Author Topic: HOW DO YOU KEEP ON GOING?  (Read 3486 times)

Vivian B.

HOW DO YOU KEEP ON GOING?
« on: March 19, 2009, 11:16:56 am »
Hi everybody,

I am wondering if anyone has been experiencing same emotions. How do you find enthusiasm again in your daily activities knowing that you have something like this to deal with, whether you are waiting for treatment, whether you are debating treatment or whether you have had your treatment? How do you know you have made the right choices. Since I found about my AN, I feel almost robotic, at home at work, with basically no life in me. Is this normal? Even sleeping pills are not helping me. I would love to share your experiences.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Re: HOW DO YOU KEEP ON GOING?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 12:42:10 pm »
Hi Vivian,

First of all, you are entitled to feel like you are having an Out of Body Experience.  Finding out that you have a brain tumor is not something any of us expected or welcomed.  I remember feeling like you do.  I was just starting a new school year and was not sure that my classroom had meaning for me, much less the students in it. The first thing you need to do is read and research your condition before you make any decisions.  Send your MRI off to any doctor that you hear about--start with the House Clinic in LA.  Get as many opinions as you can before you make up your mind about surgery or radiation.  You will hear a lot of us talk about a gut feeling and it is true.  I went back and forth between the two approaches and eventually I knew what I could live with.  You need to be your own advocate because the medical profession is just like any other service industry.  The more you know, the better prepared you are to deal with them.

In the meantime, the people on the this forum--the forumites-are ready and willing to share our experiences with you and give the benefit of years of experience in dealing with ANs.  There is a wealth of compassion, wisdom, and much needed humor to be found here. 

Stay in touch and keep the questions coming!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 01:03:42 pm »
Vivian:

I'm 9 months post-op, and have my bad days. Sometimes I have bad weeks. The past 7 weeks were pretty miserable for me since I began treatment for headaches with Pamelor. The whole time I've had zero energy. That alone is depressing because I've confined myself to the indoors only leaving the house to go to work. I don't know how I managed to get to work, but I have. Just this week I've resumed my daily walk after about a 4-week interruption.

I find that maintining my routine helps keep me sane. Even if I feel like crap, I have to get to work. I find that once I'm there, I concentrate on my duties and sort of forget about my issues. There were recently layoffs at work and I'm doing my best to stay of the next chopping block.

Just as I'm getting back some energy, I get hit by one whammy of a headache. The entire morning I spent fighting the headache. Once again, I managed to make it to work.

I take it one day at a time with the hope that one day soon I will not have to take drugs for headaches.

What decision is it that has you in doubt? Are you scheduled for treatment? Maybe getting more opinions about treatment would help you.

Before my surgery, I read and researched and got several opinions before I realized that there was no right answer. I chose retrosig with the hope of saving my hearing and knowing that retrosig is often accompained by headaches afterwards. My word recognition is at 20%--yeah, pretty much useless. But I don't know that any other treatment choice would have come without the headaches.

Staying in touch with the AN crowd has helped me a great deal. I hope it will help you too. Post questions as often as you need. There's alway someone to lend an ear and provide support and make us laugh. Hang in there.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 01:17:27 pm »
If you hop over to this thread you'll find people, like you, who are trying hard to cope with the AN battle.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8593.0

All I can add is that it takes a lot of time for the brain to physically adjust, and it takes time for us to mentally adjust, and if you need help, by all means seek professional guidance and/or meds to help you get to the next step.  Everyone is different in how we manage this, and that depends on so many things, such as our overall personality, how bad our symptoms are, our support "team" at home, and a host of other things.  Don't despair, as it will get better.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 02:45:54 pm »
Vivian ~

What you're probably experiencing is a form of emotional shock.  Your life has been turned upside down by the AN diagnosis and you have a host of very important decisions to make.  Feeling disconnected is a way the mind employs to deal with overload.  You're worried - stressed - and that can be debilitating when the worry and subsequent stress cannot be controlled. 

First thing you have to do is face the harsh reality of having this tumor and the unavoidable need to address it, whether with radiation or surgery.  Although the options can be daunting, eventually you have to make a decision on how you'll treat this invader.  Frankly, any decision you make will be somewhat of a a risk.  You have to accept that reality, too.  As much as I wish it were otherwise, there simply are no guarantees here.  Whatever treatment you chose could have some side-effects or post-op/treatment complications.  It happens.  You have to accept that.  We all do (or did).   

Remaining positive is the key.  This is where, no matter your specific religion, having a spiritual life ('faith') can be very comforting.  It certainly comforted me when I was waiting for my surgery and has done the same for many others.  If that isn't a viable option for you, then simply doing the necessary research and eventually choosing both a treatment approach and a doctor is even more crucial than ever.  You simply must have absolute faith in your doctor, his knowledge and his skill.  Understanding that you cannot avoid some risk, you go forward with a positive attitude based on the fact that you're determined to get through this and will deal with whatever happens, if and when it happens.  Then, you try to distract yourself in whatever way works best.  Helping others and taking your mind off yourself is always a good plan.  Many can attest to it's effectiveness.  :)   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Vivian B.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 04:47:05 pm »
Thank you all for all your support. I am now in watch and wait, but I am already having anxiety about treatment options as you all say there is no right choice but an individual one that you can live with. The forum has been great and I will keep on posting as only the people who are going through it or have gone through it know exactly how you feel despite all the good support you may have at home. I have gone back to work as the first week and a half were difficult. Sometimes I feel as if I am not there or as if everything is moving without me as if I have stepped out for awhile. I am hoping that once I get closer to deciding, I will make the right choice. For now I am hoping that the wait and watch approach is the right one as recommended by my neurosurgeon. By the way I am from Canada, health system different here.  The symptoms I have are becoming annoying such as ear blocking, ringing, ear ache some headaches, but managable. I think the only thing I can't manage is my mental state of mind which I need to take control of otherwise I feel that I may start to get sick and won't have strength for either treatment. I wasn't able to eat for the first two weeks, slowly eating now but without appetite. I lost about 8 pounds in about two weeks, not healthy.

Thanks again

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Desilu

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 05:48:00 pm »
Hi Vivian,

I was on the watch and wait for 5 years. My tumor was very small. At the time of surgery, my tumor was only 5mm by 8mm, still small but now growing. I did my research as all the others have suggested and I too, had that gut feeling that I was finally making the right decision. Once it was made, I told myself that there was no going back and that I was going to remain positive no matter what the outcome would be. I realized that this tumor was not going to kill me, it might change my life somewhat but I would make the best of it. After surgery I had several temporary problems that most of us have experienced, But as I said they were only temporary. I have only lost 15% of my hearing in my AN ear. Believe it or not, this tumor gave me a second chance in life. It helped me to not take things for granted and enjoy each day as much as I can. When I feel down and depressed, I think of the moment I opened my eyes after surgery and realized I was still alive, a smile comes across my face, I feel truly blessed and realize that things really aren't that bad. Hang in there, you will survive this. I wish you the best. Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Mickey

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 05:56:28 pm »
Hi there! Right now you have made a choice of Waiting and Watching a while. Pesonally I think thats the best idea untill you establish youself with what you have. At the beginning of this AN journey is most probably the hardest. Try to take it one step at a time with knowledge and goals. Everthing should fall into place. I`m there with you going thru similiar things for close to two years. My life has pretty much been back to whatever normal can be. It took a little time from the first shock of everything just W+W untill something tells me otherwise. Believe it or not I`m actually feeling good! Keep the faith, your going to be alright! Mickey

Vivian B.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 06:03:17 pm »
Thank you Desilu and Mickey,

I am trying day by day to accept what is happening. What is freaking me out is as I said before, treatment options. I am confident now from everybody's comments, that when the time comes I will know which treatment to choose. I have learnt a lot from this forum and everybody is so supportive. I am lucky to have found it.

Please keep on posting your experiences.

Mickey, let me know if you find any new sites with information about treatment.

Thanks.

Vivian

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 06:52:04 pm »
Hi Vivian.

For me the I have the support of my girlfriends Pauline, Chris, Susie (who is battling lung cancer) and my cousin Teresa.  My husband has been wonderful, I've cried many nights wrapped in his arms.  I'm dealing with post operative issues and I am also watch and wait.  My sons' lives are busy with university, college, grade 12, and work.  They know when I'm having a bad day and will pick up the slack around the house.  They tease me, they love to talk about political and world events, our family life, what's going on with them.  My boys are mischievous and know how to get my mind off of my pain and they do keep me going.

My faith has faltered, no that isn't the correct term, my faith is evolving.  It is a becoming of age for me.  I have been blessed with so much, just reflecting over my blessings has helped me to tackle each glorious new day.  Headaches, facial pain and whatever else that comes my way is mine to deal with.  I am on meds and I thank my Drs and the GOOD LORD that the meds are there for me.  Maybe you need to go on an anti depressant. 

With a combination of my family, friends, the meds, my faith and this forum, my days are sunnier.....even in a wicked blizzard of snow or a powerful thunderstorm.  Somedays are a blur because I'm in bed or sleeping on the couch.  I've had to turn down many social occasions because I haven't felt well enough to go.  It use to bother me but not any more.  I need to do what is best for ME!! 

You will find your way Vivian.
Take care,
Anne Marie

Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Keeping Up

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 07:27:08 pm »
Hey Vivian

Give yourself time - and we should meet for lunch.

I was pretty sensitive for the first few weeks and out of skin for the first couple of months - and I can't say I am perfectly calm at this point either, but I don't think or let this AN rule my thoughts each day.  However, it has taken me a few months of a lot of time thinking about this situation to get here.

My 6 month MRI is now just over 2 months away - and I am finally not anxiously counting down the days (but trust me I am still counting).  I have moved into a happy zone of what will be, will be.  I have done way too much research - know way more about hearing loss than I think a healthy 37 year old should know, I have researched ad nauseum gamma knife versus surgery.  I have yet to meet the surgeon but my appointment will eventually be scheduled (gosh darn Cdn system).  I have spent countless hours researching - and the conclusion I have come to, it was a tremendous waste of time - I probably could have come to the same conclusion with much much less fretting, less lost sleep, less wasted time - time much better spent living my life right now. 

So, I have stopped fretting - que sera, sera.  On May 21 at 6am I will have my follow-up MRI, on May 22nd I will celebrate my eldest's 7th birthday (and have started contemplating the birthday party ... YIKES) ... then I will wait out until June 12th, yes TWENTY TWO DAYS LATER, I will get the results.  At that point, I will make the next decision.  I have accepted that it might have grown - but more than likely will not - I will remain in W&W.  I have absolutely no idea what choice I will make if W&W is off the table - think the options of surgery versus radiation both suck - and but don't really care at this point - one of the two, it will become obvious given the circumstances at the time. However,  I have decided that I will sacrifice hearing in order to avoid any treatment because it is the right decision for me.  As long as I have no seriously debilitating symptoms, I am in the camp of doing nothing.

Most important, once all that has played out, I will celebrate my baby's 2nd birthday ... and a few days later, Father's Day ... then after that, glorious summer.

For the record, I 'test' my hearing at home (and definitely have noticeable hearing loss), I have been having bouts of balance issues/vertigo/spins, my ear is full for a chunk of the day which makes hearing in loud rooms difficult because sound reverberates, my eye has an odd delayed blink on the AN side - but I went biking yesterday with my two eldest (my butt now hurts) and went ice skating today with the same pair,and a friend. 

I am having fun and this thing isn't going to ruin it.

Keep going, and give yourself lots of time - you will get there.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Vivian B.

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 07:34:29 pm »
Hi Anne and Anne Marie,

So good to hear from you. I will slowly get there I hope. It's just the anguish feeling and anxiousness that are still sticking around. So good to have all the support. By the way Anne I have all the same symptoms. As of tonight (I think) I may be moving to the next step in accepting that there is nothing for me to do right now until my next MRI which should be around September 09, then will come the next step. I am hoping as I get closer to having to make a decision, the right decision will come to me.

I keep on thinking as you said Anne, both options suck, but at least there are options.

Talk to both of you soon.

Vivian

Tisha

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 02:54:44 am »
Vivian,

I was devastated when I first found out.  I started having anxiety attacks and falling into a depression.  I couldn't eat and would get up and cry in the middle of the night.  Even now, 5 months later, sometimes I still can't believe it.

I found that first week to be unbelievable hard.  This forum helped tremendously and I just researched until my eyeballs hurt.  However, I couldn't function properly with the anxiety and depression.

I prayed and went to church and asked God repeatedly...not to cure my AN (I don't think it works like that), but to give me mental strength to get thru it..that is what I begged him...to make me mentally normal and i could deal with it.  Within days, I was back to my normal state of mental health.  Not happy, mind...but no more depression or anxiety.  I think he answers those prayers in abundance.   Once I was grounded again, I started sleeping normally and exercising.

I spent 6 weeks before making my decision, constant researching.  I have no regrets with CK, because I was having symptoms and knew I had to do something.  Right now the tumor is swelling, and hearing is just ok.  Sometimes I get sad, but I just don't got there.  I know this sounds terrible, but sometimes I read about all the true tragedies in the world and my problem seems liveable and insignificant.  That's how I deal with it sometimes and move on.

Wishing you the best.  Tisha
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 08:59:27 am »
Hi Vivian,

Sorry I'm a little late coming to this thread but thought I'd put in my two cents worth.  As you can see, the emotional rollercoaster you are on if a familiar ride to all of us.  Finding out you have an AN and then deciding how to deal with it is daunting, to put it mildly.  I was shocked and overwhelmed when I first learned I had my AN, even though I already suspected it.  Thinking you might have something and then finding out for sure that you do are completely different things.  My neorotologist was the second doctor I saw after my diagnosis.  His support and willingness to answer all my questions by e-mail made my life a lot easier. Finding this forum and all the wonderful people here also was a tremendous help.  I don't think I could have gotten through the AN experience nearly as well without all the support and information I got here.   Understanding exactly what was happening to me and having a thorough understanding of my options and most of the possible complications  of each helped me make my treatment choice.  I, as many of us have, just felt in my gut that my choice was right for me. 

The best advice I can give you is research, reserch, research.  I spent many a sleepless night researching ANs and their treatment on the internet.  Ask any questions you need to that will make your choice easier, whether you ask here or at a consultation with a doctor, or both.   Come here for information, to vent, have a pity party or whatever you need.  We understand what you are going through and will be here to support you however we can.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Vivian B.

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 09:33:04 am »
Thanks Wendy for all your good thoughts.

Vivian