Author Topic: Stressed .... 1st follow-up MRI since surgery in October ....  (Read 3984 times)

Denisex2boys

.... Well, that inevitable day is almost here ..... this Tuesday I have my 1st follow-up MRI since my Oct. '08 surgery.  I then go for another Neuro. visit in April.  I am so nervous about it - this is my 3rd MRI throughout this process and they don't get any easier ..... this one they tell me can last up to 2 hours!  Why, I wonder?

I am just hoping that there is nothing of the tumour left - - they were very confident after my surgery and the CT scan that followed - I know I am in sure a FAR better place than some and I am so very thankful for that ...... I have a very close friend going thru cancer right now - so I really need to 'kick' myself sometimes and tell myself how lucky I really am!

I seem though to be at a stand still with recovery - - still, tip and side of tongue and facial numbness, headaches (albiet not as bad as they were), balance issues, and still no tears on the left nor saliva .... my face looks 'normal' other than a slight crooked smile and one eye slightly bigger than the other but to most - - no one notices - my residual effects all seem to be internal which is interesting in itself - one gal I have become quite close with does have very noticiable facial weakness but no internal facial, tongue or throat numbness - - - It relly is interesting how all our experiences are all so similar yet different .... BUT after all is said and done - - I am doing ok (Ok ... I mean excellent) and my hair is now about 1.5 inches long ......

......AND thus far I have raised $1,025. in sponsorships for the '5K Spring Spring' for the Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada .... so I am very proud of that :)  I would encourage you all to participate in your local runs - - or sponsor someone you know!

I am working 5 days a week now - - 3 days from 8:30-2:30 and 2 from 8:30 - 5:00 - - fatigue is not as bad ....... I am walking approx. 3 miles on my lunch break - - I do find that if I do not keep up the walking for the vestibular rehab - that my balance issues get worse.  I am also starting 'body boot camp' this Wednesday, so we'll see how that goes :O

I am also looking into either a BAHA or CROS for my deaf ear - I find this really exasperating now that I am back in the 'real world' with work and driving - I know it will take time to get used to - but it really knocks my equalibrium off kilter.

Anyway .... please keep your fingers crossed this Tuesday - - I know it's only an MRI - but YIKS! it is so confining!  :O
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 06:37:18 pm by Denisex2boys »
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Kaybo

Re: Stressed .... 1st follow-up MRI since surgery in October ....
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 06:34:19 pm »
Denise~
Sounds like you are doing GREAT!!  Good luck with your MRI!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 06:49:06 pm »
Congratulations on raising over 1K for your charity so far!  That's just awesome!

I have to wonder why an MRI would last 2 hours as well.  Mine was 45 minutes (only had one so far), and that was because it was done both without and with contrast.  Maybe they just want you to plan for that long just in case?  Like if there is a wait or something?  I don't know.

In any case, here's praying that your MRI comes out clean!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 10:23:24 pm »
Hi, Denise ~

Thanks for the update.  Your progress is commendable.  Even if you're not totally satisfied, you seem to realize that you're doing very well.  Your observation that AN patients tend to have similar but yet sometimes quite different experiences is dead-on, and I agree.  Your charity fund-raising work is exemplary and I wish you continued success with it, as well as a rapidly continuing recovery.  The first follow-up MRI is usually a bit daunting and can stir emotions and give rise to our fears but I trust you'll come through it with flying colors.  :)  Be sure to let us know the MRI results.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 10:36:42 pm »
Hi Denise,

Best wishes for a clear MRI.  You'll be in our thoughts.

Rich & Scarlett (SML)
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

kenneth_k

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 02:23:12 am »
Hi Denise.

I'll cross my fingers ;)

Kenneth

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 06:15:32 am »
I wish you luck with your MRI. I have my first post surgery MRI coming up on 4/22 and I am a little anxious as well. I don't have any real issues other than SSD and an occasional dull headache but I am nervous none the less.

I look foward to reading your results and I wish you the best of luck.

Cheers

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Keri

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 08:13:16 pm »
Hi,
I'm almost 2 months post op, and it's helpful to see your progress and what you're still dealing with at 5 months post op. I have facial weakness  / numbness as well, but none of the 'internal mouth' issues you were talking about. I thought what looked weird about me was my smile, but I just saw a few picutes of me and what looks weird is my eye. My 'good' eye looks like my bad eye. My 'bad' eye just sits there open, while my good eye is in more of a squint (I think it's tired from doing all the work?).

For some reason, I had a half dozen either MRI's or CT's at the hospital. 1 each before surgery. An MRI after surgery. Then a combination of either MRI or CT for the next 2 or 3 nights (in the middle of the night - the 'tube' was too busy during the day!). Half the time I was freezing, but I guess I got used to them. I just don't open my eyes and try to stay still so as to not prolong it. I was pretty out of it anyway. I don't feel so nervous about them any more. The first time I was.

Glad to hear you're making progress. Nice to meet you (I'm sort of new, and havne't  seen you before)!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Denisex2boys

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 01:07:02 pm »
Here are a couple of 'post noggin' MRI pics from the 24th of March '09 .....
I will be visiting my Neuro on the 17th of this month - so I still do not know if there is residual tumor or not ..... here's to keeping everything xxxx'd!

No more 'round' noggin ..... the 'spot' where the AN was removed ...

You can see the 'bands' in my brain as well as the plate on my skull ....
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Keri

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 01:45:43 pm »
Hi Denise,
Was the MRI really 2 hours? I can't imagine being in there that long.
Hope you're still doing well. I think it's great that you can work and get out and exercise at lunch! Wow.
So you won't know the results for sure until mid April or so? We hope all is well. Let us know.
I think it's great that you did the 5K for the brain tumor charity as well. I should do that sometime. I run a lot of races but have only done a few for a cause.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Denisex2boys

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 05:43:03 pm »
Thanks Keri ....

Actually the MRI was only an hour - LONG ENOUGH for me!  She told me my head was small and really had me all wedged in - that is the part I hate - I took a Gravol before I went and it relaxed me .....  No, I know nothing - - My hibby was a little miffed that I looked at the scans on cd - by know means do I even know what to look for - but did see some 'glowing' spots with the contrast portion - hopefully these are nothing as I am sure they aren't.

I go to LHSC where I had my surgery on the 17th - I am sure I will get a clean bill of health ..... may suggest though the possibility of the Baha or Cros .....

I have not run the 5K yet - it is on May 9th .... right now I am in first place for ONLINE donations - if I get the most online pledges then I will win a trip for two!  So not to 'toot' my own horn - but if anyone (especially fellow Canucks) wants to sponsor me - I can run in all our names!  http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?registrationID=599851&LangPref=en-CA

waypoint

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 06:42:16 am »
Denise, Good Luck on your followup. We pray all is well. Have you met with the Doctors? what was the outcome.
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 11:50:21 am »
Hi Denise-

Oh, your brain is so photogenic!!   :D  Actually,it is really nice to see a brain without a big white blob in it.  I did see some whitish spots in my first MRI (4 months) but the surgeons told me that it was just some of the fat showing up.  I am getting ready for my 1 year at the end of this month and am really anxious to see what it looks like.  Fortunately, I get the MRI and results all in the same day so I won't have to go through the agony of waiting and wondering and trying to decipher the MRI myself.

As always, Denise, I'm sending big hugs your way!  See you on Facebook....

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 08:32:05 am »
Ok, Denise.. your nose is straighter than mine! Mine completely bends off to the right! (dang diviated septum!) :)

Congrats on the fund raising and for the BT support you are doing! MAJOR kudos!  :-*  :-*  :-*

Will look for the updates to see how the appt goes...... unless I missed it here already ..... if that is the case, then shame on me!

Hang in there and congrats on great news thus far... and for ALL you are doing for BT patients! Truly!

Phyl :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Denisex2boys

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 10:59:03 am »
YEAH!!!!!  It appears I am tumor FREE!  My Neurosurgeon noted that there were a few areas of enhancement but is quite confident that this is scar tissue and I am to have another MRI in a year when things are more settled.  I do have some pretty cool ARTIFACTS though!  Weird reflections and such .....

At 6 months out my Dr.'s Assistant said I was doing terrifically and could tell that I was really working on rehab - - the residual issues - - numbness on tongue, side of face, no tears, etc may or may not come back but she did stress that recovery can take a couple of years.  But you know .... I am ok with that - and even if I do not get the full coordination, balance, etc. back - there are a whole lot of people in a lot worse place than me and I am so thankful that this was not a malignant tumor, I did get him check the 'cave-in' on my neck though - which I am told is normal .... anyone else have this?

......  SO HERE ARE THE LATEST and greatest .......  - - my noggin WITH hair - -

The hair on the crown on the back was not shaved off (so right after surgery I looked like Moe from the Three Stooges) - - but I have since had this cut shorter to 'mush' in with the new hair growth....

Still a 'chunk' missing and the new hair is growing in fuller and in all different directions - - it is hard to even tell that I was shaved bald back here .....

'Strike a pose big mama' - REASON TO SMILE