Author Topic: Open or closed MRI?  (Read 4659 times)

microsoftfree

Open or closed MRI?
« on: March 26, 2009, 02:40:07 pm »
Is one better than the other? In other words, more accurate?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Open or closed MRI?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 03:48:05 pm »
Becky ~

Supposedly, 'open' MRI images are not quite as clear as those from the traditional 'closed' MRI.  However, advances in technology have apparently narrowed the gap in MRI image quality between the 'open' and 'closed' MRI scanners.  So, it all depends on the MRI scanner (new or older) and whether you are able to tolerate the somewhat claustrophobic 'closed' MRI or not.   Remember that your physician can prescribe medication (tranquilizers) that you can take prior to the MRI session, so you can better tolerate the confined space you'll be in for some 40 minutes.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

microsoftfree

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 03:28:03 am »
Was just wondering. I hope I didn't mess up wanting my MRI sooner rather than later. I know the first date would have been a closed one because they asked about closed places. The place I had it was an open one. I still had the helmet thing, etc. Maybe that's why I had films afterward and not a cd? If something isn't found, maybe he will want a follow up in a year anyway and I can get a closed one then? I'll be sure to ask about it when I talk to him.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 04:32:18 am »
A good friend of my daughter's is the person who reads the MRI's and he said that the technology is not there yet for the open MRI's to read a process in the brain as well as the closed ones do.  He said the open ones are fine on legs, arms and sometimes the back and stomach.  He said if it were his brain he would want the best images possible.  I asked him because I have real issues with the closed ones and he said that it was better to get "knocked" out for a closed one than be comfortable in an open one.  He is gonna send me the info on both machines and as soon as I receive it I will share.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

microsoftfree

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 04:47:48 am »
I would really appreciate knowing what he says. I hope I didn't waste my money on them as 3 were done in total...brian MRI with and w/o contrast and Brain& neck MRA (checking inside my arteries for stroke). Of course, if something was seen, then at least I'll have something to work with, otherwise, I'll be kicking myself all over Texas! Wish I could read these stupid films! LOL (Weak and nervous)

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 08:02:34 am »
My experiences have been with  Open Mri`s.  When first going for one I was a little taken back by the closed.  I requested  Open and now have established a "base"  for which 2 more Open Mri`s W/ contrast have been established. Everything each time has come back "stable"  and there has been no problems. Next one in Aug. will be my first yearly. Good Luck, Mickey  P.S. if it ever got to a time to act I would do whatever my sergeon or radiologist sugested.

GRACE1

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 09:06:07 am »
I have had both closed and open ones.  I was diagnosed after an open MRI w/contrast.  The MRI immediately preceding my GK was closed w/contrast.  My 6-month post GK MRI was closed w/contrast.  The 2-year post GK MRI was open w/contrast.  I believe all upcoming MRIs will be open w/contrast.  All of the MRIs except the first were done at Wake Forest.  I would tend to agree with Jim that the gap has closed between the two. 

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

staypoz

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 09:51:42 am »
Becky: 

Your doctor may have a preference, so I would check with him or her. 

staypoz

microsoftfree

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 02:14:44 pm »
My doctor's office is the one that switched it for me so am assuming they knew, but will double check with the doc when I see him. I had no idea it would be an open until I got there and wouldn't have had the forethought to ask at the time anyway. The good thing, though, is that it is a relatively new machine as this place hasn't been open too long according to the doctor's office and that's why she sent me there because she was sure I could get in quicker.

Becky

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 04:05:13 pm »
My one year post op MRI was in an open machine in my city, & my neurosurgeon was not totally happy with the images when he received them in CA.  Year two was in a closed machine, at my request, but the images were not really clearer.  (Question not yet answered is whether a gray area is scarring.)  This leads me to agree with those saying that the new open machines really are as clear as the closed ones.
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 10:44:31 pm »
i have had both for my AN. my Ear or neuro surgeons didnt complain or say how great either was.

the open one was certainly better on me. i only had to go into it to my waist.

The 2 closed ones i had, the one MRI at Herman Hospital was hot, noisest, and closest id been in. very claustrophobic. and im 6 foot 2 and 235 so it was tight.

the other one at a newer hospital with closed was ok, but still took too long as far as im concerned vs an open one.
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

southpaw

• Yes, I am left-handed. Gotta problem with that?
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 09:03:29 am »
I've only had the closed MRI. I tried to get the open due to issues with small spaces. Unfortunately most of the open MRI centers near where I live have a 60+ day waiting list, the closed ones don't have any wait.  Never thought that many people had issues with tight spaces. Wore a blindfold during my last MRI actually fell asleep several times. The tech kept waking me over the intercom.
AN 3mm x 3mm x 2mm diagnosed March, 2009.
Symptomatic since June, 2006.
Currently in the watch & wait holding pattern.