Author Topic: Have Hearing test on Monday April 6th SCARED ITS AN  (Read 4749 times)

Patsy1960

Have Hearing test on Monday April 6th SCARED ITS AN
« on: April 01, 2009, 07:08:28 am »
Hi, I dont know if i have AN yet being treated for high blood pressure 48 years old Female tinnitus continuous in left ear occassionally in right ear.  I had a bad ear infection 3 years ago and have since noticed slight hearing issue in left ear.  Suddenly 2 weeks ago left ear started ringing, stops occassionally.  My internist cleaned out a huge plug of wax in left ear a week ago, ringing stop for a day, than ear throb like drum beat, i went back to see him he looked said looks like very small tear, keep water out and gave me antibotics went back 2 days later with still ringing referred by to ENT.  ENT looks at ear said looks fine, come back Monday for hearing test, and than dismissed me, he didnt even ask me any questions.  I am scared he will say after hearing test that i need an MRI.  Like to hear other people experiences.  Can i say i dont like the ENT no bed side manner.  Your stories are inspiring.
Thanks for any help.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: Have Hearing test on Monday April 6th SCARED ITS AN
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:48:14 am »
Don't worry.  In my opinion, that doesn't sound anything like an AN.  Keep us posted.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

bambi81

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 08:09:26 am »
I have just been through the ringer thinking I have an AN too.  I have tinnitus in my right ear and 50% hearing loss also in my right ear.  Left ear is pretty normal.  My ENT vacumed out a big clump of something too!! Couldn't belive all of it was stuffed in my ear!!  But I had hearing tests done too, a regular one and one that they place a sensor behind your ear and test the nerves.  I failed pretty bad I guess because he didn't even examine me!!  Just looked at the results and ordered an MRI.  Now, I had researched before I went to see him, and alot of signs pointed to an AN.  When the words AN came out of his mouth, I melted to the floor.  So from that day which was 2 1/2 weeks ago, to my MRI day which was a week ago, to yesturday, I was convinced I had an AN. I was a mess, obsessed with researchinging about it and putting all my responsibilies on the back burner. My results came back normal.  Still don't know what is wrong with me, but I'll figure it out someday!! It is MUCH easier said then done, but do try to take it one step at a time. The people that are on this sight are amazing.  If you have any questions or concerns, they are here. 

Whitney

Patsy1960

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 08:15:42 am »
 Oh thank you so much. I have been driving my husband crazy as i am constantly on the computer looking at stuff about AN.  He keeps saying have the hearing test before you panic, if he ask for MRI get it done and go from there.  But i am a medical panicker try not be be get it from my Mom.  I think this is the best site ever people actually reply.  Will keep you updated.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 08:19:18 am »
Hi Patsy and welcome.

Just FYI.. the only way to truly diagnose an AN (mass) is via MRI/imaging, hopefully done with contrast.  You may be experiencing symptoms that may fall in line with an AN, but since an AN is a mass, scans/MRI with contrast is what is typically done to rule it out.

good luck at your appt and hoping it is not an AN.... Please see if the ENT will order the MRI to help rule it out and (hopefully) bring you peace of mind.

Again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 08:19:59 am »
Oh thank you so much. I have been driving my husband crazy as i am constantly on the computer looking at stuff about AN.  He keeps saying have the hearing test before you panic, if he ask for MRI get it done and go from there.  But i am a medical panicker try not be be get it from my Mom.  I think this is the best site ever people actually reply.  Will keep you updated.

It's human nature to fear the worst.  I agree with your husband, especially regarding the MRI.  MRI's are painless (just a bit loud) and it's the ONLY way to be 100 percent sure that there isn't something growing up there.  If you are the type that will continue to worry even after the ENT says it's nothing, then you may want to even suggest the MRI to put your own mind at ease.

Otherwise...welcome to our group!  I'm glad you find the wealth of information helpful, but hope you ultimately end up not needing it :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Patsy1960

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 08:43:47 am »
Thanks i am pretty convinced i have AN.  Only because ringing hasnt stopped for 5 days straight and i am very clostrphobic (dont know if i spelled that right) and the thought of 45 minutes in a MRI makes me panic.  Did anyone have headaches on that side its my left ear.
The internist said my eardrum was damaged from impacted was there was a lot and damage from removal of wax but the ENT (can i say again i didnt like him) said there was nothing wrong with eardrum and ordered hearing test.  I am panicking cant help it.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 08:46:19 am »
Patsy,

A wise man (ok, my dad) once told me "never assume in life".... as it can cause unnecessary stresses in the end.

My grandmother had the same symptoms as you for years.. and never had an AN.  Her eardrum was perferated (as is my mom's).

Take a deep breath... see if he'll order the MRI.

Don't assume.... hang tough.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 08:58:24 am »
Hi Patsy!
Just wanted to say welcome to our happy, little group.  IF you do have an AN, know that it is NOT the end of the world and we will be here for you!!  I know it is scary, but try NOT to be consumed - for sure not until you know something definite!

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

bambi81

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 09:00:51 am »
Yeah, I waisted 2 1/2 weeks of assuming.  Now I have a pile up to my ears to get done because I put it off because of worry.  I have had ringing in my ear for 4 months now. I feel like I have a cup over my ear.  If someone talks into my bad ear it sounds think they are talking into a pillow. How wonderful it is!!!  NOT!!  I am clausterphobic too, big time!!  But, surprisingly, the MRI didn't bother me.  I was in the tube up to my knee caps.  They put a wash clothe over my eyes so I couldn't see and freak out.  It worked!!  I actually became relaxed enough to almost fall asleep, ALMOST!!! It is loud, but tolerable.  No big deal.  Just have your hearing tests done and go from there.  There are a million and one reasons for tinnitus and hearing loss, the AN is just one.  I just set up my appointment for Friday morning for more hearing tests!!  YIPPY!!!  ;)

Whit

NancyMc

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 10:18:00 am »
Patsy,
I am wicked claustrophobic.  After the first few MRIs, I learned about the open machine and have been doing that ever since.  See if you can find one on your own and ask the order be sent to it.  A lot of people have tinnitus and headache without AN, my best friend and surgery advocate/care provider has both and no AN.  I'm voting that you do not have an AN.  Please relax.  Just treat your symptoms and work your way through the diagnosis and/or healing process.
Best of luck anyway,
Nancy

Patsy1960

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 10:38:28 am »
Thanks so muc h,
Trying not to torture myself but its hard. Can i ask you what were the symptoms that lead to your diagnosis.
Patsy

NancyMc

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 11:09:32 am »
I felt like I had ear wax that wouldn't go away.  Hearing test showed hearing loss.  Thought it might be steroids I was on for arthritis.  Retested six months later.  Still hearing loss.  MRI.  1.1 cm AN.  Didn't realize I had tinnitus until I was told it was a symptom of AN.  Didn't know I had balance issues until the neurotologist made me walk around the perimeter of a floor tile.  No further symptoms while wait and watch for seven years.  Total hearing loss on AN side showed at hearing test to determine surgical approach.  I had no idea it had failed completely.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 11:12:32 am »
Hi, Patsy - and welcome to our corner of the internet. 

I have to go along with your husband (and our own Ernie) that you not assume you have an AN until it is a proven fact, which can only be definitively established with an MRI scan.  Doctors can prescribe sedatives to take before the test, to help your claustrophobia.  I think your peace of mind might be worth the effort needed to get through the 45-minute MRI session. 

AN symptoms almost always include unilateral hearing deficits as well as dizziness, vertigo, one-sided headache, loss of facial sensation, loss of taste and others.  It's a fairly long list and makes a clinical diagnosis of an acoustic neuroma impossible, hence, the necessity of the MRI scan.  Your ENT sounds disinterested.  Perhaps you can find one that takes your symptoms and concerns a bit more seriously.  Meanwhile, please feel free to post here as we want to help you as best we can, whether or not it turns out that you have an acoustic neuroma.    We don't 'discriminate'.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 09:49:23 pm »
Patsy -

while it's certainly possible you have an AN, tinnitus and headaches aren't definitive signs.  As Phyl and Jim said, the only way to know for sure is to have an MRI - usually with gadolinium contrast.

My symptoms prior to diagnosis were a feeling of fullness and diminished hearing in my AN ear.  After my MRI showed the AN, my neurotologist also proved to me that I had balance issues  :P

If it turns out you do have an AN, you're in good company and we're here to help in any way we can.

If it turns out you don't, you can still stick around - we don't discriminate  ;)

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways