Author Topic: Superficial question, sorry!  (Read 3962 times)

Lupy

Superficial question, sorry!
« on: March 31, 2009, 12:51:42 am »
This one is probably more appropriate for the women here but I was wondering what you did if you had long hair prior to surgery?

I am meant to be getting married next year and I have hair down to my lower back. I am toying with going to a hairdresser prior to my surgery to get some swanky short hair-do that wont look too weird when i have half my head shaved. Or should i just wait till after surgery to see how much they shave off? I am just interested to see what other women did.

I know it's a silly question and really shouldn't be a primary concern but its one of those thoughts that plagues me. You know, among the ten thousand other thoughts driving me crazy at the moment... :(

Thanks.
“Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved” S. Kierkegaard

2.5cm Tumour removed 1/7/2009
Retrosigmoid @ The Royal Melbourne
Debilitating headaches/migraines from 2 weeks post surgery till current.

joebloggs

Re: Superficial question, sorry!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 02:54:57 am »
I don't think it's superficial!  I think it's fine and dandy!  I'm three weeks post op and prior to the op I was thinking about cutting my hair (it was mid back).  Everyone said don't do it - they said wait till the op happens and you see how much they shave etc etc.  Well I can tell ya, I didn't listen to them.  I just thought, I have had long long hair since I was a kid (I'm 32 now) and I just wanted to take control of the whole tumour situation.  I thought if I choose to cut my hair and choose a change then it's not so "oh no your poor hair!" you know what I mean?  I chose the hair cut, I didn't have to have weird hair because of having a tumour.  Or at least that's the spin I put on it!  Plus, two weeks after surgery when you're only just allowed to wash your hair for the first time... believe me shorter hair is blissful!  It grows back quick, my hair will be the same length in no time and then if I feel like growing it back I can, if I feel like embracing the short hair, well that's cool too. 
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

microsoftfree

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 03:51:50 am »
Thank you for bringing this up. I'm new here and undiagnosed and am glad someone finally addressed this. I think every aspect of this disease is important because it's a disease that is very much survivable. Life will continue and life after surgery needs to be prepared for.

I have kind of an opposite question. I have always had very short hair and wonder if I will be able to keep my short hair after surgery. Does it grow back out close to the scar?

Becky

joebloggs

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 04:05:20 am »
You should be fine Becky - mine three weeks on you can hardly see the scar through the hair now, it's growing really quickly.  My scar extends a little bit beyond the hairline (not everyone's does) so people will be able to see it when I wear my hair up, but now it's there I'm kind of proud of it... it shows what I've been through and more importantly that I got through it.  I have a very small amount, a very thin line next to the scar where hair hasn't grown, but I think it will come back, it's just a bit scared to just now! 

There are some good pics of what to expect on the Acoustic neuroma facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/photo_search.php?oid=8190517727&view=all

Hope that works!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 05:21:37 am »
Lupy

This is not a superficial question --  it's very normal to worry about how you will look after surgery.  No need ot cut your hair Most docs will shave only as much as necessary and somehow keep the rest of your hair out of the way -- some use a very strong gel.  My hair is cut in layers and is a few nches past my shoulders.  I'm not sure what mine did but I think he just wrapped it in bandage or something.  When the headwrap was removed a couple of days after my surgery, my hair was loose and clean, no gel.   Wiith my hair down my incision and the shaved area were completely covered, my hair was a little thinner on my right and if you really look closely,  you can see a small chunk of hair is missing  but, no one would have guessed I'd had brain surgery.  I think most docs take pride in leaving us as normal lookiing as possible.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Pembo

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 07:37:38 am »
My husband asked the surgeon about cutting my hair at my preop appointment. My mind was reeling from being told I'd be in the hospital for 5-7 days and my hubby is asking about my hair. I was glad he did. I had past the shoulder length hair before surgery. I had it trimmed before surgery. After surgery I went and had it evened out. For me, it looked uneven (it was). A good hairdresser makes all the difference...and I have one of the best.

It's not a superficial question....us girls gotta have good hair. :)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 07:42:05 am »
We've talked about this many times before so don't feel funny about asking it!! ;)  My doctor actually told me NOT to get my hair cut.  I had a translab but they only shaved a tiny little strip behind my ear and then used the super gel.  JB has a good point, it might be eaiser to take care of short, but don't get it cut b/c you think you have to to have surgery!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 07:53:21 am »
I didn't even ask.  My neurosurgeon said, "Don't take aspirin for a week before surgery, and don't do anything with your hair."  I was so taken aback, I didn't know what he meant by that.  I thought he was giving me a compliment about my hair style and color.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 08:28:50 am »
Lupy ~

Although I realize your question was directed at the ladies, I wanted to mention that, being a guy, I probably have shorter hair than most women.  I'm an older man with a full head of hair and not particularly vain but I was a bit concerned about looking weird after my surgery.  I don't wear hats, but for a week or two, post-op, whenever I left the house, I wore a baseball cap to hide my shaved spot.  Within two weeks, the shaved hair had re-grown and the cap was no longer needed.  My barber did the rest.  Be assured that the days of doctors shaving half your head for skull/brain surgery are long gone.  A small strip of hair s all you'll lose - and that will grow back.  One less thing to be anxious about.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 09:41:28 am »
Lupy,
I for some stupid reason cut my short hair even shorter before surgery. Don't ask me why!  I think it was because I kept my hair short, and knew I wouldn't be able to have it styled for a while.
I had a translab so the incision is along my ear,and not noticeable.
So yea, trim it prior to surgery so you don't have to hassle with it.
I now have longer hair to cover up the BALD SPOT from the BAHA (I know, this is all greek to you).
They put in the hearing device during surgery because they knew that the hearing nerve would have to be cut. Strange- the hair did not grow back in that area.  ???
Maureen
JB- interesting  pics from that site you sited!

06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

bell

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 10:09:21 am »
Hi Lupy,
  Not a crazy question, I think we all think of how we will look after.
  I have fine hair, neck length bob, with alot of hair products!  I left my hair until after 2 months post surgery.  The scar is covered up by my hair, even as fine as it is.  I do not wear up yet because you can see scar through hair.  I think your hair will be fine, do not cut unless you really want a new style.   Good luck,  Bell

Keri

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 10:20:44 am »
Wait - that's my advice. I have long hair (mid back). They told me they would just shave off a bit behind my ear (for translab) but then they had to shave little dots off (coin size) around my head for MRI leads. This kind of freaked me out because it seemed like so much was coming off. Post surgery I had my head wrapped up and it was just all tangled everywhere. I could wash my hair about a week post op (which was nice). Before I washed it, I brushed it and it seemed like it was all falling out! I washed it (WONDERFUL, except don't get soap in your bad eye!) and then dried it, and the longer hair on top covered everything up. In fact, it's now a bit easier to take care of because it's thinner on one side (but people looking at me can't tell). It's now growing about 1/8" over my scar. I had gotten it trimmed a bit a week before surgery, and wish I hadn't that's the only thing that makes it look a bit uneven. But overall, considering how much I THOUGHT he shaved off, I have been pleased and it's all turned out alright.

Congrats on your upcoming marriage! You fiance may not want you to get it all chopped off either!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

cindyj

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 02:42:09 pm »
Yes, definitely wait, I'd recommend.  I have long hair and you can not tell anything was shaved off.  Only when I wear it in a ponytail can you see the short hair that has grown back since surgery - not an issue at ALL.

Now, it is pretty yucky post op til you can wash it, but that's just a few days or so.  Worth putting up with, I think!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 03:44:33 pm »
I agree, don't change your hair because of surgery.  My nerurosurgeon actually shaved my head himself, and he did a very fine job of shaving only what was necessary.  The gel stuff was awful, though, leaving my hair, post-surgery, turned up on one side & very matted.  My husband said I looked like a Hollywood star:  Phyllis Diller!  I was actually afraid the first time I had it washed, which seems weird, but my head on the surgery side felt so tender & my hair so matted!  But after a good washing, the surgery site was hardly noticeable.
You'll be fine!  Best wishes to you,  :-*
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

Lupy

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 05:17:56 pm »
Thanks everyone! I am glad to hear that my concerns are shared. i guess thinking about how you will look after surgery is not so silly! I think I will just keep my hair long (as I want it long for the wedding) and just avoid wearing it in a pony tail for a while!

Thanks again!
“Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved” S. Kierkegaard

2.5cm Tumour removed 1/7/2009
Retrosigmoid @ The Royal Melbourne
Debilitating headaches/migraines from 2 weeks post surgery till current.