Author Topic: fat graft- incision site painful?  (Read 2511 times)

luv2teachsped

fat graft- incision site painful?
« on: February 22, 2006, 07:42:21 pm »
Has anyone had any pain in the area of their fat graft?  I am 9 mo post op and still have sharp shooting pains at the incision site.  I know I also have a large fibroid on the same side and thought perhaps it could just be aggravating it.  Any thoughts? luv2teachsped :o
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Kathleen_Mc

Re: fat graft- incision site painful?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 01:06:17 am »
My graft was taken from my leg so I've nothing to compare it to, your fibroid could be pressing on it if it is large and in that area. Bring it up to your family doctor next visit. My leg was more painful than my head post-op but now it doesn't give me any trouble. Kathleen
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 08:02:51 am by Kathleen_Mc »
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

wanderer

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 02:46:38 am »
yes I did,    but mine was from a colonized infection that caused my incision to burst.  (if you are talking where the graft was placed.)
Even now,  I sometimes get a bit of pain but nothing real serious usually.

If you are talking about where the graft was taken from,   I had trouble because the disolving stitches didn't disolve and I had to dig them out to make it stop being irritated. 

Rc Moser

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 01:34:07 pm »
If it's swollen or redish it could be and infection. I'd have a doctor check it. No sence in taking a chance.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

luv2teachsped

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 02:45:24 pm »
My fat graft is completely healed. It's painful inside my stomach!  Shooting pains , zaps etc... Just wondered if anyone else had the same problem.  Probaly woman more than men, since we have other plumbing there too!  Either that, or I'm just an over reactive female!  :Pluv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 06:09:48 pm »
I agree about having it checked, especially insisting that the pain is bothersome.  That's an understatement, huh?

An incision scar evolves.  It forms a red firm ridge, then changes to a firm pink ridge.  The ridge softens and changes to light tan over time.  I would have thought that by now yours should have pulled inward and laid down to a pink ridge.  It should not be red or sore at this time since you had surgery in May 05. 

Prior to a hernia repair, I studied abdominal scars on the internet that were depicted on plastic surgery patients, to prepare myself.  One year post hernia my scar looked pink and soft.  Two years post hernia, my scar looks light tan, almost invisible. This looks normal compared to photos I studied.

10 weeks post AN my fat scar is mostly soft, dark purple and has no healing pain left.  I have noticed my fat graft scar is jagged as opposed than my hernia repair.  The hernia repair was done by a surgeon skillled in plastic work.  AN surgeons probably know minimal plastic aesthetics.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 06:12:28 pm by Boppie »