Author Topic: Anissa's Updates  (Read 26287 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Re: Anissa's Updates
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2009, 09:57:43 am »
Talking on the phone?  I wasn't even awake for HOURS after my surgery!  Where are these super troopers coming from?  Congratulations to Anissa for doing so well. :o

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2009, 09:59:12 am »
JO,
At pre-admission testing now.  Met with neurosurgeon to sign consent form again as mine had expired due to being bumped from February date.  Next was chest xray.  Checked my laptop to be sure it is up to speed with wireless network so Dave can work for the five days he'll be living here.  Checked out the family waiting area which was packed with people and tension . . . rather unpleasant if you ask me, but there are pleasant areas beyond its walls.
I'll let you know what transpires in this place as soon as I can.  It, too, is packed with people waiting to be served.
Nancy
Oh, when Dr. Barker listed possible complications, I said, "Yes, but not with you guys.  You're the best."  He tried not to smile.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2009, 10:41:36 am »
WAY TO GO Anissa.... chatting on the phone, unbeleivable.  Hope today is going equally as well.  I didn't talk on he phone for a few days and then only to my kids. 

Take good care of her Chris,  try to keep the residents away....good luck!

patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2009, 02:10:05 pm »
Chris and Anissa,

The hard part is over, so let's raise a toastie!
Our dear wench Anissa is a brand new Postie!

I was thinking of you yesterday while I was hanging out in the Tube O' Gloom getting my tummy MRI'd.  This whole thing is in your rearview mirror now--let the healing begin! Hope your recovery is a smooth sail and you get home to those young-uns soon.

Take care,

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 04:01:03 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2009, 02:25:41 pm »
Anissa ~

I'm about 14 hours late - but congratulations on a successful surgery and what appears to be a spectacular recovery!  I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I slept for most of the 36 hours or so following my surgery.  I feel like such a slacker, these days, with reports of you chatting on the phone within hours of your surgery and Ernie being discharged a day after his operation!  Well, I still think I did O.K. (I'm not as young as you folks) but I have to offer kudos to you, Anissa for your spirit and obvious resilience and much appreciation to your intrepid hubby, Chris, for taking the time to post updates.  Once again, I think prayers were answered.  Keep up the good work Anissa, and post as soon as you're up to it.  Thanks.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keri

« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2009, 03:45:09 pm »
great news, Anissa and Chris.
We're thankful all went well and will continue to pray for a smooth recovery.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2009, 05:10:26 pm »
It's me!!  I'm alive!  I made it!

Ok, I'll type until I get too tired to continue.  As you know, 11 hours, whew, poor Chirs and my parents.  My parents were not prepared at all and from the little poll we had here we figured on about 8 hours, hoping of course not to go longer.  They really worked and worked on that facial nerve and they still had to leave some cells, 2mm of tumor.  :(  However, they honored my wishes and left it there to preserve the nerve.  I'm not sure exactly what that means, if its just a thin strip stuck to the nerve or what.  The Dr. told my parents that there was a 90-95% chance that it wouldn't re-grow. 

When they woke me up my first question was "did you get it all?" no answer then "how long have I been out?"  When they told me how long I just started asking for Chris, know that was too long and he must be worried sick.  After they found out I was finished they went to grab a bite to eat because they hadn't eaten since breakfast, figuring a 4-6 hour ordeal and didn't want to leave.  What he didn't tell you was that everybody was looking for them and when they finally found me the first words I said was "where have you been???"  I feel bad now and apologized. 

I am on steroids and percoset.  The steroids should stop today.  The doctor told me that since they worked so hard on the facial nerve that he would be surprised if I didn't have facial weakness/paralysis but since the nerve is working fine so far that it would only be temporary.  My blood sugar is being monitored, its really high (205 this morning and just now 170) because of the steroids.  I had a shot of insulin this morning.

I've just been moved to my regular room and they say discharge on Saturday.  I've walked a little bit (to the bathroom) but plan on hitting the hall in a few minutes.  I did call my bff last night mostly because she's the one that had to put up with my bad jokes and gory details when she probably didn't really want to.  Coming out of the anesthesia was not bad, they didn't gas me, all through IV.  I visited with Chris and my parents for 2 hours after the surgery and actually laughed a lot. 

Well, I'm worn out for now.  I'm walking a bit and considered a "rock star" in the ENT Dept.   :D :D  Oh and good news, they are taking my IV out so I'm pretty much free from machines.  Believe me, after having two IV lines, an arterial line, and all the sensors its such a relief.  Now, if only I can get a look at my head...

Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

NancyMc

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2009, 05:13:38 pm »
Just look at that smile!  Unbelievable!

Mickey

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2009, 05:22:44 pm »
So happy your doing well! Best wishes, Mickey

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2009, 05:40:23 pm »
Really great to see your smile. Glad everything went well. Now you are a postie!

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2009, 05:43:23 pm »
Hi Anissa,

So glad you are doing so well.  You look great :)

Chris was excellent with the up-dates.  I don't know how I would have done on the play by play, but he did great ;D

Scarlett had a long day, and is laying down on the couch next to me, and wants me to tell you:  "It sounds like your going to stay in the hospital about the same amount of time as I did.  But, I didn't get up and walk around until the third day, then home on Saturday.  I was absolutely useless the first two days, and I am amazed at your energy.  Sending my wishes for a continued quick recovery".

Dito,

Rich & Scarlett

SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2009, 05:46:31 pm »
Congratulations Anissa-you have done amazingly well.  Rest up though, you'll be glad you did.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

NancyMc

« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2009, 05:47:08 pm »
Hey, Rich.
You were amazing!  Don't downplay your performance and your continued supporting role.
When do you anticipate Scarlett will be able to be left alone?  This is a question that I will be wrestling with soon . . . I hope.
Thanks.
Nancy

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2009, 06:02:13 pm »
ANissa (I accidentally typed an upper-case "N," but somehow it seems appropriate!),

Congratulations on your successful surgery -- you're looking great and it sounds as though you're doing quite well. Keep up the good work ... but don't work too hard; rest frequently!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2009, 07:13:59 pm »
FANTASTIC ANISSA[/glow]

SO HAPPY YOUR DOING SO WELL,  SAT RELEASE, WOW!  HAVE CHRIS CALL ME IF YOUR RELEASED BEFORE 11,  THAT'S WHEN I  WAS COMING DOWN.

HUGS
PATTI UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year