Author Topic: HOW DO YOU KEEP ON GOING?  (Read 3485 times)

Vivian B.

Re: HOW DO YOU KEEP ON GOING?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 02:37:39 pm »
Hi Tisha,

Thank you for your support. Always good to hear from people with same experience.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 01:00:09 pm »
Hello Vivian,

I just responded to your PM. I know it feels like the rug was pulled out from under your life. I was very depressed for quite awhile. All the questions...the search for answers...the why me?...your life on hold.....I was so afraid of what was to come. The good news...there is a silver lining. Life can still be very good!

I was sitting in the waiting room before having the markers implanted for the radiosurgery feeling very sorry for myself when a 9 year old boy was wheeled in to the waiting area. We struck up a conversation while we were waiting and he must have sensed that I was feeling pretty down because he started trying to cheer me up. Here I was a big strong 45 year old man who has already lived a wonderful life faced with a non life threatening tumor being cheered up by a boy who is obviously undergoing chemo and radiation for cancer. I vowed from that day forward not to let this thing get me down. I'm not always 100% successful but whenever I catch myself thinking about myself all I need to do is think about the strength of that kid.

Today I have a very different outlook on the world. Like most folks I used to think I wish i could have this or that...thinking the grass was always greener elsewhere. I admit i still play a lottery ticket now and then but in reality I've already won the lottery. I was born into the greatest nation on earth at the peak of its power, during a time when medical science could do something about what ailed me....I would have died 100 years ago from childhood asthma and never grown old enough to drive into the city of my birth to one of the best hospitals on the planet for treatment of my AN in a football field sized proton accelorator. Of all the people that have ever lived on this planet I'm probably in the top 1% richest, and i'm just a middle class guy from Boston. When you think about what luxury we live with today you realize that kings and queens of the middle ages didn't have such luxuries. Even the poor in the USA of today live opulent lives in comparison to the wealthy of ages ago. We have so much to be thankful for.

Then for me..even more importantly...there is my family. My folks were two of the kindest most caring people on the planet. I miss my Dad terribly but my Mom gives me strength to this day. I have 4 great brothers and sisters, we watch over each other like hawks and are as close as we can be. My wife....I was lucky enough to meet my soul mate at 17. I love her more today than i did when we married. She continues to amaze me..she is my rock, my true strength, the best friend a person could ever ask for and an extraordinary mother to our girls. My girls...i couldn't be prouder or happier...they turned out like their mother...with a little bit of spice from me... ;)

Now for the silver lining.
After treatment...for the first 3 years I needed every bit of that support. I've had a hard time for sure and it was difficult at times to fight off the why me feeling. I struggled with work, often couldn't drive, yada, yada.... I was on a downward spiral for sure. I had gained weight from lack of exercise. Things didn't look good. Then I got lucky. My brother made me a gift of a standup paddleboard. It took me months to be able to stand for more than a few minutes if there was even a ripple on the water. Today i go out in conditions that people without balance problems think I'm crazy to try. Along the way I lost 40 lbs of fat and gained muscle. i'm in the best shape I've seen since I was 25 (I'm 51 and feel 30). I had a deep love for the ocean when I was young. Life had never taken it away but it had put roadblocks to access. My lifestyle now revolves around surfing...as soon as I finish typing this I'm headed out... the tide is right and there are waves today. The bottom line....despite all the issues...and i still have some...life can be very fulfilling. I'm having a blast!

My recommendation....understand that things will change...accept it....hell...embrace it...its a new you. Find something you can be passionate about that exercises your balance and work harder at it than you ever thought possible. The sense of achievement when you get over the top is just as important as what it will do for your balance.

Here's a little video of a "balance challenged guy" to help you understand where this can take you. I've never felt more alive than on days like this except for perhaps when my girls were born. PS..surfing is a LOT easier in clean surf.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOmZung9fv4
Last August I paddled 28 miles across Cape Cod Bay for charity...we're planning this years now.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org/

So...keep your chin up...keep fighting...find some passion....life is good.. :) :)

Bob

Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Anomar11

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 02:52:42 pm »
Hi Vivian,

I was dx Friday of Memorial Day 2008.  I became obsessed scouring for information, and discovered this board early on.  Like others have said, it was a tremendous source of comfort and information.  I haven't been on because after 6 months of obsession, I mentally needed a break.  My thoughts and prayers are with all of those struggling before and after treatment for this, as well as those suffering otherwise.  I have been given good advice by many here.  I am from the camp that wanted to avoid surgery if at all possible.  As has been mentioned, some of us lean strongly one way or the other, and it is a personal choice.  I live a good distance from any places treating this type of thing, so my initial appointment was not until the end of July at Mayo Clinic.  I was just told here by ENT that I was facing surgery and some tough times, but I'd be o.k.  I shot off a question to the Cyberknife Forum re: size tumor etc, and was told that it was possible I was a candidate for radiosurgery.  Knowing that time was on my side, I tried really hard to keep busy with summer, family activities.  My first appt. confirmed I was a candidate for radiosurgery, so then I decided I would set an appt. for after Sept. and getting my daughter to college.  It's a long story, but I did more research, decided I wanted cyberknife vs GK as my hearing is fairly good.  More time passed than I would have liked, but ultimately I had CK at Stanford Nov 10-14.  During this time, 2 acquaintainces were diagnosed with end-stage cancer - one has since passed.  One dear friend is almost to the end of his time with ALS (Lou Gherig's) sp ? disease, and a work acquaintance was dx with ALS around the same time as I with the AN and he's been given about 1 year to live.  My nephew has end-stage renal disease which is very prevalent in this country, so I have been involved in learning about this, as I was screened to be a donor.  If people are lucky enough to get a kidney, they must be diligent about meds, etc. and it's not a permanent cure.  The kidney will wear out.  It's either this or they deal with the rigors of dialysis daily.  There are many who make the most of it and it's now part of their life.  But initially, they didn't want that either.  I'm rambling.  As has been said, you could say "why me" but then why not?  One of lifes puzzles.  I believe there's a reason, and I need to learn a few lessons.  Just my perspective.  I do look at life differently.  I'm more grateful, as others have said, I'm more patient, I'm trying to slow down, and see life from other's perspective.   One of the forumites said,  something to the effect that maybe tomorrow, we'll be told we have something, and a little zap or operation isn't going to make it better.  That hit home.  I got to this point after alot of shock, why me and obsessing.  I'm now almost 5 months out and overall have been doing well until a bump in the road last week end with bad vertigo.  It was nice be aware this was not out of the norm from so many on this board.  You'll get to a place of peace too, it may take some time.  Keep researching, asking questions, take one day at a time, then when you do come to your gut decision, it may be beneficial to step back for a piece of time and give your mind a break. 
This will settle in somehow and you'll get along o.k.  Take care,  Mona
L An diagnosed 5/08 2.0 x 1.1 x 1.3 cm.  Cyberknife Stanford Drs Chang and Gibbs Nov '08.  One yr: 2.1 x 1.4 x 1.6, Two yr: 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.8, Three yr: 1.9 x 1.5 x 1.5, Four year 1.6 x 1.1 x 1.1, Six yr: 1.4 x .7 x .9

Vivian B.

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 03:38:35 pm »
Hi Anomar11 and Stoneax

Thank you both for taking so much time to acknowledge what I am going though. I am slowly but surely getting there, although my anxiety sometimes gets the better of me. Hoping to shake it off soon!

Talk soon.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 09:54:29 pm »
Vivian,

I going to tell you a secret.................shhh............I hope you can keep it.........anxiety still gets the better of me when I least expect it!!  Sometimes I know its coming so I do my best to get through it.  You are a smart cookie my friend, with a wonderful family, you will get there!!!  Everyone one of us on this forum knows what you are going through. 

Take care,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games