Author Topic: Good news for a change  (Read 2891 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Good news for a change
« on: March 27, 2009, 10:09:27 am »
Hello to all,

As I type this, I am finishing my first full week of full time teaching after being off for 3 months, and it feels really good!  The kids have been wonderfully lenient with me as I forget what time they are supposed to go to music or PE, and it took me only about 5 minutes to re-grow the eyes in the back of my head.  :D  I am thrilled to be back in the classroom again, teaching kids to love good literature.

The best news is that the swelling aound my incision is gone and has shown no new swelling for about a week and a half.  Dare I think I may be over the hump and no longer a member of the disaster of the week club?  I called my drs. office this week to report on my progress as requested, and when I told Dr. Vrabec's nurse how well I was doing (as opposed to the last 6 weeks of dismal news), her reaction was a heartfelt "Thank you, Jesus!"  My sentiments exactly.  ;D  I still have a morning "hangover headache" most days, but they clear up w/a cup of coffee and being in an upright position.  My neck still aches like I have a tension headache, but I reach for the heating pad at that point.  I can live w/all the various aches and pains as long as I am able to go about my day w/out being confined to my bed!  Most days are pain free once I am up and about.

I am so grateful and feel so blessed.  This has been a joourney of faith for me, and God's promises are as real today as they were thousands of years ago.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

anissa

• My Journey
Re: Good news for a change
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 10:22:38 am »
That is wonderful news, yay!  I laughed at the part about the eyes in the back of your head bit, ha!  Here's hoping that each day you feel better and better!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 10:31:55 am »
Hello Priscilla,

What a wonderful post!  I love to see posts like this, where someone with weeks or months of post-surgical issues manages to finally find healing and peace!  You are right in that God works his wonders today just as he always has.  Thanks for sharing your positive outcome.

To you and to all teachers of our young - I salute you.  What a massive undertaking it must be to be responsible for shaping the minds of our youth.  I don't think I could do it.  Thank you.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 10:43:10 am »
Priscilla~
HOO-RAY!!  So glad to hear such wonderful news!!  "Thank you, Jesus" is right -what an answer to prayers!!  I know how it feels to be back in the classroom with all your kids after all of this - just wonderful!

Get ready for the cold weather - our storm is moving your way!!  Are you going to be around for Easter?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 11:25:22 am »
Priscilla:

Great news that you've gone back to work. I hope that eventually--sooner than later--your headaches go away. Continue healing.
Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 12:28:54 pm »
I typed the last post when my kids were in art.  Right after they came back, someone sharpened several crayons in my brand new, heavy duty $$$ pencil sharpener.  Sigh....welcome back, Ms. Maggie! 

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 12:38:17 pm »
Ah, yes, to be back to normal things like that - know it feels good!  Great to hear from you! 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 01:54:34 pm »
Priscilla ~

Thanks for a very bright and encouraging post relating your joy at being back to doing what you love - teaching children literature - and your sincere thanks to the Lord.  A sentiment that rings so true for most of us.  This kind of message really makes my day - and I'm sure I'm not alone in that reaction.  Thanks again and may you continue onward and upward until full normalcy is attained.  :) 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

microsoftfree

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 02:20:10 pm »
That's great news to hear! Maybe you could tell your kids that when you were in the hospital, the surgeon implanted several hidden eyes...keep them on their toes!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 03:18:20 pm »
Glad to hear the good news, Priscilla.

IMO all teachers are to be commended - it's a profession that a lot of us (me included) just aren't cut out for.

Kudos to you  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

andrea in slc

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 09:17:06 pm »
Yeeehaw! What nice news you have! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Add me to the list of those who just couldn't make it as a teacher! My hat's off to you!

Andrea

moe

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 10:21:08 pm »
Congratulations on back to work, and full time too!
Sorry to ask a dumb question but what is "IMO"?
Take it easy this weekend if possible (?)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 10:25:10 pm »
In My Opinion...
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 11:17:53 pm »
Priscilla,

I thought I was fairly clear in my post in another topic. As with Kathy, I decided you were done!  :D

I am delighted to hear that you are back at work and over it. Aches and pains that clear up with a cup of coffee and a bit of walking are normal.

I am sorry to hear about the fate of your new pencil sharpener, though. I am certain that I never did any such thing as a child.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 09:14:12 pm »
Hi Priscilla,

So good things are going well for you.  Kids ::) :D

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments