Author Topic: Tara  (Read 8248 times)

TaraT

Tara
« on: March 25, 2009, 03:44:50 pm »
Hi Everyone,
My name is Teressa and I am Tara's sister.  She asked me to post a message to let everyone know how her surgery went on Tuesday.  She was in surgery for about 11 hours or so and spent the night in the ICU.  She was moved to a regular room this afternoon (Wednesday) and is doing very well.  I was able to see her for 1/2 hour Tuesday night.  She had a plastic protection-type covering on her ear then and was experiencing dizziness when she opened her eyes.  I saw her for 1/2 hour Wednesday morning and she said she had a good night in the ICU.  She is still experiencing the dizziness when she opens her eyes.  Other than the dizziness, she is doing extremely well.  The doctor's say everything went as planned and there were no surprises.  She is expected to remain in the hospital for about 4 or 5 more days.  Has anyone else had an experience with the dizziness?  Thanks for your support and concern - it means a lot to Tara!
1/7/09 2 cm AN diagnosed
3/24/09 Translab surgery
Dr. Chen and Dr. Aziz, AGH, Pittsburgh, PA
SSD right ear
Facial paralysis right side 3/6

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Tara
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 03:51:53 pm »
Hi, Teressa ~

Thanks for the update on Tara.  I'm pleased to learn how well she's doing!  When the surgeon says: "there were no surprises", that's always good news.  :)

Immediate post-operative dizziness is not uncommon and will likely pass and/or diminish.  Tell your sister we're happy for her, appreciate your report and look forward to seeing her first message as a 'postie'.  Then, tell her to rest.  :) 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 04:06:31 pm »
Thanks for the update Teressa!  I'm with Jim, no surprise is good news!  Hopefully the dizziness will pass soon, I don't know anything about it yet but I will soon...  Best wishes on your recovery, Tara! 
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 04:13:33 pm »
Hi Tara & Teressa,
So glad to hear that things went well!  I will be thinking of you both & praying for an uneventful recovery.
The dizziness could be caused by the balance nerve being either cut or receiving "stimulus" during the surgery.  If so, the effects will recede as the days go on and Tara begins to walk and do her exercises.
The best to you both,   :-*
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 04:25:53 pm »
Teressa and Tara,

As already mentioned, the dizziness is normal and expected.  It sounds like the surgery went perfectly, and now the healing can begin.  The nurses will be dragging you out of bed to walk soon.  This is to prevent clots from forming as well as beginning the process for the brain to get used to using only one balance nerve. 

Keep us updated and don't hesitate to ask questions.  It's one thing to read here and "feel" like you know what is coming, it's quite another to actually experience it :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 05:25:14 pm »
Teressa and Tara,

Sounds like the doctors were happy with the outcome. That is a good thing! I think pretty much everyone has the dizzyness afterwards, it's just a matter of time for it to subside. Please give Tara our best wishes for a speedy recovery. You are both in our thoughts and prayers.

Scarlett & Richie
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

joebloggs

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 10:18:42 pm »
Hi Teressa,

Like everyone else I had the dizziness too... still do a little bit, but only 2 weeks post op here.  The first 2-3 days were the worst, I couldn't really focus on people's faces very much because they kind of had 4 faces swirling about!  It got a lot lot better after about 3 days.  At first I couldn't look up for long because that made me dizzier so I would sort of talk to people but look at the bed rather than at them which is a bit strange - but it got a lot better.  She'll be much much better in a few days, you'll be amazed at how fast she gets better after the first few days.

Best wishes

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 10:56:36 pm »
Good, good, no surprises is good. Thanks for the update. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

LADavid

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 01:54:59 am »
Terresa -- Thank you so much for Tara's update.  Sometimes we follow pre-surgery patients right up to the day and never hear anything after.  We truly appreciate you who let us know what's going on.  As far as the dizzy -- a year and a half later I still have the dreaded wonky-head.  But it gets better day by day.  From an old Pittsburgher, wish Tara the best.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Trackman

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 07:23:46 am »
I had the same 2 Dr's and the same procedure that your sister had. The dizziness lasted about a week.

Mitch

TaraT

Tara
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 07:47:04 pm »
Hi Everyone,
This is Tara's sister Teressa again.  I saw Tara today and she asked me to let you all know she is doing well.  The dizziness has actually gone away and she was walking short distances by herself and without the use of a walker.  She is experiencing paralysis of her face on the tumor side.  She can't feel her tongue which is making it difficult for her to eat and drink.  She's happy the dizziness is gone, but now she is extremely nauseous.  She vomited all night last night and once today.  She also said the pain (pressure) in her head is terrible.  She is being given vicodin, but when it nears wearing off, she says it's almost unbearable.  The neurosurgeon stopped in to see her and said that, if she's up and walking today, she's ahead of schedule.  We're thankful for the good news, now just hoping the nausea goes away soon. 

I printed out all of your responses and took them to the hospital and read them to her today.  She is very thankful for you help, concern, and prayers.  Thank you everyone!
1/7/09 2 cm AN diagnosed
3/24/09 Translab surgery
Dr. Chen and Dr. Aziz, AGH, Pittsburgh, PA
SSD right ear
Facial paralysis right side 3/6

Kaybo

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 07:50:25 pm »
Teressa~
Glad that she seems to be ahead of schedule, but sorry that she is so nauseous - that too will pass, but it pretty much stinks while it is hanging around!
Sorry too about the facial paralysis, but that too should go away with time!

Tara~
Go slow and listen to your body!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 08:13:11 pm »
Hi Teressa,

I merged your post into the first topic. You can just reply in this topic to add an update. That helps keep the updates in one place.

I seem to be getting quoted a lot on this lately, but here is a chance for me to say it: the first three days don't count. You can't really determine how her recovery is going until a little later. Tara will get through these bouts of dizziness and nausea and pain and be much better in a few days. You'll see.

Thanks for doing the updates, too. Tell Tara to hang in there.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 08:54:29 pm »
Hi Teressa,

Sorry to hear that Tara is having a rocky road, however the fact that she is up and wallking alittle is great!

Last Thursday when I went in to see my wife Scarlett, the next day after her AN surgery, it was hard to see her mostly out of it, and unable to eat because of the nausea.  The next day it was like someone flipped a switch.  She was eating and walking to the bathroom on her own.

I know it's tough to see your sister going through this, but hang in there she will improve.

Thank you very much for keeping us informed, your doing great.  Be strong and please make sure to take care of yourself also. :)

Continued best wishes and prayers for Tara's continued recovery,

Rich & Scarlett (SML)
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

JulieE

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 07:10:54 am »
Hi Teressa, Tara,
11 hrs. is a long time to be under anethesia, and with me it took days to get out of my system so I could eat again.  Too much sodium in the cafeteria offerings, but they do have low sodium on request.  Fresh cut up fruit cups were the best, ginger ale, and lentil soup were great too (these my husband got from the local store.  I new I wasn't in a nuero ward when the cafeteria sent spagetti my first day in a real room - it kept sliding off the fork, and I lost my already disappointed appetite when I felt as though it was my brains on the plate before me - seemed like a cruel joke!)  Glad to hear she's up; hope the pain improves!
Best, Jules