great 2009 project compared to the 2008 AN!
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

calimama

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 07:38:03 am »
I had to come back quick to my post to reread (and correct all my little boo-boos as i had to jump off earlier).

Thanks Kay and Ann for nice wishes. Funny Kay, I had thought i might have twins too the first time (also very common in my family) and it didn't happen. Many people I tell share your sentiment... that they wish/wished for them. I did have suspicions that i might have them but turns out because they are identical, it has nothing to do with genes, and just a random fluke. 

Enjoy the park today Ann...it's gonna be a beautiful day. We might get there later this afternoon but we have the big b-day party shortly. So i gotta run!

cheers!
Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 07:54:10 am »
 :o  Wow!  Twins!  Congratulations!  Sounds like you made the right choices right down the line to me! :)

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 09:25:40 am »
Awww, congratulations, Trish!  Twin boys - how fun!  Daunting, but fun! 

Enjoy,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 10:04:13 am »
Trish -

totally awesome news - congratulations!!!  ;D

My twins - not identical (a boy and a girl) just turned 13 last month and I really miss the baby days.  They were hectic, but I enjoyed every minute - you will too.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 10:08:06 am »
Wow!! What wonderful news!  You have been doubly blessed and I hope the pregnancy and births are smooth sailing all the way.  Keep all of us "aunts and uncles" up to date on what is going on!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 10:23:38 am »
Oh Trish I am sooooo HAPPY for you!!!  Being the mother of four sons I can tell you, your baby boys are going to be Momma's boys!!!  I wouldn't have it any other way.  Two beautiful little bundles of joy and Cali being Momma's big helper. 

The miracle of life what a blessing!
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

LADavid

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 10:25:36 am »
Yea, Trish!  Congratulations.  What's your due date?
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 10:45:05 am »
Congrats Trish. How exciting! You will definately stay too busy to worry about AN stuff! What a great thing. What a blessing and little boys are sooooooo special. They take care of their mommy's! (forever) I would like a little girl someday but if I had a 3rd boy I'd be just as blessed and excited! ..........Enjoy and soak it all in! Hopefully in the next year I'll be posting the same (not twins) but pregnant! I'm nearing the big "40" so we must hurry! Did you have to do an amnio?
Angie

texsooner

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 10:57:23 am »
Awesome news Trish. Congratulations

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 11:02:02 am »
I remember when you were wrestling with the treatment vs. pregnancy question back then. Now comes the payoff!

One of my cousins had two sets of twins. I think he and his wife decided that if they were always going to come in pairs, four was enough! They are all grown up now and turned out to be a great family.

Congratulations and best wishes.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 12:06:10 pm »
Trish~

How did the DOUBLE VISION play a role in this???   ;D    ;D    ;D    ;D  I guess now you ALWAYS have double vision!!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 12:51:53 pm »
Hey Trish,
That is awesome, congratulations!!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.