Author Topic: Catheter, abdominal fat, spinal drain...what else can I expect?  (Read 6474 times)

DLM4me

From my research I see that I'm in for a number of things you wouldn't necessarily think of when talking about brain surgery for an ear tumor.  I'd like to be as prepared as possible for what to expect, so help me out here!

Okay, I guess a bladder catheter is standard, correct?

Now what about making an abdominal incision to remove fat and use it for reconstruction?  (OH HOW I WISH they'd suck out a few pounds while they're there...  ::) )

Do they routinely place a spinal catheter as well?  Or is that done later if necessary?

Anything I've missed?

None of the above even begins to faze me.  I've been catheterized MANY times, while awake and while under, so that's not a big deal.  I've had HUGE abdominal surgery (hip bone to hip bone) so a tiny incision to remove a little fat doesn't do anything for me.  I've had numerous spinal blocks and epidurals, so the spinal drain is also not a big deal.  I just want to know what to expect when I wake up.

Middle fossa craniotomy 04/08/09, Drs Brackmann, Schwartz, et al, St Vincent/HEI in Los Angeles.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Re: Catheter, abdominal fat, spinal drain...what else can I expect?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 11:32:55 am »
Hi Grace,

I awoke with a large and tight bandage on my head, two IV's (one for each arm), a catheter, a device on my legs that inflated and deflated regularly to help decrease the risk of blood clots, and a dry scratchy throat from the intibation tube.

They didn't use fat for the procedure, perhaps they don't with retrosigmoid?  I doubt you will have a spinal catheter unless something unexpected happens.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 11:38:51 am »
Bladder catheters are the norm - basically because AN surgery tends to be fairly lengthy.  I made sure my docs inserted mine after I was "out" - since I've had it done when I was awake and hated it (ouch!!!).  Removal is generally not that bad so I didn't care that I was awake during that part.

Fat graphs also tend to be the norm - I had one with my retrosigmoid; I'm not sure why Ernie didn't.  The incision is typically not that big - and although most of us have asked, the docs usually refuse to take too much fat  :'(

As for the spinal catheter, it's not something most docs do but it seems to be getting more popular.  In fact, I'd never heard of it until some forum members started to mention it about a year ago.  I guess some docs like to place them during AN surgery in case the need for one arises (usually for a CSF leak). 

I don't know that I would have wanted a spinal catheter "just in case" but it was irelevant since my docs didn't suggest one.  Since I didn't have a CSF leak I can't really say if I'd have wanted one placed during surgery or not.

Jan   
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:40:28 am by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 11:54:04 am »
Well, aside from the already mentioned items, be prepared to think ice chips are the best invention since sliced bread.  Be prepared to be awakened by some sort of hospital staff every time you fall asleep.  There is nothing good on daytime TV.  Those Hospital "Quiet Zones" apply to only outside the hospital, because it will probably sound like a 6 lane highway inside.  Hospital food can actually taste pretty good when you can't taste anything.  Your first shower will feel like you've died and gone to heaven, and you probably won't use 3/4 of the stuff you've packed and brought with you.   :D

As far as the other stuff, ask them to do the catheter once you're "out".  And I didn't have the spinal drain either, so I guess you'll have to ask your doctor if he is planning on using one.  Again, most of that stuff can be done once you're snoozing.  And good luck getting them to do a complete liposuction.  I asked for it too, but to no avail.   >:(

Sounds like you've already had way too much experience in the hospital, so I'm sure you'll be prepared.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 12:02:33 pm »
OMG, how could I forget the hospital staff waking you up at all hours??  Thanks for that lovely reminder, Lori!

The mention of daytime TV brought back another memory for me.  When I woke up post op I had double-vision (had to close one eye to see TV normally - not that it was worth it - some bad stuff on during the day).  I had the double vision for 2 or 3 days post op then it mysteriously went away (thankfully).  Double vision does happen to some; not to others.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 12:25:34 pm »
I had the double vision too.  The sound of the TV bothered me, so I kept it off except when company was there and seeemd to want it on.  Luckily I was only in the hospital for 36 hours.  Yes, in ICU, they will come in every couple of hours and wake you up to ask you if you are sleeping ok.  Well, actually, they ask you who you are, where you are, etc.  I told them I was Barack Obama and was at the Oval Office.  My nurse just laughed and said I was doing fine :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

texsooner

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 12:27:30 pm »
Think most all has been answered. Just wanted to chime in that mine was like Ernie's....I had retrosigmoid and didn't have the fat graph(and I know they could have found some if they wanted it!).

Good luck

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Cheryl R

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 12:36:01 pm »
The Univ of Iowa doesn't do the fat graft for mid fossa but does for the other types of surgery.   
The catheter is left in until you are able to up walking well.      I have never had the hair shaved until I was asleep.        Will have the SCD compression stocking on post op and mine were until I was up walking  frequently.     The ted sox are left on the whole hospital time.   
If you wear glasses then take a pair with one bow missing due to the lovely big bandage.      Lip balm is a good thing to have also.     
   No fun to already have had surgery experience.                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

kenneth_k

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 12:57:54 pm »
When you wake up from surgery, you might feel dizzy and sick because your balance is messed up and because of the anestethic drugs.
I actually vomitted a couple of times :-[, but the nurses said it is pretty normal. Besides, who hasn't tried to vomit in public at least once in their youth ;)
If they offer you something against nausea, I say go for it.

Regards, Kenneth

DLM4me

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 12:58:36 pm »
Damn!  You mean they're NOT going to take out all that blubber around my belly?   :o  You think I could bribe them?  ;D

Yes, I've had way too much experience with surgery and hospitalization.   :(

As for bladder catheters, I've had them numerous times--for prolonged periods--so having them inserted and removed while awake doesn't faze me at all.  (After my daughter was born--and she weighed 10 pounds--my urethra and bladder were so damaged from her birth that I had a Foley catheter in for three WEEKS, with frequent changes.  Fun!!  I also had them for days or weeks following various major abdominal surgeries, too.)

The ice chip thing...my teeth are ULTRA sensitive to cold, so that's going to be a mixed blessing.  I hate the dried mouth and unable-to-swallow-throat following surgery, but ice chips hurt!  (Funny...I'm bothered more by sensitive teeth than major surgery.  ??? )

EDIT:  About the glasses: I only have one pair right now--a good pair, and I'm not going to break it!!  I wonder how I'll make do?  I only need them for things like reading or using a computer--neither of which I imagine I'll be doing a lot of in the hospital. :)  Still, though, I'd like to be prepared so I don't know what I'll do.  I can't just get another pair made because I know my prescription has changed since the last pair, and I'm in no shape to go for an eye exam right now.  Oh well, it'll work out somehow.

About TV:  I'm so used to having hundreds of channels to choose from (what DID I do before DirecTV?) I don't know what I'll do without them.

I ALWAYS tell the anesthesiologist prior to surgery that I get VERY nauseated post-op if I'm not given anti-nausea meds, so that should be okay.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 01:05:43 pm by DLM4me »

Middle fossa craniotomy 04/08/09, Drs Brackmann, Schwartz, et al, St Vincent/HEI in Los Angeles.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 02:40:07 pm »
Damn!  You mean they're NOT going to take out all that blubber around my belly?   :o  You think I could bribe them?  ;D
 No, unfortunately you can't bribe them, but be sure to ask anyway. I think we all feel so witty when we ask them to remove as much fat as possible ... and all the medical folks will chuckle as though they've never heard that line before. I think they'd be disappointed if everyone didn't request it!

The ice chip thing...my teeth are ULTRA sensitive to cold, so that's going to be a mixed blessing.  I hate the dried mouth and unable-to-swallow-throat following surgery, but ice chips hurt!  (Funny...I'm bothered more by sensitive teeth than major surgery.  ??? )

When the time comes, you will be ready and willing to kill for ice chips. Your cold-sensitive teeth will be a very secondary consideration.

About TV:  I'm so used to having hundreds of channels to choose from (what DID I do before DirecTV?) I don't know what I'll do without them.

You probably won't care too much at first. When you do start to care, that will mean you're feeling better!

Best wishes!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 03:07:28 pm »
I think you're pretty well prepared, at least you seem so.  If not ice chips, sucking on one of those spongy thingies dipped in water was good for me.  I had retrosigmoid and no belly fat taken.  Also, they did everything while I was out; catheter, shaved head, etc, and when I woke up none of those things bothered me.  I was just happy to be awake!  I also warned the docs that I throw up after surgery so they put a patch on me and I was not nauseous at all.
Be well,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 04:27:45 pm »
DLM4me: 

While the bladder catheter is standard for these lengthy operations the surgeon may or may not use belly fat to 'fill' the incision space in your skull.  My neurosurgeon used a small titanium plate and screws for this.  He told me ahead of time he would be doing that, so you may wish to ask your surgeon about it, although the belly fat procedure is more common.  I suffered some mild, transitory post-op double vision but no nausea, just a lack of appetite, which was also transitory.  I was eating by Day 3 in ICU, which is a tough place to get any rest.  Fortunately, I recovered quickly and was moved and discharged by Day 5 (post-op). 

You appear to have the rest of the post-op contingencies covered.  Because the anesthesia takes a few days to dissipate in your system and the surgery is traumatic to your body, you'll spend the first few days, post-op, sleeping, so a possible lack of engaging TV shows won't really be a issue.  As we often say: "the first 3 days (post-op) don't count".  Well, actually, my fellow moderator, Steve said it first, but it makes so much sense that it's been 'adopted' as a standard assertion made to those preparing for AN removal surgery.  Here's hoping your preparations are effective and that you have a very successful, uncomplicated surgical experience, followed by a rapid and complete recovery.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jeanlea

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 07:34:23 pm »
Most everything I went through someone else has mentioned.  I didn't use any belly fat either, even though I was perfectly wiling to give some up.  :-)  I have bone cement and a titanium mesh plate.  The one thing I remember after surgery is that it took me about a day to remember that I could actually close my mouth.  It had been open for so long with the breathing tube in it, I almost forgot how to close it.  lol

good luck to you.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 08:19:39 pm »
I went to a local grocery store and bought a $15 pair of readers and took one of the bows off of that. That worked just fine and got me through until I was able to take the turbin off of my head. I also warned the docs that I would be nauseated after surgery and they assured me that they had very good drugs to help with that. Well, they weren't good enough and I think that was the worst part of the whole ordeal for me -- at least for the first 2 weeks. the thing that helped me the most with that was peppermints.

I had mid-fossa and no belly fat from me (although I have plenty I could donate!), and no spinal catheter, either.

Good luck,
Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.