Author Topic: update on that half  (Read 4057 times)

Keri

update on that half
« on: March 23, 2009, 09:16:32 pm »

Hello,
Remember the half marathon on the calendar last week? I finished! Kim's husband also ran as well. Here we are at the finish line...
Phil, Kim, Keri

The weather was perfect and cool. It was peaceful to run on the National Mall so early in the morning. It all felt pretty good! My husband and son were volunteers at the finish line. I ran slowly and was happy to finish.

I think I spent more time posting this photo (and cropping it to not be so BIG) than I did running the actual race!

Thank you to all for your support!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

anissa

• My Journey
Re: update on that half
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 09:27:18 pm »
Wow, congrats on finishing, that is fantastic!  I am just in awe of you, able to run it so soon after your surgery.   8)
Also, congrats on posting a photo, sometimes that is a feat in and of itself, ha ha. 
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 09:39:04 pm »
Cool!  8)  Can we see it big?  ;D

You have done such a fine job, I think I will leave the next half to you as well. I will take the MRI duty.  ;)

Congratulations!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

LADavid

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 09:48:28 pm »
Hey Keri -- as a Half veteran -- I am totally impressed.  Wow!  Way to go!
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Keri

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 10:08:38 pm »
Thanks everyone for the quick congrats!

Anissa - i totally agree about the pictures. You're new to this and you've already posted several great pictures. How do i get my profile picture on this thing? I put in the address and it says it's deleted!

Steve - if i ever decide to do a marathon again you'll be in that tube ALL DAY!

David - where did you run your half(s)? Aren't you and your daughter in training for one in the future? Most of mine have been up here in the DC / MD / VA area. I ran one in Florida once - too hot, too flat, surface too hard. It messed me up for a few months! I prefer cold or cool weather and a few wimpy hills.

I better go to bed or it will be headache time all day tomorrow!

Thanks,
Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

joebloggs

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 05:24:31 am »
Congratulations... I did a half a while ago pre-op... can't imagine doing another one in a hurry!!!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 05:53:47 am »
Congrats, Keri!  Now, that's a postie picture for newbies to see!

I, too, have done a couple of half's, but not post op...what a great feeling it is to finish - nothing like it, in my opinion...but to do it so quickly after your surgery, is awesome :o  Way to go!

Thanks for sharing,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

texsooner

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 06:15:21 am »
Keri, that's awesome. Congratulations from another half marathon postie. For you to have done it in less than 2 months from your surgery is amazing.  Thanks for sharing and keep on running.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 07:03:17 am »
Keri, Congrats on your accomplishment.  You have done what I couldn't do BEFORE surgery :).  I've never been much of a runner though.  I always told people the only time you'd see me running is if  1)  Somebody bigger than me was chasing me, and 2)  There was a beer truck with a tapped keg moving along in front of me.  :)

You guys look great, but it doesn't look cool to me in that picture.  It looks downright cold :)  Heck, It's time for me to go walking this morning, and it's 55 right now.  I was considering letting it hit 60 first :)

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

joeelmo79

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 07:25:37 am »
Way to go,  Now thats is impressive,  3 miles is hard enough for me, Well maybe like ernie said if I were chasing the beer truck and football game.  lol.   but really that is a very impressive Accomplishment.  keep up the good work

Joe

lori67

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 08:07:23 am »
Oops, guess I should have read this post before responding on the other one...

Well, I just knew you'd finish!!  That is so impressive.  Once I move out of TN (back to the wimpy hills of VA you mentioned), I hope to start running again. I've never been much of a runner either - I always said I didn't care who was chasing me - I still wasn't running.  Now, the beer truck might be incentive, if they also had chocolate on board.

By the way, there's a 5K coming up the weekend after Easter in South Jersey (about 30 minutes from Philly) if you're feeling really motivated.  It's a benefit for a scholarship fund in memory of my nephew Aaron who passed away 9 1/2 years ago at age 10.  And it's perfectly flat there - not even a wimpy hill!  I'm planning on doing that next year.   I'll pick you up on my way from Virginia Beach!   ;)

Congratulations!!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 08:33:51 am »
Congratulations Keri, looks like you couldn't have asked for a better day, way to go! ;D

Rich & Scarlett
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 10:01:22 am »
Keri ~

As a 'mature' guy who gets tired just thinking about running 13 miles, even on a sunny, cool day, I offer kudos to you and stand in awe of your dedication to recapture your life as you wish it to be.  I trust your participation in the half-marathon will serve as an example to other ANers who prefer to be physically active but harbor some trepidation about participating in somewhat demanding public events, such as you (and a few others, here) have.  Your example says: go for it!  Congratulations.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LADavid

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 10:06:08 am »
Hey Keri
In answer to your question, I ran a bunch of Half's when I lived in Atlanta.  They were on Thanksgiving Day -- the weather was always cold -- but I burned off so many calories -- that I could eat whatever I wanted for dinner.  Then I ran a couple in Miami -- you're right -- too flat.  Then I ran the La Jolla Half just outside San Diego -- and I missed the flat of Miami.  Incredible hill.  Then I ran the Los Angeles Marathon and swore off any long runs after that.  But I came out of long run retirement to run a Half with my daughter last October.  I'm still hobbling around on a bad knee.  No more Halfs!  But it did turn my daughter into an avid runner -- and she's planning to run more -- so there was a good outcome.  Congratulations to you again.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

allegro17

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 10:28:17 am »
Hi Keri,

Congrats on your half-marathon!  You give me a lot of hope about returning to normal activity after surgery.  Do you mind if I ask - how long after your surgery until you first started running again, and how much were you able to handle?  Did your doctor advise either for/against getting back to running?

Best, 

Laura