Author Topic: BAHA Surgery on Webcast  (Read 2456 times)

Sonja

• Calendar
BAHA Surgery on Webcast
« on: March 16, 2009, 01:39:31 pm »
I know alot ot folks have questions about the BAHA inplant and surgery. Hartford Hospital has a webcast of a BAHA surgery. The webcast is an actual surgery performed on a lady that has SSD as a result of an injury (auto accident) when she was an infant.  There is also an audiologist on the program and they do answer questions that were sent in by live viewes (it was aired in January 2009). I hope this will help those interested in the BAHA and the surgery. Please do not view if you do not want to see the surgery(don't want to turn anyone off).

I had the BAHA inplant surgery at the same time I had AN surgery on February 18, 2009. I can not say that the BAHA was a piece of cake because it was done along with the AN surgery. I can say I am not having any recovery issues with the inplant. The processor will not be installed for 90 days to give the titanium rod enough time to anchor into my bone successfully. Alot of folks here have said the BAHA is a pice of cake in comparison to the AN surgery.

Here is the link to the webcast at Hartford Hospital.

http://www.or-live.com/HartfordHospital/1864/

Sonja
Symptoms 2005
AN diagnosed January 2007
Watch & Wait until now
Surgery (Translab) scheduled February 18, 2009 HEI (Dr. House, Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Stefan)
No servicable hearing in affected ear

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: BAHA Surgery on Webcast
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 02:39:34 pm »
Sonja ~

Thanks for the link.  I didn't have the 60 minutes it takes to watch the entire operation but I will at a later date.  This should be very informative for any potential BAHA recipient.   Kudos to you for finding and linking this for us.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sam Rush

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 03:58:51 pm »
 Very interesting and well done, but I think the audiologist overstated that BAHA can give "near normal" hearing.  It is nowhere near normal, but I find it  helpful in certain limited situations. I hope for the day when the technology will advance to the point that the processor does give near normal hearing !!!
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 05:58:04 am »
Sonja -

thanks for the link.  I'll watch the surgery later this evening when I get home from work.

I was awake during my BAHA implant - only had local anesthesia - and have often wondered what was going on that I couldn't see, so I'm anxious to watch the webcast.

I'm with Sam.  Although I adore my BAHA, it doesn't give me "near normal" hearing.  IMO it's the next best thing though.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 05:58:52 am »
Sonja,

Thanks for thsi link.  Like Jan, I was awake for my BAHA surgery (or most of it anyway) and was very curious regarding exactly what was happening.  I had read many articles and seen stil pictures of the procedure, but of course, it's not the same as actually seeing the surgery.  I found it really interesting to watch -- it was pretty much what I expected with a couple of surprises, but not many. 

Thanks again,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 01:59:39 pm »
Sonja -

finally got around to watching this Webcast.

I found it fascinating and very informative. 

Thanks again,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ScoobyDoo

• Budding scurvy pirate.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 09:15:32 am »
Would you compare BAHA's hearing to that of a hearing aid?  I found that a hearing aid could help me, but it wasn't even close to normal hearing.  It was certainly helpful, though.

Do you need complete SSD deafness for a BAHA?  I do have limited hearing in my rt ear.  Would a BAHA be an option?

Sonja -

thanks for the link.  I'll watch the surgery later this evening when I get home from work.

I was awake during my BAHA implant - only had local anesthesia - and have often wondered what was going on that I couldn't see, so I'm anxious to watch the webcast.

I'm with Sam.  Although I adore my BAHA, it doesn't give me "near normal" hearing.  IMO it's the next best thing though.

Jan
Budding scurvy pirate.

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 11:03:22 am »
thanks for sharing the link!!! that was cool!!!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 11:15:15 am »
Scooby -

I'm not a BAHA expert, but I'm fairly certain one of the requirements of the BAHA is that you have to be unilaterally deaf - 100% deaf on one side.

You also have to have some degree of hearing on your "good" side.

Jan