Author Topic: Results are NEGATIVE!!!!  (Read 2330 times)

bambi81

Results are NEGATIVE!!!!
« on: March 31, 2009, 07:07:47 pm »
Hi everyone!!!

I was FINALLY told my results this afternoon.  They came back normal and clear.  I am very relieved, but at the same time, it is bitter-sweet to me after getting to know everyones stories.  I just want you all to know how much it meant to me that you were here for me. This experiance taught me to never take my health for granted.  It is a presious gift, and it is also a gift that I met you all.
 I am just stumped at what is REALLY wrong with me then.  I am almost scared that they mixed up my scans with someone else.  My symptoms are just too identical to everyone here.  I have to make an appointment in the morning to go back to my ENT and get more hearing tests done.  I have heard that viruses can cause similiar symptoms.  The nurse who told me my results said it could be a virus or something up with my eustation tube. Even though I am not an AN'er, I still will let you all know what is going on.  And the more I think about it, why didn't the doctor address these issues and ALSO order an MRI??  He didn't even examine me, just had hearing tests done and told me by the looks of them, he ordered an MRI.  (WHich I am grateful it was done, even though it cost me an arm and a leg I didn't have to spare....)
To everyone that has been around awhile, has this occured often??  I know I read on someone's post that only 7% of people who get MRI's actually have an AN. Has anyone got negative results??  If so, what was REALLY wrong??

Thank You Everyone, SOOOOO Much!! ;D

Whitney

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Re: Results are NEGATIVE!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 07:21:39 pm »
Whitney,

First, I'm SO glad that you don't have to deal with a tumor!  Our prayers have been answered!

As far as what else it could be, I'll leave that to your doctors :).  I think it's good that ENT's order MRI's when these symptoms present themselves.  It's important to rule out the more serious issues prior to moving forward.  Unfortunately, I can't help you any further because my MRI was positive :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 07:31:21 pm »
Hi Whitney,

Congrtulations, we are so glad to hear you are AN free.

You have made a mark on us ANers. Please do let us know how you make out, as we do care!

Hope you stick around.

Again, congratulations,

Scarlett & Richie
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 07:33:03 pm by SML »
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 08:06:15 pm »
kthanksbye  ;D

No seriously, you are welcome to stick around and share news about whatever it is you've got. It will be useful for the next person who has the same experience.

Your description of getting hearing tests, and the ENT taking one quick look and ordering an MRI, exactly match what happened to me, except mine came back with an AN on it. There are other things it could be. Some of them have names, sometimes it is something they can't pin down or fix. You will just have to see. The good news is you will most likely not be getting surgery or radiation any time soon.

Congratulations, take care, and let us know what you find out.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Keri

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 09:28:18 pm »
Thanks for letting us know (and I'm so glad for you)! I hope you do find out what's wrong soon.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 10:07:51 pm »
I am so excited that you are tumor free!  I hope that your Drs can help you control your symptoms and find out what is causing them.  Best wishes!!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 10:27:30 pm »
Whitney ~

Congratulations on receiving a 'negative' MRI report!  I won't be presumptuous enough to speculate, so I can only hope (and will pray) that your doctor(s) can ascertain the cause of your AN-like symptoms. 

That you now value your health as never before is a positive and of course, not only do I appreciate your kind words regarding the website and 'forumites' but like everyone else here, I'm pleased to have been a tiny part of your experience and will welcome your updates, as you seek the source of your symptoms.  Consider yourself a part of our 'family'.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

microsoftfree

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 04:35:03 am »
Cool beans, Whitney! So glad it came out negative!!! Please DO come back so when mine comes back negative, too, maybe our combined outcomes can help the next one who comes along find some help with their mystery.

My doc's office called back yesterday afternoon and the report is there, but the doc hasn't seen it. She could not be swayed to tell me. so I get my results "around the noon hour" and it's April Fool's Day?  ::)

joebloggs

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 04:37:25 am »
That's so great Whitney, I'm really happy for you - hopefully they can now concentrate on getting to the bottom of your symptoms!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

cindyj

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 05:44:47 am »
Great news, Whitney!  I think it was good that your doctor was pro-active in ordering the MRI for you - falls in the "better safe than sorry" category.  Know it's a relief, yet know it's frustrating not to know what is causing your symptoms.

Best of luck to you - would like to know what you ultimately find out,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 05:59:16 am »
I'm glad to hear you do not have an AN -- it's not something I would wish on anyone.  Please do let us know what is going on and how you are.  I find it very surprising that the ENT didn't exaimine you, that was the first thing mine did even before ordering the hearing tests.  Hmmm, go figure.  I hope whatever is causing your symptoms turns out to be something easy to treat.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

satman

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 06:23:13 am »
AWESOME !!!!
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 07:46:15 am »
Yippee!  Your symptoms must have mimicked those of an AN so closely that your doctor was certain of the outcome.  Mine made me wait six months when a repeat hearing test came up with the same results (or worse) before he ordered the MRI, but he was sure I wouldn't have an AN because they are very rare.
 :-[
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

bambi81

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 08:15:51 am »
Thank you everyone for all your prayers and uplifting spirits!!! I will for sure let you all know what is going on.  Happy April Fools Day, hope nobody gets FOOLED!!!!

Whit

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 09:23:57 am »
kthanksbye  ;D

No seriously, you are welcome to stick around and share news about whatever it is you've got. It will be useful for the next person who has the same experience.

Congratulations, take care, and let us know what you find out.

Steve

Yes Yes ... please stick around and tell us! ...   I also had a friend that was with my wife and I .. at the hospital ... talk to me about a year after my surgery ... and describe my exact symptoms (she had em!)... it must of been scary for her.. since she knew what I went thu ... It turned out to be a infection..... whew.....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital