Author Topic: Tara  (Read 8250 times)

Trackman

Re: Tara
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 07:34:54 am »
I had the same 2 Dr's and the same procedure that your sister had. The first week I ate only soup, scrambled eggs, jello and fruit juices. I also could not feel my tongue. Funny story - the day I was released from the hospital, they gave me scrambled eggs for breakfast, because I could not feel my tongue on the AN side, the scrambled eggs stayed on that side for about 4 hours then finally move to a part of my mouth I could feel. Everything will be fine, just give it time.

Mitch

cindyj

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 07:58:22 am »
Nausea is the worst, but hopefully, it will subside before too long...it should.  If she's up and walking already, that is good news and should help moves things along for her. 

Give her our best and thanks for the updates!

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 08:07:58 am »
Hi again,
I hope Tara's nausea has subsided by the time you see this post.  Throwing up after surgery is worse than the surgery, bless her.  We are all thinking of and praying for Tara and for you, too.  Your presence means so much to Tara; we know from our own experience how much support means.
We will be waiting for an update,
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

Keri

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 08:50:36 am »
Tara and Theresa,

I'm so sorry about the nausea - I hope that's better soon. I had the AN side facial paralysis as well (well, still do, but I've improved a lot 8 weeks post op). That does make it difficult to eat and drink. They gave me some mushed up food. Just to think of that now (plus the vanilla health shake I drank) makes me nauseous now!
I'm glad she's ahead of schedule on the 'getting up and about' part. That makes a difference in just feeling a bit more normal.
It'll get better soon!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

TaraT

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 06:22:22 am »
I AM HOME -- FINALLY HOME!  Got home yesterday -- Monday evening.  Long hospital stay.  I don't feel very well.  Going to take some of my pain pills and get on later.  Thanks for all the support and well wishes. 

Tara
1/7/09 2 cm AN diagnosed
3/24/09 Translab surgery
Dr. Chen and Dr. Aziz, AGH, Pittsburgh, PA
SSD right ear
Facial paralysis right side 3/6

joebloggs

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 06:35:33 am »
That's great Tara, hopefully you'll go from strength to strength now you're home... it really makes a huge difference - hospital sucks!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Kaybo

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 06:57:58 am »
Tara~
So glad you are home!  Listen to your body and REST when you need to - which will be a LOT here at first!  At least you will be in your own bed! ;)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 07:16:46 am »
Welcome home Tara, I bet you are so relieved!  Get lots of rest!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 07:49:23 am »
Welcome home Tara!

It's normal to not feel well right now.  You will see rapid improvement over the next few days.  Stay strong and get some rest.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

sgerrard

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 09:17:55 am »
Tara,

Welcome back, postie.  :)

Sleep for a week, and take care.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 09:19:47 am »
Dear Tara,
So glad to hear you are at home again.  We hope to hear soon that you are feeling better.  Though that may come in small increments at first, you will get stronger and better as time goes on.  Do do your exercises, etc., exactly as your physicians and/or p.t. have instructed.  And be kind to yourself; don't try to do too much.  Take some advantages; let people help you, wait on you, etc.!!!   :D
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

Keri

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 01:03:23 pm »
glad you're home. take it easy!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 08:53:59 pm »
Hi Tara,

Glad to hear your home ;D ;D

Time to rest, and take your meds on time (Scarlett learned that lesson the hard way).

Welcome home,

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

TaraT

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2009, 08:44:15 am »
Hi everyone!  I feel a little better today and thought I would get on and give an update.  I have been soooooo sick.  As you know from my sister, it was an 11 hour surgery.  They got the whole tumor and the facial nerve is totally intact and worked when they stimulated it.  After I woke up, my right eye closed slowly but lost its tone and does not close.  I also have right-sided paralysis of my face and a numb tongue.  The doctors are fully confident that everything will come back with time. 

I cannot say enough about the doctors and hospital.  Fantastic and caring.  Fellow Pittsburgers -- David and Mitch, they are the best aren't they?  I had Dr. Chen and Dr. Aziz but then Dr. Chen was off for a few days after the surgery and Dr. Hillman took care of me.  Mitch -- so funny about the scrambled eggs.  I had oatmeal in my mouth the whole day!  The nurses were great too.  I had one guy nurse named James and whenever I called him I would say I didn't feel good and he came running.  So nice.

I was in the ICU overnight and then moved to the ICU stepdown unit for the rest of my stay.  I got a private room -- yeah.  Thank goodness because any noise gets to me.  My husband got to stay in my room for my whole stay.  I had severe headaches and pressure in my head shortly after surgery.  I was supposed to go home on Saturday, but I am like I don't feel good, my head hurts so bad.  On Sunday morning, they did a CAT scan and found water on my brain and later in the evening did a spinal tap and found that I have aseptic meningitis.  With steroids it is slowly getting better.  They sent me home on Moday and I called back in on Wednesday still with severe pressure and headaches and they upped the steroids.  Feeling a little better every day.  I don't get much sleep.  Up every 2 to 3 hours.  I must have been good this morning because I slept in and my son is like isn't there school today?

I am having problems with my TMJ too.  I can only open my mouth slightly and my jaw is stuck back.  I will probably get PT for it.  I go next Thursday to get the stitches out and to see the neurologist. 

I know this is going to be a long, hard road, but I am so happy to be alive. 

You guys are so great.  So full of knowledge and support.  My sister just loves this site.  She said it is award-winning. 

Oh, I wanted to ask about the noise.  I feel like I am in a manufacturing plant.  It is soooo loud.  My ear did ring before surgery but now it is crazy.  Any other loud noise to my good ear hurts.  Any ideas on what could help? 

Well, have a great day everybody.  Time to lay down.  Take care!  You are awesome!

1/7/09 2 cm AN diagnosed
3/24/09 Translab surgery
Dr. Chen and Dr. Aziz, AGH, Pittsburgh, PA
SSD right ear
Facial paralysis right side 3/6

Keri

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2009, 08:56:12 am »
Hi Tara,
You sound upbeat in spite of the difficulties. I had the same experience you're having with the facial paralysis. They didn't think they damaged my facial nerve, it responded to low level stimulation during surgery but yet when I woke up - no movement. The doctors said "this will get better." I was a bit surprised. Anyway, it has gotten better (9 weeks post op) but my eye is still an issue , but my smile is getting back. There's a wealth of info here on how to deal with eye issues, thankfully.

I hope your infection clears up soon and the noises get more bearable. I've found they seem to change in noise, frequency, tone, just about everything post op. I'm still hearing things differently. I'm waiting things to settle down a bit before i check into something like a BAHA.

I wish you well. Thanks for updating.
Keri
My head feels weird!!