Author Topic: Anissa's Updates  (Read 26293 times)

TP

Re: Anissa's Updates
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2009, 12:57:51 pm »
You look wonderful.  Make sure you REST REST and REST. You may be feeling great and feel like you can do things but do not do anything for several weeks until your Dr says you can do stuff. I was quick to try and do things and was back in the hospital two additional times. 
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2009, 01:20:07 pm »
Anissa/Chris ~

As seems to be the norm, I'm the caboose on the end of a long train of congratulatory messages - but I had to post a comment.  Chris did an excellent job of updating us and seems to be a really good guy who cares about you - a lot.  I think you should keep him.  ;)

Your immediate post-op recovery appears to streaking along at a rapid pace and I'm sure you're going to do just fine.  In fact, I never doubted it.  :)  You appear to be much like my wife, Tina, in the sense that you're a practical lady who just gets on with it and so, has a relatively fast recovery, following surgery (she's had many - mostly spinal). 

It seems as if all the recent AN surgical patients that post here have experienced an unusually swift recovery, which is a very encouraging portent for you, Anissa.  Get the rest you need and move about as much as you can, when you can.  You look great in the photo you sent us and I'm sure there are even better days ahead.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2009, 01:23:04 pm »
Hi Anissa,

Nice snowy white pirate headgear.  Glad to have you back m'dear!  So glad you got to meet up with Miss Yootee before your surgery--she's a pistol, that one.  Wow,  released on Saturday would be great--it really is great to be able to get home after all this stuff, believe me.

Take care and welcome back!

Capt Deb

Pistol???????  just a feisty ole Pirate Wench,  me dear Cap'n Deb taught me well.... LOL

Hey,  just got back from the Hospital and saw the "ROCK STAR" .  Anissa is amazing.  This is truley one of those fabulous success stories. She looks "JUST MARVELOUS" and even seems to have  somewhat of an appetite, complaining about the food (now that's a good sign ;), I never even looked at the food let alone ate any of it). She was yaking on the phone when I got there.  Her smile is just as beautiful today as it was the day before surgery.  She didn't even seem groggy, but guess she was a bit "drugged"  ahhhh, I remember these pain meds  :D  Her dear hubby Chris is doing a fabulous job keeping the seat warm right next to her, I told him not to leave her side while in that hospital, and I don't think he has for a minute. She is truely a lucky woman to have him.  The two of them are very dear folks and I am so pleased this went so well. I am so happy to have met them.

Take Care dear ANissa,   and well see ya when you come down for the check up appt. in May.

Love & Hugs
patti UT  yootee
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

bowbelle

« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2009, 07:05:28 pm »
Hi Anissa and Chris

Just wanted to add my good wishes to all the rest as I don't think I will make it up to the U to see you, as I hear from Patti that you have your get out of jail card for tomorrow morning - how wonderful! Congratulations on making such fabulous progress thus far.  Will look forward to seeing you at your May appointment and will keep in touch.  If there is anything I can do please don't hesitate to let me know - you have my contact #s.

Hope that 3 1/2 hour journey goes by in a flash and that you continue to recuperate at your record-breaking pace  :D

with love
Denise

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2009, 10:29:41 am »
Hi everybody! I'm getting sprung from the hospital today although I'm a little indifferent about it.  I'm a little scared to go home honestly.  I'm still very dizzy and am afraid of having a sensory overload with the kids but I miss them so much, ah...  We are going to stay one more night in SLC just to get my bearings and head home tomorrow (Sunday).  Although I've had good results regarding nausea and facial nerve (no probs) it still has been painful and slow.  My balance seems to be fine, I'm walking on my own, I just can't do it for too long.  Instead of feeling better each day I think today might be the hardest so far but I might contribute that to feeling the full effects.  The Dr. took my bandage off this morning and I have dissolve-able stitches and there is some bruising.  I can't shower for a couple more days (ugh!) and my hair is matted down in places.  I guess I'm a little whiny today, sorry.  In talking to the neurosurgeon he said that he actually left less than 1 mm of the tumor on the nerve which is significantly less than the 2mm I told you earlier, he said it was not enough to be seen on an MRI so we'll see.  Anyway, that is the report for today.  I'm expecting some visitors from my hometown and I am totally excited about that, its just what I need today. 

Did anyone else have mixed feelings about going home or just feel so overwhelmed by all thats happened?  I know it'll be great to get out of here, its just hard to imagine returning to my life after all this.  Thanks for listening!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

sgerrard

« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2009, 10:41:00 am »
Hi Anissa,

I am actually kind of glad you are reporting a little bit of post surgery effects. You were sounding so cheerful, I was beginning to wonder if they really did the surgery!  :D

I suspect you are realizing that even though you did really well, you did just have a major surgery, and will be in recovery for a while now. You will need lots of sleep, and will be feeling new things as the medications wear off and the body starts healing up all the trauma it has been through. I think most people find that being at home is more comfortable, and that the food is better, but you won't be back in your usual routine right away. Let your butler Chris do all the work!

Take care and congratulations on your excellent outcome.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

moe

« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2009, 10:58:31 am »
Good advice, Steve.
Of course you are nervous to go home with all the noise and confusion. You may find yourself feeling worse once you get home, so it is important to listen to your body and rest/rest/walk/rest/eat/sleep/walk/rest.......
Repeat cycle.
No dusting, laundry, cleaning, embroidering.
NADA
take care and good luck :-*
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2009, 11:01:25 am »
I guess I'm a little whiny today, sorry.
Yeah, really, quit whining, Anissa.  Geesh!   ;D ;D ;D
You can say the same thing to me in a week!
I vote you go home.  The reports of the benefits are repeated on this site.
Seeing those little cutie pies and being in your own surroundings should make it easier to move forward.  Also, you don't want to catch anything in that place.
Good luck.
Safe home.  (That's an Irish phrase.)
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2009, 01:29:38 pm »
Hi, Anissa ~

Although I have to salute and admire your hyper-hasty recovery, I can see from your post that you're beginning to notice the effects of the surgery and, better yet, acknowledging them.  As I've previously stated, I completely understand your impatience to get back to normal but please don't try to set records, just follow your doctors instructions and your body's signals, especially when the 'REST' sign goes off.  :)  I'm sure that being home, in familiar, comfortable surroundings, with your family nearby, your recuperation will be expedited.

You're an inspiration - an excellent model of an AN surgical patient that had a successful removal operation and is recovering nicely, without any real complications.   May that continue until you're totally healed and recovered and can put this experience in your past and one day say: "well, that happened":)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

heyct

« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2009, 05:18:57 pm »
Hi Anissa!

So glad to hear everything is going well.

I think alot of us newbies could learn to try to take your positive, upbeat outlook on this whole ordeal. I know I am!

Rest up, best wishes,
Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2009, 05:43:28 pm »
Hi Anissa!

Actually, your recovery sounds pretty similar to mine.  Once I was home, I started to feel a bit worse.  The pain pills weren't doing their job, and my head felt more full.  Turns out it was swelling, and a round of steroids did wonders for that!

Like everyone here has been saying, listen to your body.  If you aren't feeling well, then rest.  When you feel a bit better, try to get up and get around.  Go on some walks, hit the malls, spend some money :)

Keep us updated...

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

wendysig

« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2009, 06:02:04 pm »
Anissa,

You areally are a rock star!!!  You look and sound (from your posts anyway) absolutely fantastic!!  I was anxious, yet nervous about leaving the hospital at the same time.  Glad to hear you're giving yourself one more day before heading home.  Post surgery life takes getting used to.  I know you are anxious to see your kids, and they are anxious to see you too..  When you get home, rest often laugh much heal well.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2009, 06:18:41 pm »
Wow, Anissa - long surgery, but it sounds like you are going tremendously.  I'm so glad.

Great picture!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

joebloggs

« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2009, 06:39:10 pm »
Hi Anissa,

I felt nervous about leaving the hospital too.  Although I was desperate to leave and get some decent sleep I didn't feel quite ready either as I was still walking really slowly... however having said once I got out my recovery came on leaps and bounds as I forced myself to walk around more and once I got some real sleep.  I made sure I had naps from 3-5 every day which REALLY helped.  Don't know if you'll be able to do that with the kids - but it really really helped.  I'm doing some more stuff now - my sister dragged me to a giant shopping mall the other day and although I was absolutely exhausted afterwards (and a bit grumpy) it was good practice.  I guess the main thing is let people look after you - I found that pretty hard, but it has to happen, you'll know when you're able to look after yourself and start doing things yourself. 

One thing - why can't you have a shower?  The nurses got me up for a shower the second day after surgery.  They helped me of course and I sat in a chair for it, but it was definitely fantastic to have running water on my skin.  Could you wear a shower cap to cover the wound and still have a shower with someone helping you?
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Lilan

« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2009, 06:26:14 am »
Anissa,

You are a great inspiration to me as I adjust to the idea of this surgery (waiting some more analysis by drs.).

Anyway, having never had any kind of surgery before myself (I'm starting at the top), :o I suppose there is probably almost a sense of euphoria at getting through the surgery with good results -- and inevitably that wears off and the "work of recovery" days begin.

I have also found that since having AN-type tumor and symptoms, I get grumpy about any new experience.  ;D It seems that I can handle repeating activities much better than adjusting to new ones. So it's natural I'd think that each "new step" in recovery will feel like a new challenge you don't really want to take on. But from what I can tell on here, these early days go by *so fast* in retrospect, you'll be back in a new routine at home in no time and on the upswing -- if not "improving every day," certainly improving every week!

Very best wishes during your recovery!  :)

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!