Author Topic: seeking doctors  (Read 2315 times)

dugan

seeking doctors
« on: February 21, 2006, 01:33:02 pm »
I  twenty-three-years-old and have just been diagnosed with a acoustic Schwannoma.  The tumor did not present any symptoms until about two months ago.  The tumor is already about 3.5 cm in diameter.  As surgery is the only realistic option, I would greatly appreciate a recommendation of a physician  My main concern for surgery is the preservation of the facial nerve and facial function.  I live in MA and was beginning to look into surgeons at MEEI and MGH.  Also looking into the House Institute.  What would be your recommendation?  If you had to do it all over again would you have chosen a different surgical team?  

Any recommendation you could make would be greatly appreciated.          

Thanks everyone,

Andy

jcinma

Re: seeking doctors
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 06:57:46 pm »
Hi Andy-
I also live in Mass and had my surgery for a 3cm. recurrence at Mass General 1 year ago.  As the tumor had adhered itself to the facial nerve it was debulked and I followed up with FSR at MGH to stop the growth of what remained. Aside from a occasional dry eye and numb tongue (both of which were present prior to surgery) my facial nerve is fully functioning.  First MRI in Dec. showed no growth.  My neuro was Dr. Fred Barker and ENT was Dr. Dennis Poe.  Both I would highly recommend.  Drs. Mckenna (ENT) and Dr. Martuza (neuro) are also highly regarded at MGH for AN surgery.  My care at MGH was terrific.
Jane   
1cm AN removed (lost hearing) 11/96
3cm reccurrence debulked to preserve facial function 2/05
FSR 4/05
Mass General Hosp. Boston MA

dugan

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 07:07:13 pm »
thanks alot for your info. Jane

stein78

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 10:43:12 am »
I was 26 last year when I was diagnosed with my 2.5cm AN.  My docs here in Chicago took great care of me.  My advice would be to speak with multiple doctors and see who you are comfortable with.  I spoke with Loyola in Chicago, HEI, and Mayo.  Best of luck.
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 08:46:34 pm »
Andy,

Besides MGH (Hi Jane!), I (today) confirmed that Dr. Peter Black at Brigham/Women's does approx 50 AN's per year. He not only is Dept Chair of Neurosugery at Harvard Medical but also is the head of Brain Neurosurgery at B&W. Please "google" him for his qualifications. Saw him in the office today... he's also awesome to work with!

Good luck!
Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"